What's an S Filter?
The S Filter is a reusable filter for AeroPress coffee makers. It's made of ultra-fine stainless steel mesh fused to a durable stainless steel ring. With more than 50,000 holes per square inch, it will filter smaller particles than any other metal filter (by far), and it won't clog, fray or absorb oils. We designed the S Filter to last for years, and we'll cover it with our Lifetime Guarantee (more on that below). We've already built the prototype, tested it (a lot!) and purchased some tools, but we need your help to launch this product. Your pledges will fund our Seattle workshop setup and the first production run of the S Filter.
What's so cool about it?
Good question. Here's why we think the S Filter is so special:
- It's truly reusable. We don't mean for 10 uses, or even 100. We built it to last for thousands of uses, because we don't believe in selling you products that are deliberately engineered to break every couple of years (like your toaster or fridge or washing machine!).
- It's the finest reusable filter in the world. The S Filter is designed with smaller openings than any other reusable filter. By far. With tens of thousands of holes per square inch and hole openings smaller than a human hair, the S Filter will brew a much cleaner cup than other reusable filters.
- It allows flavorful coffee oils into the cup (unlike paper). We precisely calibrated the openings of the S Filter so they allow flavorful coffee oils into the cup, while filtering out the smallest coffee particles possible. Any larger, and the coffee tends to be gritty. Any smaller, and oils are trapped in the filter and don't make it into the cup.
- It's made of 100% stainless steel (no plastic or silicone). We don't believe petrochemicals or processed wood pulp belong in our coffee. So the S Filter is made of 100% stainless steel, and we don't use any toxic chemicals to produce it.
- It's sustainable. To us, sustainable means a responsibly produced product that actually reduces your environmental footprint from coffee brewing. The S Filter will last for thousands of uses. We make it responsibly by choosing a material that lends itself well to recycling, minimizing energy and water in production, and mechanically cutting our steel instead of photo etching it. As a company, we’re committed to transparency with regard to our environmental impact, including energy and water footprint analysis. Check out our website for more information.
So, who are you guys?
Kaffeologie is a Seattle business that designs and builds reusable stainless steel coffee filters. It is run by two entrepreneurs, Nate and John, who founded the company in 2009. We started designing the S Filter last year.
What do I get if I support this project?
Some really cool stuff:
- The S Filter: Pledge $10, and we'll send you one of the first S Filters ever!
- The monogrammed S Filter: Pledge $25 and send us your initials. We'll send you a custom S Filter stamped with your initials. We'll stamp them on an antique printing press the same way we stamp our logo!
- The AeroPress coffee maker: Pledge $50 or more, and you can choose to receive an AeroPress coffee maker with your S Filter. The AeroPress brews delicious coffee quickly and travels easily so you'll never be without your cup of coffee. We'll even send you our favorite recipe to get you started!
- The Charity Jones custom T-shirt: Pledge $50 or more, and you can choose to receive a custom T-shirt created for us by artist and fashion designer Charity Jones. Charity is known for her unique, wearable designs that really pop on the street, and she'll be turning her talents toward making a unique and memorable shirt for backers only! You can check out examples of her work at her website.
- The Finca las Brumas coffee: Pledge $50 or more, and you can choose to receive superb coffee from the #1 Cup of Excellence award winning farm in El Salvador! This coffee has been selected by Mark Barany, roaster and founder of Kuma Coffee. Mark will roast your bag of las Brumas just before we ship it to you, and we promise you it will be awesome.
- The Porlex Mini hand grinder: Pledge $140 or more, and you can choose to receive a complete AeroPress travel or camping kit, including the beautifully designed Porlex Mini hand grinder. The Porlex is perfectly sized to fit in the AeroPress, holds just enough beans for a single brew, and is made of durable stainless steel with long-lasting ceramic burrs. The Porlex comes with click-based adjustable grind so you can dial in your grind accurately and it's also designed to reduce coffee fines during grinding with a stainless steel dual-fixed burr set axis. This is the grinder we use on the road, and we're very pleased to be able to offer it to you!
- The very first S Filter: Be the first to pledge $150, and we will send you the very first S Filter we produce in our shop. We'll even stamp it with your initials and production number "1" on the antique printing press we use for our logos. Get this one now, because someone else probably wants it...
When and how will you ship my cool stuff?
We will ship in September via USPS first class. If you live outside the US, don’t worry! Just add the extra postage for international deliver listed in each pledge level.
What if I want more than one S Filter?
If you want another filter, pledge an extra $10 (or $25 for a monogrammed filter). If you're interested in wholesaling the S Filter, please contact us.
What happens if the S Filter project is over-funded?
If we get more than our goal, we'll put that extra money toward producing some new filter designs for other coffee brewers. We are very close to releasing some awesome new products. Don't worry, we'll keep you in the loop!
Tell me more about this Lifetime Guarantee...
We guarantee all of our filters unconditionally. If for some reason you're unhappy with the S Filter, let us know and we'll make it right. We promise.
Come on, I want to see more pictures!
We understand. Here you go:
- (35 days)