About this project
SUCCESS!! Now fully funded... and STILL GROWING!
2nd FUNDING GOAL: GET STICKY! ($9500) SUCCESS!!
- Help me design and print a NEW The Lotus and the Artichoke sticker.
- All rewards including sticker packs will include a sticker from the new design making a total of 5 unique stickers!
3rd FUNDING GOAL: NEW CARDS! ($10,000) SUCCESS!!
- Help me design and print NEW full-color postcards to include with all printed cookbook rewards and future cookbook orders.
- I also plan to distribute the cards at Berlin's upcoming international travel blogger conference, Travel Massive.
- The cards will help me promote The Lotus and the Artichoke at yoga studios, health food stores, bookstores, kitchen shops, restaurants, cafés, and other places where veggie-friendly peeps can find them.
4th FUNDING GOAL: NEW T-SHIRTS! ($11,500)
- I will design a new The Lotus and the Artichoke T-shirt.
- Artwork will be based on the Lotus and Artichoke Hands miniature painting.
- All backers getting rewards including a T-shirt will get their choice of T-shirt design: original Globe and Banners design on heather green, or the new shirt design!
- Check out the new 2x T-SHIRT REWARD! (ONLY $65!)
REMEMBER: The ENGLISH and GERMAN editions of the cookbook are available as rewards from this Kickstarter project!
The Lotus and the Artichoke cookbook:
- 216 pages of tantalizing recipes, photographs, tips and tricks
- 100+ vegan recipes inspired by world travel and over 20 years of dedicated kitchen experiences
- 90+ full-color, full-page, delicious food photos
- Stories & photos from my travels to nearly 40 countries
- Cool, custom artwork: Hand-carved blockprints & miniature paintings
- Easy to follow layouts, description, and details on how to prepare delicious and stunningly beautiful meals
- Perfect for your kitchen and complementary to any cookbook collection
- Great as a gift to friends, family, colleagues, travel pals, partners
Über das Kochbuch:
- 216 Seiten: tolle Rezepte, Fotos, Texte und Tipps
- 100+ vegane Rezepte inspiriert von meinen Weltreisen und über 20 Jahren Erfahrung in der Küche
- 90+ ganzseitigen, appetitmachenden Farbfotos
- Geschichten & Fotos meiner Reisen in fast 40 Ländern
- Kunst: Selbsterstellte Druckgrafik, Zeichnungen & Malerei
- Einfache Beschreibungen: Wie man ausgefallene, schöne Gerichte vorbereitet und serviert
- Perfekt für jede Küche: Passt zu deiner Kochbuchsammlung
- Ein tolles Geschenk für Freunde, Familie, Kollegen, Reisebegleiter und Partner
In 2012 my first Kickstarter project The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Cookbook was successful with the help of over 360 amazing backers from around the world. In December, the first edition was printed: 1000 copies in full color, featuring over 100 recipes and more than 90 full-page, mouth-watering photographs. The Lotus and the Artichoke quickly became an international sensation!
Now we're almost ready to print the German edition...
...and re-print the English edition!
Because of the costs involved in printing a book of this quality and complexity, I am asking for your help. Hundreds of enthusiastic backers made my first book possible – even with the doubling of project expenses to upgrade the cookbook format and production, and to ship all rewards international priority airmail.
BOTH cookbooks are available as rewards from this Kickstarter Project!
Why publish a German edition?
- In 2001, I made Berlin my home. I want to give back something meaningful to the community, city, and country where I live and work.
- After dedicating years to learning German, what better way to show my appreciation than publishing a book in the language?
- Interest in vegan cookbooks and the vegetarian culinary scene in Germany have grown impressively in the last ten years.
- To improve awareness of vegan cooking and international cuisine to the worldwide German-speaking public: in Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and other countries.
