About this project
The Lotus and the Artichoke - MALAYSIA
After 3 successful Kickstarter projects and 3 internationally celebrated cookbooks, The Lotus and the Artichoke is back on Kickstarter! Earlier this year, I returned home to Berlin, Germany after 5 intense weeks exploring Malaysia, Singapore & Borneo: checking out the cities, cruising the coasts and countryside, island life during the wild Chinese New Year celebrations, staying in a rainforest treehouse, eating and cooking with the locals everywhere, and riding buses, trains, taxis, and boats all over the place.
Since then, I've been recreating the insanely delicious eats, writing up new recipes inspired from the trip, spending hours at my art desk and computer with the illustrations and design, and photographing all the dishes for my next cookbook: The Lotus and the Artichoke - MALAYSIA: A Culinary Adventure with over 70 Vegan Recipes.
- For all T-Shirt Rewards 6 designs available (see below)
- All cookbooks & e-books available in ENGLISH & GERMAN
- TWIN/TRIO Rewards also possible as: 2x MALAYSIA, 3x MALAYSIA, etc.
My MALAYSIA Cookbook at a glance:
- My 4th cookbook of vegan recipes inspired by my travels, stays with families, and cooking in the kitchens of restaurants worldwide
- 160 pages – with over 60 full page color photos
- Personal stories, art, and recipes inspired by 5 weeks of travel in Malaysia, Singapore & Borneo
- Explore amazing Malay, Chinese, and Indian cuisine from the fantastic foodie metropolises Kuala Lumpur & Singapore, culinary heritage highlights of Penang, rising star Ipoh, Sarawak's quaint Kuching, the tribal highlands of Borneo and beyond
- Everyday classics, mind-blowing mains, fabulous feasts, street food superstars, awesome salads & fresh treats, great snacks, and crazy delicious desserts
- Discover new flavors, tasty spices, and easy, awesome cooking skills
- Great for cooks of all levels, from beginner to advanced: Recipes use easy-to-find ingredients (Cook everything anywhere!)
- Delicious, easy-to-follow recipes designed to satisfy and impress eaters of all ages, tastes, and minds
- Available in ENGLISH… und auch auf DEUTSCH!
Some of the recipes:
- Kelabit Mango Salad
- Shredded Beet & Coconut Salad
- Cucumber Zucchini Salad
- Acar – pickled vegetables
- Urap – traditional veg side
- Penang Laksa Soup
- Curry Mee – Nonya Noodle Soup
- Spicy Mushroom Noodle Soup
- Wonton Soup
- Popiah Rolls
- Otak-Otak – steamed quiche pockets
- Satay Skewers w/ peanut sauce
- Serunding Kelapa – roasted coconut & spices
- Sauce Kachang – satay sauce
- Sambal Belachan – red chili sauce
- Pineapple Pepper Chutney
- homemade red curry rempah paste
- vegan faux-fish sauce
- super 5-spice powder
- Nasi Lemak – coconut creamy rice & ginger lemongrass tofu
- Nasi Kandar – Malay street food feast
- Nasi Kerabu - herbs, spices & olive mushroom rice
- Nasi Goreng – fried rice classic
- Mee Goreng – fried noodles with vegetables & crumbled tofu
- KLFC – Kuala Lumpur Fried "Chicken"
- Mushroom Murtabak – stuffed, grilled Indian flatbread
- Sayur Campur – mixed vegetables w/ dark soy sauce
- Sayur Lodeh – mixed vegetables w/ coconut gravy
- Kang-Kong Goreng – stir-fried spinach
- Bao – steamed buns w/ spicy seitan
- Assam Tofu Faux-Fish – Asian casserole
- Crispy Curry Tempeh Cubes
- Soya Rendang
- Black Pepper Seitan
- Eggplant & Okra Tomato Curry
- Szechuan (Kung Pow) Seitan
- Char Kuey Teow – stir-fried rice noodles
- Hong Shao Rou – roasted jackfruit
- Mushroom Manchurian
- Roti Canai – red curry & flatbread w/ chutney
- Banana Leaf – Indian curry meal
- Gobi 65 – Indochinese batter-fried cauliflower
- Punjabi Sizzler Platter
- Apam Balik – crunchy peanut pancakes
- Cendol – shaved ice, green noodles & syrup
- Kueh Dadar – green pandan crepes
- Kueh Lapis – multi-color cake
- Ondeh-Ondeh – sweet, chewy dumplings
- Kuih Kodok – fried banana fritters
- Ais Kachang – coconut ice cream, jackfruit & syrup
- Lychee Banana Sorbet
- Iced Ginger Lime Soda
- Purple Dream
- … and more!
You, Me, & Kickstarter
Why Kickstarter? Easy! Because I love it! Crowdfunding is an awesome adventure. I enjoy the interaction with supporters, other cooks, bloggers, travelers, Kickstarters, and people from all over the world that love to dream, and help others with their own dreams.
