The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA!
After 2 successful Kickstarter projects and 2 internationally celebrated cookbooks, The Lotus and the Artichoke is back on Kickstarter! Earlier this year, I returned home to Berlin, Germany after 10 weeks in Sri Lanka – exploring the cities, mountains, coasts and countryside, eating and cooking with the locals everywhere, and riding lots of buses, trains, rickshaws, scooters and boats all over the country.
Since then, I've been recreating the insanely delicious eats, writing up new recipes inspired from the trip, spending hours at my art desk and computer with the illustrations and design, and photographing all the dishes for my next cookbook: The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA! A Culinary Adventure with over 70 Vegan Recipes.
My SRI LANKA Cookbook at a glance:
- My 3rd cookbook of vegan recipes inspired by my travels, stays with families, and cooking in the kitchens of restaurants worldwide
- 144 pages – with over 50 full page color photos
- Stories, art, and recipes inspired by 10 weeks of travel all over Sri Lanka
- Explore diverse Sri Lankan cuisine from the capital, countryside, mountains and coastal towns, including South Indian Tamil specialties from the Northern and Eastern regions – only recently accessible since end of civil clashes in 2009
- Every day classic dishes, impress-anyone curries, fancy feasts, street food superstars, awesome salads and fresh treats, great snacks, and crazy delicious sweets
- Discover new flavors, tasty spices and easy, awesome cooking skills
- Great for cooks of all levels, from beginner to advanced
- recipes use easy-to-find ingredients (cook everything anywhere!)
- Delicious, easy-to-follow recipes designed to satisfy and impress eaters of all ages, tastes, and minds.
- Available in ENGLISH... und auch auf DEUTSCH!
- NEW SRI LANKA "TukTuk" STICKER included with ALL printed book rewards!
- NEW SRI LANKA "TukTuk" T-SHIRT Design!
- Read this Update for more info
- 3 *new* LOTUS ARTICHOKE Travel T-Shirt Designs!
- New design sketches to be posted hopefully soon!
- "The Making of The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA" Mini E-book (PDF) for ALL backers!
- featuring more travel stories & recipe background
- Special download available expected in Oct 2015
- - - - -
T-SHIRT Add-On for any reward: +30€
TOTE BAG Add-On for any reward: +10€
- Increase your pledge and send me a msg!
- see designs below
- details here in this project update
- For all T-Shirt Rewards, 4+ designs are available! (see below)
- All cookbooks & e-books available in ENGLISH & GERMAN!
- BIRDS OF PARADISE also possible as: 2x SRI LANKA or 2x MÉXICO
Why Sri Lanka?
The People: Sri Lankans are incredibly down-to-earth, friendly, inviting, and wonderful people. I've met many in my travels, particularly in Germany and France, but also in North America, and Asia. After so many great conversations and meals, I knew I had to see their homeland!
The Food: Sri Lankan food is unique in its flavors, freshness, and creativity. It has tastes and touches of other Asian styles – South Indian & Thai in particular – but usually uses different, often simpler cooking methods and an exciting array of other spices and flavor combinations. I've had some absolutely amazing meals at Sri Lankan and South Indian restaurants all over the world. Taking a culinary adventure through Sri Lanka plus eating and cooking with the locals was something I'd wanted to do for years! After one week in Sri Lanka I was already certain it would be the focus of my next cookbook.
The Culture: Sri Lanka's history and mix of cultures are intense. It's a land of amazing, elaborate temples – mostly Buddhist and Hindu. It's a place of contradictions where modernity meets antiquity and tradition. Elephants and Hybrid automobiles share the streets. It reminds me of India in so many ways, but it's like a slowed down version.
The Landscape: The mountains are gorgeous, the hillside with their rolling tea plantations are amazing, the cities have their charm, the towns are quaint. The beaches and islands are beautiful, and especially peaceful and wonderful – if you seek out the hidden treasures.
Just some of the delicious RECIPES...