Just some of the recipes:
- Veg Manchurian (Indo-Chinese)
- Chili Paneer-Tofu (Indo-Chinese)
- Eggplant Basil Coconut Curry (Thailand)
- Moroccan Stuffed Squash (Morocco)
- Masala Dosa and Sambar (South India)
- Veg Biryani (South India)
- Malai Kofta Curry (North India)
- Gobi Tikka - Cauliflower (North India)
- Persian Eggplant (Iran/Germany)
- Orange Tempeh Teriyaki (Hawaii/Japan)
- Mushroom-Tofu Stroganoff (Germany/Russia)
- Knödel & Rotkohl (Germany)
- Spätzle (Austria)
- Broccoli Quiche (France/USA)
- Spaghetti and Notmeatballs (Italy/USA)
- Smokey Zucchini Lasagna (Italy/USA)
- Cashew Mushroom Risotto (Italy/Germany)
- Seared Pears & Walnuts on Arugula (French/Canadian)
- Ginger Lemon Chickpea Sprouts (India/USA)
- Black Bean Burgers (USA)
- 3-Bean Cajun Chili (USA)
- African-Asian Red Curry (Kenya/Thailand)
- Mango and Pear Crumble (Germany/USA)
- Paradise Pineapple Pancakes (Thailand)
- and over 75 more recipe adventures!
Einige Rezepte aus dem Kochbuch:
- Veg Manchurian (Indo-Chinesisch)
- Chili-Paneer-Tofu (Indo-Chinesisch)
- Aubergine-Basilikum-Kokos-Curry (Thailand)
- Marokkanisch gefüllter Kürbis (Marokko)
- Masala Dosa und Sambar (Südindien)
- Veg Biryani (Südindien)
- Malai Kofta Curry (Nordindien)
- Gobi Tikka - Blumenkohl (Nordindien)
- Persische Aubergine (Iran/Deutschland)
- Orange-Tempeh-Teriyaki (Hawaii/Japan)
- Champignon-Tofu-Stroganoff (Deutschland/Rußland)
- Knödel und Rotkohl (Deutschland)
- Vegane Käsespätzle (Östereich)
- Zwiebelkuchen (Deutschland)
- Brokkoli-Quiche (Frankreich/USA)
- Spaghetti und Gemüsebällchen (Italien/USA)
- Zucchini-Lasagne (Italien/USA)
- Cashew-Pilz-Risotto (Italien/Deutschland)
- Birne und Walnüsse auf Rucola (Franko-kanadisch)
- Ingwer-Zitrone-Kichererbsensprossen (Indien/USA)
- Black-Bean-Burger (USA)
- Cajun 3-Bohnen-Chili (USA)
- Afrikanisch-asiatisches Rotes Curry (Kenia/Thailand)
- Mango-Birnen-Streusel (Deutschland/USA)
- Paradies-Ananas-Pfannkuchen (Thailand)
- und 75 weitere kulinarische Abenteuer!
Who is this cookbook for?
However you choose to define your diet and lifestyle, there's something special for everyone who is turned on by delicious, gorgeous, compassionate, creative international cooking.
The Lotus and the Artichoke isn't set on perfectionism, purity, or politics. It's about possibilities: This is a tribute to world flavor, an inspiration to spice up your life, and an open-minded invitation to join me on culinary adventures through world cuisines from around the world.
Why I need your support:
- Help fund the first printing of the German cookbook
- Support the second printing of the English cookbook
- Provide backing for international shipping expenses
- Enable me to fairly compensate my professional translator, Julia
- Share the inspiration, experience, and adventure with everyone!
How you can help:
- Show your support with a pledge!
- Pick a great reward and sponsor generously!
- Share this Kickstarter project with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter. Be proud of your support!
- Visit www.lotusartichoke.com - Try dozens of recipes absolutely free and offer comments, feedback and other love
- Subscribe to the website newsletter for free recipes straight to your inbox
- Like my Facebook page – follow the regular updates, enjoy and comment on the photos and features
- Follow me on twitter: @lotusartichoke RT my tweets, spread good words
- Contact me for more information about interviews, guest blog posts, feature articles, and other publicity & promotion!
