About this project
The Lotus and the Artichoke cookbook features over 100 vegan recipes inspired by my travels and culinary adventures around the world. The cookbook focuses on the fusion of culinary styles from East and West and celebrates global traditions as well as new kitchen creativity beyond all borders.
UPDATE: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th funding goals SUCCESSFUL!
SCROLL DOWN TO READ ABOUT NEW PLANS & REWARDS!
Discover delicious Indo-Chinese dishes (mostly unknown outside India; beloved among Indians and backpackers), incredible Indian feasts, Asian treats and wonders, Italian, French, German and other exciting European vegan variations and converted classics. You'll find super-tasty African medleys from the North, West and East, All-American go-to greats and family favorites, seductive sweets from around the world, plus a variety of super-charged salads and all-raw snacks.
How The Lotus and the Artichoke came to be:
For over 20 years, I've been living, traveling, and cooking vegan and vegetarian, learning and creating recipes wherever I go: Everywhere I live, everywhere I visit. These travels have brought me to over 35 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, through the Pacific Islands, and across North America.
After returning to my home base of Berlin last summer, following an amazing year teaching art at an international school in India, I began intensively writing and designing this cookbook, The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures.
Friends, family, and food lovers of all kinds – herbivores and omnivores alike – ask me for my recipes. I love cooking for others and sharing my culinary insights and experiences gathered from homes, kitchens, cafés, restaurants, bustling markets, and busy street food carts around the world.
What The Lotus and the Artichoke cookbook is:
- 200+ pages of amazing recipes, photographs, tips and secrets
- 100+ vegan recipes inspired by world travel and over 20 years of dedicated kitchen experiences and adventures
- 50+ full color photos of key recipes
- Cool, custom artwork: Hand-carved blockprints & miniature paintings
- Easy to follow layouts, description, and details on how to prepare delicious and stunningly beautiful meals
- Perfect for your kitchen and complementary to any cookbook collection
- Great as a gift to friends, family, colleagues, travel pals, partners
Just some of the recipes:
- Veg Manchurian (Indo-Chinese)
- Chili Paneer-Tofu (Indo-Chinese)
- Eggplant Basil Coconut Curry (Thailand)
- Moroccan Stuffed Squash (Morocco)
- Masala Dosa and Sambar (South India)
- Veg Biryani (South India)
- Malai Kofta Curry (North India)
- Gobi Tikka - Cauliflower (North India)
- Persian Eggplant (Iran/Germany)
- Orange Tempeh Teriyaki (Hawaii/Japan)
- Mushroom-Tofu Stroganoff (Germany/Russia)
- Knödel & Rotkohl (Germany)
- Broccoli Quiche (France/USA)
- Spaghetti and Notmeatballs (Italy/USA)
- Smokey Zucchini Lasagna (Italy/USA)
- Cashew Mushroom Risotto (Italy/Germany)
- Seared Pears & Walnuts on Arugula (French/Canadian)
- Ginger Lemon Chickpea Sprouts (India/USA)
- Black Bean Burgers (USA)
- 3-Bean Cajun Chili (USA)
- African-Asian Red Curry (Kenya/Thailand)
- Mango and Pear Crumble (Germany/USA)
- Paradise Pineapple Pancakes (Thailand)
- and over 75 more recipe adventures!
This cookbook is for you:
However you choose to define your diet and lifestyle, there's something special for everyone who is turned on by delicious, gorgeous, compassionate, creative international cooking and nutrition.
Perhaps you are already an experienced expert with vegan and plant-based food, maybe you're an aspiring vegan or mostly-vegetarian, a veg-loving omni, or getting into Meatless Mondays with your partner, family, or friends.
Maybe you aren't concerned with labels – you just love amazing food and you dream of distant lands. The Lotus and the Artichoke isn't set on perfectionism, purity, or politics. It's about possibilities: This is a tribute to world flavor, an inspiration to spice up your life, and an open-minded invitation to join me on culinary adventures through world cuisines from around the world.
What people are saying:
"The Lotus and the Artichoke is a great source for delicious vegan dishes from all over the globe. We love how the detailed recipes are presented along with a personal story from Justin, plus mouth-watering food photography. If you are looking for creative vegan recipes, this is the place!"
– Dani & Jess (Germany/USA), Globetrotter Girls
"Judging by the photos and awesome recipes I've seen, this is going to be a must-have in your kitchen collection. I'm especially excited because there's such a focus on world cuisines. I definitely support this project and you should too!"
