Spread Awareness for 60 years of Korean War Armistice and Reserve Discount Tickets for the 7th Annual KAFFNY, Oct 24-26. Read more
This project was successfully funded on October 20, 2013.
About this project
7th Annual KAFFNY @ Village East Cinemas Oct. 24-26, 2013
Most Americans know little about the ‘Forgotten War’ even with almost 6 million US soldiers being sent there to Korea. The country only enjoyed two years of freedom after thirty-eight years of Japanese colonial rule. With the start of the Korean War in 1950, Korea became a global battleground for outside communist and capitalist philosophies, further dividing a nation of homogeneous people. It set the tone for all modern wars fought by America, even to this day, where the definition of victory is no longer clear. This year’s KAFFNY program explores how the reverberations of this war are still felt to this day and how they are explored in the medium of film.
Five of our main program’s feature-length fiction and documentary films explore the forgotten history, the continuing impact of the Korean War, and relevant North Korean subject matter. Emphasis is being given to intergenerational and multi-perspective dialogue created through the films, recognizing the specific value for deeper critical engagement, dialogue in diverse points of view concerning the history of the Korean War vis-a-vis current views of North Korea.
We are a completely volunteer-run, independent film festival and 501(c)(3) non-profit, boasting a seven-year track record with no other purpose than to showcase the diversity of artists' perspectives that exist within our own community and in relation to other communities. We will use the funds to pay for our publicity, print materials, guest expenses, outreach efforts, and advertising, in order to properly promote our one-of-a-kind program on the Korean War, past and present. The more you donate, the more of us will gain awareness of the complexities of this ongoing global drama.
Highlights from the 7th Annual KAFFNY include:
- The world premiere of FADING AWAY by Christopher H.K. Lee, a seven-part documentary based on rare archival footage and the powerful recollections from a Korean War orphan who fled North Korea to the South as a thirteen year old – in addition to other refugees and former soldiers sharing their painful memories with sons, daughters and grandchildren...
- The east coast premiere of THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN by Joon Bai, follows the story of a young South Korean soldier caught behind enemy lines, who falls in love with a North Korean girl who cares for him, not knowing he is the enemy. The director is a Korean War refugee, now in his 70s, who has since built a successful American manufacturing business. This is his first feature film, entirely shot in North Korea, with all North Korean cast and crew.
- The east coast premiere of SEEKING HAVEN follows a young North Korean defector, Youngsoon through China, Laos, New Zealand, South Korea, Thailand, trying to make a life for herself while staying in touch with her family.
- A tribute to the late Korean-American film curator Dong-Sin Han who was instrumental in organizing the first American retrospectives of Kim Ki-Duk, Im Kwon-Taek and Shin Sang-Ok to American audiences at MoMA... We screen her recommendation ADDRESS UNKNOWN by Kim Ki-duk, where a mother and her biracial son live in an abandoned bus behind an American army base, where they and other characters around them, communicate through violence.
- Other program sections include the annual international Shorts Competition, a Forgotten War Shorts program (including exclusive preview clips from documentarian Dai Sil Kim-Gibson's new film, PEOPLE ARE THE SKY), Incubator for emerging talent, and a Visual Arts section, featuring artists working in new media.
Tickets and VIP All-Access
VIP All-Access includes all screenings and all parties. Look out for KAFFNY's Launch Party Happy Hour on Oct 3 at Barn Joo in the Flatiron... Warmup Party at SBD Gallery (old Kim's Video on St. Marks) with Seoulsonic and CMJ... Opening Night party at Fat Buddha in the East Village... and Closing Night party at Le Midi in Union Square.
Here's our bumper from 2012 (as a sample how your name/logo would look):
Here's our Street Ads banner, designed by Alfalfa Studio (your name or logo would go at the bottom):
Here's how it looks on 32nd Street in Korea Town, New York City:
Risks and challenges
Our purpose is to spread awareness about the Forgotten War, because it is untold American history, which can help us understand where we are today. As the remaining survivors and our veterans are now in their 80s and 90s, this is possibly our last chance to hear these stories from those who lived it. Be a part of the movement to self-educate.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or more
BUDDY: Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
FRIEND: 1 ticket to any screening ($13 value) + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
GUEST: 4 tickets to any screening(s) ($52 value) + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
GUEST PATRON: 4 tickets to any screening(s) + Festival Website Credit + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
VIP GUEST: 1 VIP pass ($150 value: festival all-access pass) + Festival Website credit + Twitter Shout Out!!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or more
SPECIAL GUEST: 2 VIP passes ($300 value) + Festival Website credit + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $350 or more
ASSISTANT PRODUCER: 4 VIP passes ($600 value) + Preferred Festival Website credit (as "Assistant Producer") + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
ASSOCIATE PRODUCER: 6 VIP passes ($900 value) + Preferred Festival Website credit (as "Associate Producer") + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
CO-PRODUCER: 6 VIP passes ($900 value) + Preferred Seating + Festival Bumper credit (your name/logo up as "Co-Producer" before each screening!) + Preferred Festival Website credit (as "Co-Producer") + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,500 or more
STREET AD SPONSOR: 1 Korean War NYC Street Ad Banner credit (your name/logo up in prime NYC location of your choice for one month!) + Festival Website credit + Twitter Shout Out! Acknowledge and spread the stories of Korean War survivors and our veterans!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or more
PRODUCER: 2 Korean War NYC Street Ad Banners credit ($3,000 value) + 6 VIP passes ($900 value) + Preferred Seating + Preferred Festival Bumper credit (as "Producer") + Preferred Festival Website credit (as "Producer") + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or more
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: 8 Korean War NYC Street Ad Banners credit ($12,000 value) + 6 VIP passes ($900 value) + Preferred Seating + Top Festival Bumper credit (as "Executive Producer") + Top Festival Website credit (as "Executive Producer") + Twitter Shout Out!Estimated delivery:
- (25 days)