Warum ich deine Hilfe brauche:
- Hilf mir dabei den Druck der deutschen Ausgabe möglich zu machen
- Unterstütze den Nachdruck der englischen Ausgabe
- Spende für die internationalen Versandkosten
- Trag dazu bei dass ich meine Übersetzerin Julia fair bezahlen kann
- Sei dabei bei diesem spannenden Abenteuer!
Wie du helfen kannst:
- Unterstütze mich mit einer Spende
- Sichere dir einen der genialen Rewards
- Teile dieses Kickstarter-Projekt mit Freunden & Followern auf Facebook & Twitter.
- Kommentiere meine Rezepte auf www.lotusartichoke.com
- Abonniere den Website-Newsletter mit Gratis-Rezepten
- Besuche meine Facebook-Seite
- Folge mir auf Twitter: @lotusartichoke RT meine Tweets, etc.
"Ich war aus 1000 Gründen extrem gespannt auf The Lotus and the Artichoke! Im Nachhinein kann ich sagen: zu Recht! Zu entdecken gibt es 100 bebilderte Rezepte, sortiert nach Kontinent, und darüber hinaus erzählt Justin in jedem der Kapitel auch noch etwas über seine Reisen und was er mit den jeweiligen Rezepten verbindet. Eine fantastische Idee, die bei mir nicht nur den Hunger, sondern mindestens ebenso doll das Fernweh weckt."
– Sarah Kaufman (Germany) author of Vegan Guerilla
"Weil es Spaß macht im Buch zu blättern und durch die vielen verschiedenen Rezepte in andere Länder zu reisen. Weil die Gerichte zwar teilweise exotisch, die Zutaten aber auch ohne Weltreise erhältlich sind. Weil die Speisen mit frischem Gemüse, Kräutern und Gewürzen zubereitet werden... Weil man auf jeder Seite die Leidenschaft und Freude spürt, die Justin beim Reisen und Schreiben des Buches hatte."
– Franziska Schmid (Germany) Veggie Love
"Wer ebenso gerne wie ich Gerichte aus anderen Ländern der Welt zaubert... der sollte sich dieses Buch unbedingt kaufen. Seine Gerichte sehen wirklich superlecker aus, die Rezepte lesen sich auch total gut."
– Linda Sabin (Germany) 'V'eltenbummler & Deutschland is(s)t Vegan
"Justin has an unmatched knack for veganizing both popular and obscure dishes from around the world. In The Lotus and the Artichoke, he demonstrates his flair for international cuisine with over 100 easy and flavorful recipes spanning the globe. All the mouth-watering food photos and riveting travel stories he includes are the icing on the cake."
– Chef Amber Shea (USA), Practically Raw & Practically Raw Desserts
"Take a trip across the globe without even leaving your kitchen with
Justin's gorgeous new vegan cookbook, The Lotus and the Artichoke! It contains page after page of mouth-watering pictures and recipes from countries all over Asia, Europe, Africa, and the
– Bianca Phillips (USA), Cookin' Crunk - Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
"The Lotus and the Artichoke
is a must have for great vegan recipes from all different cultures.
Whether you're living the life in paradise or trapped in the middle of
the zombie apocalypse, these recipes will make you feel as if you
traveled to the unique places that inspired them."
– Jon & Chris (USA), The Vegan Zombie
"The Lotus and the Artichoke is a great source for delicious vegan
dishes from all over the globe. We love how the detailed recipes are
presented along with a personal story from Justin, plus mouth-watering
food photography. If you are looking for creative vegan recipes, this is
– Dani & Jess (Germany/USA), Globetrotter Girls
by the photos and awesome recipes, this is a
must-have in your kitchen collection. I'm especially excited because
there's such a focus on world cuisines. I definitely support this
project and you should too!"