– Paul Jarvis (Canada), author of Eat Awesome
"This is a book that will open your mind to new tastes, new lands,
and new adventures. I'm really looking forward to making these recipes
with my family and teaching my young children about how our simple food
choices can have such a profound impact on our health, the lives of
animals, and our planet."
– Kristen Palana (Italy), Aura's House & Veggie Propaganda
"I've had the chance to get to know Justin over the past few months in Berlin. If you spend just a short while talking with him, you're guaranteed to come away feeling better about yourself... and the universe. His passion for life and interest in travel and food is palpable. And trust me: his cooking is delicious... and I'm not even vegan!"
– Adam Groffman (USA), Travels of Adam
"I met Justin in Nepal way back in 2001. We quickly discovered a shared obsession with vegetarian world cuisine and began swapping travel stories of exotic dishes we'd had in foreign countries. As a vegetarian chef myself, I really enjoy when fellow veggies "get" international cuisine. We've spent years bouncing ideas off one another and evolving recipes. I'm excited that Justin's committed his ideas to paper – I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this cookbook!"
– Vincent Campellone (Ireland), Inside Job Catering
"I'm proudly supporting Justin's The Lotus and the Artichoke because he's a fellow traveler following his dream and sharing his passion with the world. The food pics leave me drooling!"
– Niall Doherty (Ireland), Disrupting the Rabblement
"Justin ist durch die halbe Welt gereist. Seine Rezepte sind
einfach die Wucht! Er sucht sich aus allen Spezialitäten nur das Beste
raus und mixt es zu etwas ganz eigenem, besonderem zusammen. Man wird immer überrascht und nie enttäuscht!"
– Marko Streitenberger (Germany), CLIMA
KICKSTARTER + You + Me:
This Kickstarter campaign presents an opportunity for you to be involved and participate in this dream to bring world recipes and nostalgic veggie classics together in an artistic and imaginative book. I need your support to back the first printing of the books and streamline the production of the e-book releases
later this year. So far, the hundreds of hours of planning, cooking,
testing, photographing, writing, blogging, and promotion have been a
labor of love and passion.
Big or small, modest or abundant, all of the support, suggestions and sharing you offer is greatly appreciated and will help us see this book of worldly, delicious recipes get into your kitchen and take you away to exciting places, impress your family, friends, and dinner guests.
What you get:
The EXCITING REWARDS include everything from personal postcards sent to you from the next adventure, to signed copies of the first edition of the printed cookbook, exclusive limited edition artwork, stylish and fun T-shirts and cloth tote bags, and the ultra-cool do-you-dare rewards: Participate in the design of an upcoming travel adventure in Europe – or almost anywhere in the world – experience, photograph, and ultimately create custom recipes with me which will be featured on the website, in the published cookbook, and in the e-books.
Rewards are planned to ship in early December 2012 – in time for holiday gift planning!
Why I need your support:
- Help fund the first printing of the book in English and in German - SUCCESSFUL!
- Enable me to invest in fun rewards
- Provide materials for printmaking and painting used for the illustration and design of the cookbook and website
- Give fair compensation for translation, editing, PR helpers
- Share the inspiration, experience, and adventure with everyone!
- Please see updates for new, improved project plans!
and STILL GROWING!
In only 10 days, The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Cookbook passed the initial funding goal of $6500. Now we're over 220%... and still going!
SUCCESS! $8,000 – GET STICKY!
- All rewards at $25 and above will include a pack of 8 awesome, artsy The Lotus and the Artichoke stickers.
- Starting Now: Any backer who increases their pledge $3 or more also gets a sticker pack!
SUCCESS! $10,000 – ÜBER-VEG!
- I am adding 5 new, vegan German recipes to the cookbook, with stories about my decade in Germany, describing the challenges and delights of the traditional cuisine and the exploding vegan / vegetarian scene in Deutschland.
- This chapter will be included in the first edition of the cookbook and ebook scheduled to ship in December 2012.
- A bigger, better cookbook with even more delicious recipes, mouth-watering photos, fun stories, and cool art.
- All rewards to German addresses get FREE shipping.
- Already added shipping? I'll give you some great extras so you're über-happy!
SUCCESS! $12,000 – BANGKOK & BEYOND!
- I am adding 5 new, vegan Southeast Asian recipes to the cookbook. You'll also get more stories from my travels and culinary adventures in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia.
- These recipes will be included in the first edition of the cookbook and ebook scheduled to ship in December 2012.