- Jackfruit Curry
- Masala Mushroom Dosa
- Cauliflower Cashew Korma Curry
- Red Beet Curry
- Mango Pineapple Curry
- Pumpkin Dal Curry
- Cabbage Curry – Mellum
- Rocket Coconut Curry – Gowa Atu
- Spicy Seitan Kottu & Vegetable Kottu
- Wild Greens & Ginger Mango Dressing
- Lotus Root Salad – Nalum Ala Salada
- Coconut Carrot Radish Salad
- Idly & Vada – Rice Lentil Dumplings & Fritters
- Sri Lankan Crepes – Vegetable Roti & more
- Streetfood Vegetable Rolls
- Deviled Chickpeas – Kadala Thel Dala
- Hoppers & String Hopper – Appa & Idiyappa
- Coconut Chili Chutney (Pol Sambol)
- Coriander Chutney
- Mango Chutney
- Ladoo Sweets
- Delicious Date Cake
- Coconut Pockets
- Tapioca Pudding – Payasam
- Coconut Rice Syrup Squares – Kalu Dodol
- Banana Pancakes
- Spiced Coconut Pudding – Watalappam
- ...and many more!
You, Me, & Kickstarter
Why Kickstarter? Easy! Because I love it! Crowdfunding is an awesome adventure. I enjoy the interaction with supporters, other cooks, bloggers, travelers, Kickstarters, and people from all over the world that love to dream, and help others with their own dreams.
In 2013, a small, indie publisher in Germany contacted me about being a publishing partner. I soon started working with Ventil Verlag and The Lotus and the Artichoke joined the emerging Edition Kochen ohne Knochen series of vegan & vegetarian cookbooks. It's an incredible partnership, and I enjoy working with an alternative publisher that understands the struggles and challenges for independent authors.
Being with a small publisher, my production costs and expenses for writing, cooking, photographing, illustrating, and designing my own cookbooks are not really covered.
I am passionate about my projects, and know they have a value for many people. I'm here on Kickstarter to ask for your support and involvement, to help continue and evolve The Lotus and the Artichoke project.
THE STORY of The Lotus and the Artichoke
In 2012, my first Kickstarter project The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Cookbook was successful with the help of over 360 amazing backers from around the world. It was my first cookbook in a developing series of books featuring my personal stories, photographs, artwork, and vegan recipes inspired by my travels and culinary experiences in 40 countries.
In December, the first edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures was printed: 1000 copies in full color, featuring over 100 recipes and more than 90 full-page, mouth-watering photographs. The Lotus and the Artichoke quickly became an international sensation!
After another successful Kickstarter project in 2013, The Lotus and the Artichoke was translated and published in German – along with the second English edition.
Later that year, I traveled to Mexico with my partner Julia and our young son Kolja, where we lived in a small town for 3 months, cooking (and surfing) with the locals. I documented our experiences and cooking adventures in my next book, The Lotus and the Artichoke - MEXICO! which was published in English & German in 2014.
Since 2013 I have devoted almost all of my working hours to The Lotus and the Artichoke and other projects in the culinary field. In addition to writing my own cookbooks, I offer international vegan cooking classes, cooking demonstrations and shows, write recipes and do photography for other cookbooks and magazines. I also love to help others with translations, photography, design, and advice on their own projects – almost always dealing with art, travel, and food.
- SEPT 2012: My first Kickstarter project is a SUCCESS!
- DEC 2012: 1st English edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures published.
- MARCH 2013: My second Kickstarter project is a SUCCESS!
- MAY 2013: 1st German edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegane Rezepte eines Weltreisenden published. 2nd English edition printed.
- OCT 2013: The Lotus and the Artichoke nominated by VEBU (German Vegetarian Association) for Best Cookbook of the Year; wins a spot in the TOP 10 COOKBOOKS of 2013!
- MARCH 2014: Return from 3 months in Mexico.
- SEPT 2014: Germany Tour with The Vegan Zombie – Cooking demos, dinner parties, cookbook signings & other events in 9 cities in 11 days. 3rd printing of The Lotus and the Artichoke in German!
- NOV 2014: The Lotus and the Artichoke - MEXICO! printed in German & English.
- MARCH 2015: Return from 10 weeks in Sri Lanka.
- MAY-AUG 2015: Art, Cooking, Writing, Photography & Production of The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA!