– Paul Jarvis (Canada), Eat Awesome
"The Lotus and the Artichoke is bursting at the seams with innovative, healthy, and seriously flavorful inspiration. What a diverse and exotic arsenal of recipes from around the world... I want to try absolutely every recipe!"– Frances Prema Harjeet (USA), Lila Blog
"This is a book that will open your mind to new tastes, new lands,
and new adventures. I'm really looking forward to making these recipes
with my family and teaching my young children about how our simple food
choices can have such a profound impact on our health, the lives of
animals, and our planet."
– Kristen Palana (Italy), Aura's House & Veggie Propaganda
had the chance to get to know Justin over the past few months in
Berlin. If you spend just a short while talking with him, you're
guaranteed to come away feeling better about yourself... and the
universe. His passion for life and interest in travel and food is
palpable. And trust me: his cooking is delicious... and I'm not even
– Adam Groffman (USA), Travels of Adam
"I'm proudly supporting Justin's The Lotus and the Artichoke because he's a fellow traveler following his dream and sharing his passion with the world. The food pics leave me drooling!"
– Niall Doherty (Ireland), Disrupting the Rabblement
"Justin ist durch die halbe Welt gereist. Seine Rezepte sind
einfach die Wucht! Er sucht sich aus allen Spezialitäten nur das Beste
raus und mixt es zu etwas ganz eigenem, besonderem zusammen. Man wird immer überrascht und nie enttäuscht!"
– Marko Streitenberger (Germany), CLIMA
Love from Facebook fans & followers:
"Ein so tolles Kochbuch hatte ich noch nie! Habe schon vier Rezepte ausprobiert... alles ist einfach großartig geworden!"
– Carolin (Germany)
"Meine zwei Bücher sind gut angekommen, vielen Dank. Das Buch sieht wunderbar aus... Fotos und Gestaltung sind sehr beeindruckend!"
– Max (Switzerland)
just received your cookbook! It is a delicious masterpiece. So many
dishes I've never tried as well. I can't wait to get cookin'!"
– Jennifer (Canada)
"I just got my copy of the book! It truly is a work of art. Thank you so much!"
– Carlos (Ecuador)
vegan cookbook EVER! I just ordered another to give to a friend. Thank you so much for your wonderful contribution to cruelty-free
– Elizabeth (USA)
love your book! I also gave it to a family friend who has been vegan for about 10 years. He said it was the
best vegan book he has ever seen!"
– Monika (South Africa)
color photographs are beautiful and make me want to try the recipes out
even more! I have many vegan cookbooks, but this one is truly unique."
– Alexis (USA)
my book last week and have been drooling over it ever since! I love
all of the photos and stories. I'm planning
dinner parties over the next couple of months so that I can share all
this wondrous goodness with my friends."
– Sara (USA)
Risks and challenges
My first Kickstarter project brought me in-depth insight and understanding of what it takes – and what can go funky – when self-publishing, promoting, and distributing a cookbook.
Hidden costs lurk behind every corner. Tasks often demand more time than expected. The best shirts might cost three times what you hoped. A book weight difference of 70 grams can mean $2000 more in postal expenses. Preparing, packing, and posting 400 packages in 10 days is insane, but possible. Production partners may dramatically raise prices, make faulty estimates, and send your personal representative on holiday when you need them most. I know about all of these things, very well.
Expenses quickly grow and add up. A commitment to creating excellent rewards and fulfilling them on time requires significant financial, emotional, and time investments. My previous experiences have proven I can endure major challenges and exceed expectations.
I have an established network of recipe testers, translation helpers, proofreaders, and designers to consult with to ensure success and satisfaction.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
To make the cookbook as practical and useable as possible to people from all over the world, I do my best to use a combination of both metric and US measurements for the recipes. This goes for volume, weight, and lengths – which are usually provided in cups, table/teaspoons, liters/milliliters, grams and ounces, inches and centimeters/millimeters. Temperatures are in degrees Fahrenheit and Centigrade, and gas level.