- The cookbook is now even better, even tastier, and even bigger!
SUCCESS! $14,000 – DAS KOCHBUCH!
- We can fund the first printing of the cookbook and publication of the ebook in German. German editions will be available and shipped in March 2013.
- All backers who choose a reward including an English copy of the cookbook (or ebook!) can also receive the German ebook FREE.
- Any backer who selects a reward including a printed English cookbook can also get a printed copy of the German cookbook, if they increase their pledge by $15 or more.
- New reward options for existing backers who want German cookbooks!
How you can help:
- Show your support with a pledge!
- Pick a great reward and sponsor generously!
- Share this Kickstarter project with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter. Be proud of your support!
- Visit www.lotusartichoke.com - Try dozens of recipes absolutely free and offer comments, feedback and other love
- Subscribe to the website newsletter for free recipes straight to your inbox
- Like my Facebook page – follow the regular updates, enjoy and comment on the photos and features
- Follow me on twitter: @lotusartichoke RT my tweets, spread good words
- Contact me for more information about interviews, guest blog posts, feature articles, and other publicity + promotion!
To make the cookbook as practical and useable as possible to people from all over the world, I do my best to use a combination of both metric and US measurements for the recipes. This goes for volume, weight, and lengths – which are usually provided in cups, table/teaspoons, liters/milliliters, grams and ounces, inches and centimeters/millimeters. Temperatures are in degrees Fahrenheit and Centigrade, and gas level.
Examples: "1/2 cup / 120ml water", "1/2 cup / 90g cashews", "7oz / 200g tofu", "1in / 2cm ginger", "Bake at 425 F / 220 C / level 7"
Here is an example recipe from the website:
Most of the recipes use ingredients found at any medium-sized grocery store or supermarket. Other spices and items can be found at Asian shops and specialty "ethnic" food stores. The cookbook will include a short section on suggested spices, specialty ingredients, and where to find them.
Asides from tofu and soy milk (used in several of the recipes), the recipes rarely require any specialty, hard-to-find vegan or vegetarian ingredients. Having a local health food or organic store is helpful, but should not be absolutely necessary.
The cookbook emphasizes meal preparation with whole, fresh, natural items and generally avoids manufactured, processed ingredients – packaged fake meats and cheeses, etc.
Almost all recipes include suggested "variations" and notes on optional or "extra" ingredients – which can be substituted or omitted.
Most of the recipes in this cookbook are for intermediate cooks and people looking to expand their understanding and experience with world cuisines and creative vegan kitchen arts. This is a fancy way of saying if you're an absolute beginner, you may find the book challenging-- but still stimulating and inspiring!
Advanced cooks will find many new ideas, suggestions, and directions for their cooking. If you're a classically trained, culinary master chef, you may find my recipes and approaches unorthodox, unusual and odd – that's okay: I've learned from everyday folks and family, neighbors, restaurant lurking, street food vendor spying, and lots of experimentation. I'm happy to share my uncoventional wisdom with you, too!
Basically, if you understand the fundamentals of cooking, can work a stove, hold a pot, know how to use measuring cups and can count to ten, you will be fine with most of the recipes. If you can work slightly more fancy kitchen tools like a food processor or immersion blender, it should be smooth sailing.
I encourage everyone to enjoy, experiment, and focus on learning and fun, not fear of failure.
Sure! It's easy. Just click on the bright blue "Manage Your Pledge" button at the top right of this project page. You can upgrade your pledge amount and reward and confirm everything in less than 60 seconds. (I know: I do it all the time with Kickstarter projects I'm backing.)
Absolutely! I'd be thrilled if you did! Any rewards not marked "sold-out" are still available.
The initial goal of $6500 is the minimum to finance the first printing of the cookbook and fulfill rewards. All backing, including "over-funding", will be invested into the project's further goals! How?
- Expanding and improving the first printing of the cookbook: I can include even more full-color photo pages, possibly add a special chapter of new recipes, and we can print more books!
- Funding the translation, design, and publication of the cookbook & ebook in German.
- Enabling a mini-book tour in Germany (and beyond!) to promote the cookbook.
Thanks for your continued support!
Yes! I'll be setting up another method for pre-orders soon. Please send me a short email so I have your email address and know what you'd like. I'll be in touch with you and we'll get the goods to you!
Please also join (Like) the Facebook page and subscribe to the blog newsletter to stay in touch and get updates on the cookbook progress:
Support this project
- (30 days)