Click here to pledge with PayPal (message me if you have problems or questions)
30 Caliber Bolt Action Bullet Pens!
I'm a computer tech by day and a wood hobbyist by night. In the evenings and weekends I like to spend my time making projects with wood. My latest find are these awesome looking 30 caliber bolt action pens. The ink is actually controlled by the bolt action. Sure to please all enthusiasts including: military, hunters, 2nd amendment and anyone else who just likes cool stuff. They are awesome! I'm making the pens in three different colors and in three different sizes! Pick your poison or get a trio to enjoy one of each size or color.
So you might be wondering since this is my hobby, why do I have a kickstarter page? Well, it may be my hobby, but I don't have any of my own tools! I'm constantly having to borrow from friends and while they say they don't mind I would love to have the money to get my own tools to use at home! A good lathe can cost several thousand dollars before adding in the shaping tools, then there is a drill press, a band saw, a disc sander, a belt grinder and many more random tools.
Raising this money will help me to work on projects without having to worry about scheduling time with someone else's tools. In addition to tools, the money will pay for the materials needed to create the pledge rewards.
I placed my goal very low, as I really want to do this project, even if I have to borrow friends tools to complete it. Ultimately I would to like raise $10K which would pay for for the pledge rewards cost and still leave me with enough to get a good start on my own set of tools! As we get closer to that goal, I am able to purchase the pen making materials in bulk and want to pass that on to you in the form of free bonus stuff!!!
- $ 500 -- Project is funded! Everyone gets what they want! (Achieved) . -and-
- $ 2,500 -- Free Wood Blank with every pen, if requested (Achieved) . -and-
- $ 5,500 -- Free Drawstring Pouch with every pen (Achieved) . -or-
- $ 7,500 -- Free Basic Gift Box with every pen to pledgers of $48+ (Achieved) . -or-
- $10,500 -- Free Premium Gift Box with every pen to pledgers of $48+ (Achieved)
- $15,500 -- Custom Pen Engraving options for all pledge levels. Engrave your initials, name, or phrase for a set add-on cost of $12. Read the update for more details.
$40+ - Mini 30 Caliber Bolt Action Pen + Wood Blank + Pouch
$50+ - Original 30 Caliber Bolt Action Pen + Wood Blank + (Pouch or Box)
$55+ - Magnum 30 Caliber Bolt Action Pen + Wood Blank + (Pouch or Box)
$125+ - TRIO 30 Caliber Bolt Action Pens (Mini, Original & Magnum) + Wood Blanks + (Pouches or Boxes)
$250+ - Make your own pen, I'll teach you and a friend! -- Any size pen and any wood you want! + Wood Blanks + (Pouches or Boxes)
$370+ - Everything! You get one of each pen in each hardware color. This is nine pens in total! Three mini, three original and three magnum of which one of each is chrome, gun metal and 24kt gold. + Wood Blanks + (Pouches or Boxes)
With each pen size you are free to choose the wood you want (of those listed below) and the hardware color. Hardware options are Chrome, Gun Metal and 24kt Gold. Each pen comes with one case, you can choose one of the three free cases (since stretch goals met) or you can upgrade your case to one of higher quality listed below in the optional extras. All choices can be messaged to me and/or submitted in the survey after the project finishes. The wood choices are below. Although I will try to ensure everyone gets their wood choice, I would recommend you pick a backup just in case. The below links are to the wood database if you want to learn more about a specific wood.
- Bocote: Has a yellowish brown body with dramatic dark brown to almost black stripes. Color tends to darken with age. Also, the grain patterning can be quite striking, particularly on flatsawn areas. It’s not uncommon to see many “eyes” and other figuring in Bocote: though unlike knots, they do not seem to present any special challenges in machining.
- Honduran Rosewood: Heartwood color can range from a deep brownish-purple to a light-brown. Most common is a brownish-mauve color. Clearly demarcated sapwood is a pale yellow.
- Cocobolo: Cocobolo can be seen in a kaleidoscope of different colors, ranging from yellow, orange, red, and shades of brown with streaks of black or purple. Sapwood is typically a very pale yellow. Colors are lighter when freshly sanded/cut, and darken with age.
- East Indian Rosewood: Heartwood of East Indian Rosewood can vary from a golden brown to a deep purplish brown, with darker brown streaks. The wood darkens with age, usually becoming a deep brown.
- Ebony: Heartwood is medium brown, sometimes with a reddish hue, commonly with dark brown to black streaks throughout. Clearly demarcated sapwood is a pale yellow to white.
- Zebrawood: Heartwood is a light brown or cream color with dark blackish brown streaks vaguely resembling a zebra’s stripes. Depending on whether the wood is flatsawn or quartersawn, the stripes can be either chaotic and wavy (flatsawn), or somewhat uniform (quartersawn).
- Yellowheart: Heartwood color ranges from pale to golden yellow, darkening only slightly with age. Sapwood is a pale yellow/white.
- Padauk: Heartwood color can vary, ranging from a pale pinkish orange to a deep brownish red. Most pieces tend to start reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening substantially over time to a reddish/purplish brown. Padauk’s initial orange coloration can be preserved through various finishing procedures; see the article Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods for more information.
- Purpleheart: When freshly cut the heartwood of Purpleheart is a dull grayish/purplish brown. Upon exposure the wood becomes a deeper eggplant purple. With further age and exposure to UV light, the wood becomes a dark brown with a hint of purple.
- Redheart: Aptly named, in some instances freshly surfaced Redheart can be a very bright, watermelon red—though color can vary in intensity and hue from board to board: anywhere from a light orange/pink, (similar to Pink Ivory), to a darker brownish red. In some cases, it can look quite similar to Bloodwood, though usually with a more visible and figured grain pattern. Redheart’s vibrant color quickly fades to a reddish brown in direct sunlight.