Examples: "1/2 cup / 120ml water", "1/2 cup / 90g cashews", "7oz / 200g tofu", "1in / 2cm ginger", "Bake at 425 F / 220 C / level 7"
Die deutsche Ausgabe des Kochbuchs verwendet sowohl das metrische System (g - Gramm, ml - Milliliter usw.) als auch das amerikanische System (Tassen/Cups) für diejenigen, die diese Abmessung bevorzugen. Für kleinere Mengen, sind EL (Esslöffel) und TL (Teelöffel) angegeben. Backtemperaturen sind mit Grad Celsius und Gassttufe angegeben.
zB. "1/4 Tasse / 60ml Wasser", "1/3 Tasse / 40g Cashewkerne", "1/2 TL Kurkurma", "2 mittelgroße / 160g Tomaten", "Ofen auf 190 C / Stufe 5 vorheizen"
Most of the recipes use ingredients found at any medium-sized grocery store or supermarket. Other spices and items can be found at Asian shops and specialty "ethnic" food stores. The cookbook will include a short section on suggested spices, specialty ingredients, and where to find them.
Asides from tofu and soy milk (used in several of the recipes), the recipes rarely require any specialty, hard-to-find vegan or vegetarian ingredients. Having a local health food or organic store is helpful, but should not be absolutely necessary.
The cookbook emphasizes meal preparation with whole, fresh, natural items and generally avoids manufactured, processed ingredients – packaged fake meats and cheeses, etc.
Almost all recipes include suggested "variations" and notes on optional or "extra" ingredients – which can be substituted or omitted.
Most of the recipes in this cookbook are for intermediate cooks and people looking to expand their understanding and experience with world cuisines and creative vegan kitchen arts. This is a fancy way of saying if you're an absolute beginner, you may find the book challenging-- but still stimulating and inspiring!
Advanced cooks will find many new ideas, suggestions, and directions for their cooking. If you're a classically trained, culinary master chef, you may find my recipes and approaches unorthodox, unusual and odd – that's okay: I've learned from everyday folks and family, neighbors, restaurant lurking, street food vendor spying, and lots of experimentation. I'm happy to share my uncoventional wisdom with you, too!
Basically, if you understand the fundamentals of cooking, can work a stove, hold a pot, know how to use measuring cups and can count to ten, you will be fine with most of the recipes. If you can work slightly more fancy kitchen tools like a food processor or immersion blender, it should be smooth sailing.
I encourage everyone to enjoy, experiment, and focus on learning and fun, not fear of failure.
Sure! It's easy. Just click on the bright blue "Manage Your Pledge" button at the top right of this project page. You can upgrade your pledge amount and reward and confirm everything in less than 60 seconds. (I know: I do it all the time with Kickstarter projects I'm backing.)
I want to support you and get a cookbook, but I don't have a credit card / I don't use Amazon. Can I use PayPal or a bank transfer?
Yes! You can order the English book or pre-order the German cookbook with PayPal or a bank transfer (Überweisung), separate from Kickstarter and this campaign, but it will still help my project! Please send me a message, or an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ich habe keine Kreditkarte / Ich möchte mit PayPal oder Banküberweisung ein Kochbuch erwerben / für dein Projekt spenden.
Schick mir bitte eine Nachricht (über Kickstarter) oder Email: email@example.com. Wir finden eine Lösung!
Yes, my first Kickstarter project was very sucessful and got 220% funding. With my original estimates and design plans, I could have printed a few hundred copies of both the English and German cookbook. However, the upgrade to 216 pages in full color with over 100 photographs, additional recipes, and the decision to print 1000 copies in English actually cost almost 3x my original quote from the printer! Most of my other expenses were doubled, too, including spending $3000 on postage to ship all rewards international priority airmail.
In short, another crowdfunding campaign is the best way to achieve the additional funding needed for the German edition production costs: 1000+ copies of the German edition every bit as impressive as the English cookbook.
Lastly, I met and interacted with so many amazing people from my first Kickstarter project, and found a large international audience for the cookbook. I'm excited to be back, and can't wait for more incredible, positive feedback from you when you get the rewards!
Support this project
- (30 days)