splite, an elegant and personal design light
splite, an elegant and personal design light
splite presents a series of design lights that create a personal emotion and atmosphere at home, at work and in public places
splite presents a series of design lights that create a personal emotion and atmosphere at home, at work and in public places Read more
As seen on:
SPLITE connects world class design to your preferences.
A gadget, a light or a luxury fashion item? As the Splite is a hybrid object we have charted it in relation to other products. The diagram compares both price and durability.
Activate that special photograph of a loved one or that picture that means a lot to you and give them a special place in your personal space.
- Make the place where you live feel even more like home.
- Create a sense of place at work that is typically you.
- Make an atmosphere in your restaurant, shop or venue that connects exactly with the mood you have in mind for the place.
The idea and its story
The issue with many modern designs is that they are beautiful but at the same time they can often feel distant and cold. We are going to change that. Our lights connect top design with your individual emotions. This design realizes our passion to make great designs that are personal and atmospheric.
We originally designed this project as an exhibition piece, bringing together photographs into a nice object. It was so unique and successful that we decided to bring it further to give more people access to this personal light. Now, we have developed a range of lights, based on the original idea. The different lamps can be used as hanging lights, wall lights or as table lights.
Lights for life: your personal touch!
This lamp is not finished without your personal contribution. We will use individual photographs and pictures that you select and send us to complete it. An advantage is that if you get fed up, you will simply be able to replace these.
We will mount pictures you provide in the lights and will provide a spare set of pictures framed in fitting placeholders, so that from day 1 you can start having fun by regularly changing your lights with great ease.
The splite lights can be used in many different compositions. You can keep yourself entertained for years to come, by varying with your pictures and the way the lights are used.
3D-printing, the future of making things
The light is created through 3d printing, using laser sintering to shape a special form of nylon in an extremely economic way, that avoids waste and leftovers. The material is light, strong and the sintered surface has a nice tactile texture. The level of detail and control that are allowed by this production process is incredibly fine and exquisite.
The possibilities of the splite-series
Based on a single element, the lights can be put together in many sculptural and expressive combinations. Add this to the fact that your pictures are individually provided and you get a sheer endless variation of unique lights.
- Dimensions of the single splite element (all other options are based on this): 300mm x 98mm x 60mm (Europe) = 11,8'' x 3,9'' x 2,4'' (USA / UK)
- Weight of the single splite: approx 200 grs. (Europe) = 0,5 lb. (USA / UK)
- Base Material: 3d printed polyamide (nylon), by SLS system (Selective Laser Sintering), white
- Cover: vivak transparant sheet, color printed pictureon translucent sheet
- Light source: small fitting with regular bulb (where possible we strive to provide the correct fittings and bulbs per country), 25 - 40 W
- Suspension: ultra-thin nylon wire, leading to fixture attached to main power cable, fully adjustable for balancing and aligning the light
- Applied parts and fabrication have been individually approved and certified, certification of these in this design has not yet taken place
- Not suitable for outside use
As the design is completed and the first physical lamps have been made, we are comfortable about being able to ship soon. Our envisaged schedule for delivery looks like this (in case of 200%+ funding, shipment will take place in several batches and a limited amount of added delivery time may be required)
- June 1 - 15: admin connected to funding with Kickstarter, communication with backers to receive the individual picture files, final product refinements
- June 15-30: Place product orders with our manufacturers, design and order of packaging, contracting mail order companies
- July 1-15: final logistics, communication and assembly of first batches of splite
- July 15-30: Ship out splite to backers
Pledges and rewards
A brief note on the level of pledges and rewards. Are we pledging for high amounts? Yes we are. Does this make the splite very expensive? No, not in our opinion. Most quality design lamps available cost more. In addition, the splite series has the advantage of customization with pictures that will keep the lamps endlessly renewable. We have stretched ourselves to get good deals on materials and production. The 3D lasering sintering is expensive but has an upside of precision and high quality and the advantage of allowing a relatively low funding threshold.
We have covered the shipment fees in the UK in the rewards; added costs for shipment outside the UK have been specified. International backers will be responsible for applicable tariffs and custom fees.
- 30K+ : Optional embossed printing of individual pictures as part of the printed element (as an integrated base-relief). In case this stretch goal is met we will communicate in updates about the possibilities this gives.
- 100K+: Leasing our own laser-printer; if this amazing goal is to be reached, all funders will get a bonus printed splite element, of a size yet to be determined.
Who are we?
jvantspijker architecture urbanism research is an architectural design company located in the center of Rotterdam. It is our mission to produce designs with a strong personality. We believe in enhancing sense of place and character of spaces, at every possible scale. We work on buildings, masterplans, interiors and design objects; always with the idea that everyday objects and situations deserve attention and have the potential to be special.
The splite has come into being with the help and support of many. The exposition that triggered the design was initiated by Bernard Leupen. In the office Paul van den Bergh has been the invaluable driving force and 3D wizard hooking up constantly with the 3D printing people. The studio photography was done by Rene de Wit in the Dondigi studio. Interim reviews of the story and the video were helpful (as well as painful) thanks to Teana, Essan and Eulan. Also thanks to http://kickingitforward.org/ for additional promotion.
Risks and challenges
Our company has experience with performing and delivering large scale design projects. Therefore we always produce a Quality Assurance protocol at the start of projects to identify risks and challenges and to outline mitigation measurements upfront. This will also be done when the splite project meets its funding goal.
As a few copies of the lamps have already been made using the same production process as production copies will require, we are confident about our capacity to deliver as planned.
Through a design process of trial and error we have identified and solved many small practical issues like suspension, balancing, integration of the light source etc. A challenge is that we intend to ship the lights with the right electricity fixtures, voltage and bulbs that are used per country. We have to wait to see which countries we need to ship to, before ordering the right electricity gear per country.
Customized manufacturing logistics
As we offer to incorporate individual photographs and pictures for every backer, we will have to set up a clear an transparent logistics system in which the pictures we receive are checked, printed, mounted and sent to the right backer. This is a logistical challenge that we will address in our QA policy. In any case our protocols will include a final independent control round in which the match between recipient and received pictures is double-checked.
We intend to ship and deliver the lights on a very short notice. We believe this is possible because we have produced our prototypes using the same method that will be used in final production. The main risk in the planning occurs in the case (that we hope for) that the backing exceeds the funding threshold dramatically. In that case we will be forced to ship in several batches which may cause a production delay that we will limit to weeks rather than months.
- (30 days)