- Yucatan Rosewood: Typically a cinnamon brown, heartwood color can be highly variable, ranging from a light brown to a deep, russet brown. Grain tends to be somewhat bland, but darker streaks or swirled grain is occasionally present. Overall appearance is very similar to Honduran Rosewood.
- **Bethlehem Olive wood: There pen blanks have been imported directly from ISREL and include a certificate of authenticity! Heartwood is a cream or yellowish brown, with darker brown or black contrasting streaks. Color tends to deepen with age. Olive is somtimes figured with curly or wavy grain, burl, or wild grain.
- **Bethlehem Carob: There pen blanks have been imported directly from ISREL and include a certificate of authenticity! This is a beautiful wood with a wide range of colors from a creamy white to a beautiful pink. These are a random selection so you're certain to get a nice mix. A very solid wood that turns and finishes nicely.
- **Ancient Kauri: Pale yellowish white to golden brown heartwood. Sapwood typically same color as heartwood. Due to the tree’s large size, Kauri is nearly always clear and knot-less, with minimal wastage. Some pieces of Kauri may exhibit a certain subtle shimmering effect that is commonly referred to as “whitebait,” so named for the iridescent appearance of schools of whitebait fish seen in the waters of New Zealand.
- **Ancient Bog Oak (limited supply): Bog Oak, much like Brown Oak, is not a specific species, but is rather a term that designates oak that has been buried in a peat bog, sometimes for several hundreds of years. The anaerobic conditions of the bog protect the wood from decay, while the acidic water contains tannins, which stain the wood a dark brown to almost black.
** Certificate of Authenticity can be included with any pens having this wood.
Can be added to accompany your pen. These can be helpful if you are looking to gift the pen and want the perfect pouch or box to gift it in! Just add the listed amount to your pledge and I will include it in your gift for your added convenience. Please note, only one case per pen.
- Felt Drawstring Pouch - Random color can be included free with every pen since stretch goal met. If you'd like to pick your color (black, blue, gray, purple and pink) then add $1 to your pledge level and I will include the pouch color of your choice.
- Wood Blank - Can be included free, if requested, since stretch goal met. This is a small piece of unturned wood matching the wood of your pen(s).
- Basic Gift Box - Can be included free with every pen since stretch goal met. Clear lid, black bottom and a grey felt interior.
- Premium Gift Box - Can be included with every pen since stretch goal met. Black felt outside, grey felt interior with a gold accent on the edge.
- Black Leatherette Gift Box -- ($15) Use the box for your pen storage or as the perfect professional gift box. Add $15 to any pledge level and I'll include this box.
- Rosewood Gift Box -- ($15) Perfectly made box for your 30 caliber or magnum pen. See the below picture for a visual, the ultimate box for your storage or gifting needs. Just add $15 to any pledge level and it will be included.
- Custom Engraving -- ($12) Add a custom engraving to your pen. Place your initials, full name, favorite phrase, whatever you like as its your choice. Engravings look best (readable) at 14 characters or less. Additional details and options are found on the update.
Risks and challenges
I see no major risks or challenges that would prevent me from completing this project! I can see maybe minor delays based on the below, but very unlikely.
Materials -- Currently, none of the materials I use are on back-order, however, If they are put on back-order then this will delay deliveries but will NOT stop them.
Number of orders -- If I receive an exorbitant number of backers the thought is time lines may be pushed. I've handled this by only allowing so many backers at each pledge level for varying months.
Me -- If I become sick or unable to make the pens this will delay production until I am well again. Lets just hope I stay in good health and don't break an arm!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
All the pens use standard common ink pen refills found at most all commercial stationary stores. Each pen I ship will come included with one ball point ink cartridge.
MINI - Several refills will fit this pen but I know the Cross #5828-4 and the Zebra #4C fit it for sure.
ORIGINAL - Both the Original and the Magnum pens accept Parker Style refills in both Ball point and Gel styles. The ones that are for twist and click style pens.
MAGNUM - Same as the Original listed above.
Yes! Great question! All three sizes can be switched to be left handed. All you need is a philips screw driver. I'll be posting an update on this within the next couple of days, including pictures and all.
Yes! Check out the giant PayPal button at the top of the page.
Or this link here Click here to pledge with PayPal (http://www.wilbertway.com/kickstarter/30-Caliber-Bolt-Action-Pens). A few notes about PayPal pledges:
1. Please pledge through Kickstarter if you can. We get better tracking information that way, and it's easier for us to communicate with you. If that's not an option, then by all means use the PayPal page!
2. PayPal pledges will count towards all our stretch goals! We'll track this money manually and keep you updated on the sum total.
3. We don't have the ability to make changes to your PayPal pledge level once you pay us, so please choose carefully before deciding on a pledge level.
I pledged for the Mini at $40 and added $20 for shipping since I'm outside the US, do I qualify for the $48+ stretch goals?
In short, no. Only pledges of $48+, not including international shipping qualify for the $48+ stretch goals. If you add $8 to your pledge you will qualify, or you can choose to receive more than one Mini by doubling your pledge (no need to double shipping) and then you would also qualify.
Shipping is not taken in account for your pledge level.
No way! Just double the pledge cost so you get two and pay the shipping only once. I'll ship them both in the same box so why would I charge you more.
So for instance if you want two Minis and live international you would simply pay $40+$40+20 for a total of $100
If however you want more than 4, you will need to add more shipping. Basically put, add $20 (shipping cost) for every four pens wanted.
Support this project
- (30 days)