- SEPT 2015: Expected publication of The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA in German & English
PRAISE for The Lotus and the Artichoke:
"The Lotus and the Artichoke spiegelt Justins Erlebnisse und seine Liebe zum Reisen und Kochen so nahbar und umfassend wider, dass man so manches Mal meint, selbst dabei gewesen zu sein!" – Nicole Just, Bestsellerautorin von La Veganista
“The Lotus and the Artichoke shares Justin’s love for cooking and world travel with such intensity and passion that you really feel like you were there!” – Nicole Just, bestselling author of La Veganista
"Ein fantastisches Buch, das nicht nur den Hunger, sondern mindestens ebenso doll das Fernweh weckt!" – Sarah Kaufmann (Deutschland) Autorin & Weltreisende von Vegan Guerilla
"A fantastic book that totally fires up your appetite and wanderlust!" – Sarah Kaufmann, Author & World Traveller from Vegan Guerilla
"Whether you're living life in paradise or trapped in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, the recipes in The Lotus and the Artichoke will make you feel as if you traveled to the unique places that inspired them." – Jon & Chris, The Vegan Zombie YouTube stars and authors of Cook & Survive!
"Weil es Spaß macht im Buch zu blättern und durch die vielen verschiedenen Rezepte in andere Länder zu reisen. Weil die Gerichte zwar teilweise exotisch, die Zutaten aber auch ohne Weltreise erhältlich sind. Weil die Speisen mit frischem Gemüse, Kräutern und Gewürzen zubereitet werden... Weil man auf jeder Seite die Leidenschaft und Freude spürt, die Justin beim Reisen und Schreiben des Buches hatte." – Franziska Schmid, Veggie Love
"Wer ebenso gerne wie ich Gerichte aus anderen Ländern der Welt zaubert... der sollte sich dieses Buch unbedingt kaufen. Seine Gerichte sehen wirklich superlecker aus, die Rezepte lesen sich auch total gut." – Linda Sabin, 'V'eltenbummler & Deutschland is(s)t Vegan
"Justin has an unmatched knack for veganizing both popular and obscure dishes from around the world." – Chef Amber Shea, Practically Raw & Practically Raw Desserts
"The Lotus and the Artichoke is a great source for delicious vegan dishes from all over the globe. I love how the detailed recipes are presented along with a personal story from Justin, plus mouth-watering food photography. If you are looking for creative vegan recipes, this is the place!" – Dani, Globetrotter Girls
"The Lotus and the Artichoke will open your mind to new tastes, new lands, and new adventures. I enjoy making these recipes with my family and teaching my young children how simple food choices have a profound impact on our health, the lives of animals, and our planet." – Kristen Palana, Aura's House & Veggie Propaganda
Where does the funding go?
- Food shopping & cooking costs
- Kitchen, studio & photographic expenses
- Video & photography assistance
- Artwork, illustration, design – 100+ hours of work!
- Support translation expenses
- Editing & proofreading help
- Support printing costs and books bought from publisher
- Reward production – Stickers, t-shirts, totebags, etc.
- Postage expenses – for shipping your rewards
- Kickstarter fees
How can you help?
- SUPPORT this Kickstarter with a pledge
- Pick a cool reward – Sponsor generously, enjoy the ride!
- SHARE this Kickstarter – Tell your friends & followers on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, your blog, etc.
- LIKE The Lotus and the Artichoke on FACEBOOK
- Follow me on INSTAGRAM: @lotusartichoke
- Follow me on TWITTER: @lotusartichoke
- Follow me on SNAPCHAT: @lotusartichoke
- Visit lotusartichoke.com - Check out the recipes & stories!
- Help with recipe testing – send a message or leave a comment!
- Review my cookbooks on Goodreads & Amazon.com / Amazon.de
- Contact me for info about interviews, articles, special features, exclusive recipes, and all kinds of publicity & promotion fun.
- - -
Risks and challenges
Expenses increase, delays can happen! I know this well from the 2 Kickstarter campaigns that I've run, as well as several other crowdfunding projects with partners and friends that I helped create and manage. Sure, I've got lots of experience with a lots of stuff, but I also know when it's time to bring in others for help. I'm grateful for the incredible network of supporters and helpers I've got to make all of this happen, and make it awesome.
Crowdfunding is all about communication. The most important thing is to be honest and stay in touch. I'm here to involve you the process, keep it fun and entertaining, and make sure you get MORE than what you expect.
Enjoy the adventure!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)