About this project
A dark, serialized RPG. Limited Edition Hardcover or Softcover.
It can be played with almost any modern RPG system.
"I've never seen anything like this on an RPG level and I think it's f*cking rad." Full Metal RPG / Podcast
Beneath ancient ruins lies the UnDungeon, a "paradise" of unspeakable horrors. The Inverted Cupid, a demon of great power, is luring the local townspeople of CragLeee into the UnDungeon to create a master race of “…one race, one sex, one tongue". Only a band of brave adventurers can stop it.
Follow Hannah, a fighter and resident of CragLee, as she guides you deeper into the UnDungeon to find her lost brother. Treasure can be found if you are willing to seduce your way through mirrorDoors or witness the sexual atrocities inside The Invert.
- HARDCOVER $27 (only 200 copies printed) / SOFTCOVER $15
- 126+ pages. Large 8.5x8.5" format. 37+ maps. ALL maps can be drawn within 24"x30" dry erase mats or constructed with walls and/or tiles.
- Multiple d6 charts for loot and one d100 chart with graphic content.
- 20 variables inside The Invert--roll and flip to the back of the book to see what level you have entered.
- Easy to read layout with prompts for key plot points.
- GOOD LOOT? YES! The UnDungeon has weapons and strange dark spells books as well as treasure. You will be very happy with what you find, if you explore.
How is Beneath different from other RPG adventures?
Beneath has a unique tension. Players can voluntarily enter The Invert, a parallel world of pleasure created for one purpose: unite all races and classes into one perfect race that can be controlled. The hitch is, players have not been invited into The Invert. Instead, players invade.
Inside, they are healed a certain amount of hit points per successful attack, but they face heinous beasts. Additionally, players can only bring special items into The Invert—anything other than “stained salt” magic items cannot pass through the portal. Players could enter naked and most likely die.
Adding to the tension is the fact that a friend has been pulled into The Invert. And that friend needs stained salt items to survive. The party must decide if giving their friend these magic items is worth it, as the party needs these items just as badly.
Beneath also has a stress management system correlating to the environment players are in.
Playtime is estimated at 20-30 hours.
* Any pledge that does not specify Hardcover is a softcover pledge unless $12 is added. Kickstarter does allow us to edit pledges at all after one person pledges to that pledge. Otherwise we'd clarify in the actual pledge *
What makes this series for adults only?
Players will be encouraged to "seduce" doors open. What this means exactly is up to the GM so there is room for improvisation, both coy or candid. Players can either be reserved or go all in.
Players will encounter randomized scenes within the UnDungeon. A d100 chart dictates what randomized scene players witness. Some are benign. Some are graphic. All of them drive the narrative and tension of the plot. Furthermore, there is one scene with a more graphic d20 chart that made me decide to market this series to adults only.
Now the book comes with all 20 levels of The Invert and if we hit our stretch goals this madness happens:
- $3,000 = 2 illustrations by Scott Buon
- $4,000 = 2 more illustrations by Scott Buon
- $5,000 = 2 more illustrations by Scott Buon
- $6,000 = 2 more illustrations by Scott Buon
- $7,000 = 2 more illustrations by Scott Buon
- $8,000 = 2 more illustrations by Scott Buon
This is an Incense Golem, one of the first larger enemies players encounter in the UnDungeon.
37+ maps includes:
There will be a book 2
Beneath, the series, will continue. Though there is some resolution at the end of the first book, there is a lot left to discover.
Larger pledges get HydroStone walls to build the dungeons with. No glue. All solid HydroStone and they work with our previously offered tiles. These walls should be enough to create each map, one by one.
We have a few massive sets of tiles from our previous Kickstarter. That's 22 flat tiles, 20 wall tiles, 8 corner tiles, and 4 hallway tiles. All solid HydroStone. Unpainted. US shipping only.
Add a postcard/stress chart for $1 each. This postcard has slot for 8 players to keep track of their stress level. The cover image is on the front of the postcard.
Add a shirt for $12
Add a hardcover copy for $27
Add a softcover copy for $15
Yes! I will provide charts and maps as PDFs for free once the Kickstarter is over. This will help GMs/DMs with organizing as the players gets stressed and look into the mirrors (because there's a big, screwed up chart for the mirrors).
How long will the Beneath series be?
At least 3 books, hopefully more depending on the popularity of the series.
Specifications for the books could change slightly, but we are working to make the best quality books available.
Special thanks to Joey Barranco and Brian Fox for consulting on this project.
Risks and challenges
We've got a few people looking at the book for red flags while we play test it some more. The book is written and I have 15 years experience with publishing and writing. Book needs to be proofed and we're good to print.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)