In 2013, a small, indie publisher in Germany contacted me about being a publishing partner. I soon started working with Ventil Verlag and The Lotus and the Artichoke joined the emerging Edition Kochen ohne Knochen series of vegan & vegetarian cookbooks. It's an incredible partnership, and I enjoy working with an alternative publisher that understands the struggles and challenges for independent authors.
Being with a small publisher, my production costs and expenses for writing, cooking, photographing, illustrating, and designing my own cookbooks are not really covered.
I am passionate about my projects, and know they have a value for many people. I'm here on Kickstarter to ask for your support and involvement, to help continue and evolve The Lotus and the Artichoke project.
THE STORY of The Lotus and the Artichoke
In 2012, my first Kickstarter project The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Cookbook was successful with the help of over 360 amazing backers from around the world. It was my first cookbook in a developing series of books featuring my personal stories, photographs, artwork, and vegan recipes inspired by my travels and culinary experiences in 40 countries.
In December, the first edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures was printed: 1000 copies in full color, featuring over 100 recipes and more than 90 full-page, mouth-watering photographs. The Lotus and the Artichoke quickly became an international sensation.
After another successful Kickstarter project in 2013, The Lotus and the Artichoke was translated and published in German – along with the second English edition.
Later that year, I traveled to Mexico with my partner Julia and our young son Kolja, where we lived in a small town for 3 months, cooking (and surfing) with the locals. I documented our experiences and cooking adventures in my next book, The Lotus and the Artichoke - MEXICO which was published in English & German in 2014.
The following winter we spent 10 weeks exploring Sri Lanka. The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA was published in 2015, following a sucessful third Kickstarter project with over 737 backers from more than 30 countries worldwide.
I traveled around Malaysia, Singapore & Borneo for 5 weeks in early 2016 learning to cook traditional Malay, Chinese, and Indian dishes from the locals. I've spent the last six months creating all the recipes, artwork, photography & stories for the new cookbook.
Since 2013 I have devoted almost all of my working hours to The Lotus and the Artichoke and other projects in the culinary field. In addition to writing my own cookbooks, I offer international vegan cooking classes, cooking demonstrations & shows, write recipes and do photography for other cookbooks and magazines. I also love to help others with translations, photography, design, and advice on their own projects – almost always dealing with art, travel, and food.
- SEPT 2012: My first Kickstarter project is a SUCCESS!
- DEC 2012: 1st English edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures published.
- MARCH 2013: My second Kickstarter project is a SUCCESS!
- MAY 2013: 1st German edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegane Rezepte eines Weltreisenden published. 2nd English edition printed.
- OCT 2013: The Lotus and the Artichoke nominated by VEBU (German Vegetarian Association) for Best Cookbook of the Year; wins a spot in the TOP 10 COOKBOOKS of 2013!
- MARCH 2014: Return from 3 months in Mexico.
- SEPT 2014: Germany Tour with The Vegan Zombie – Cooking demos, dinner parties, cookbook signings & other events in 9 cities in 11 days. 3rd printing of The Lotus and the Artichoke in German!
- NOV 2014: The Lotus and the Artichoke - MEXICO! printed in German & English.
- MARCH 2015: Return from 10 weeks in Sri Lanka.
- SEPT 2015: My third Kickstarter project is a SUCCESS!
- NOV 2015: The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA published in German & English
- FEB 2016: Return from 5 weeks in Malaysia, Singapore & Borneo
- MAR-SEPT 2016: Art, Cooking, Writing, Photography & Production of The Lotus and the Artichoke - MALAYSIA.
- OCT 2016: Expected publication of The Lotus and the Artichoke - MALAYSIA in German & English.
PRAISE for The Lotus and the Artichoke
"The Lotus and the Artichoke spiegelt Justins Erlebnisse und seine Liebe zum Reisen und Kochen so nahbar und umfassend wider, dass man so manches Mal meint, selbst dabei gewesen zu sein!" – Nicole Just, Bestsellerautorin von La Veganista
“The Lotus and the Artichoke shares Justin’s love for cooking and world travel with such intensity and passion that you really feel like you were there!” – Nicole Just, bestselling author of La Veganista
"Ein fantastisches Buch, das nicht nur den Hunger, sondern mindestens ebenso doll das Fernweh weckt!" – Sarah Kaufmann Autorin & Weltreisende von Vegan Guerilla
"A fantastic book that totally fires up your appetite and wanderlust!" – Sarah Kaufmann, Author & World Traveller from Vegan Guerilla
"Whether you're living life in paradise or trapped in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, the recipes in The Lotus and the Artichoke will make you feel as if you traveled to the unique places that inspired them." – Jon & Chris, The Vegan Zombie YouTube stars and authors of Cook & Survive!
"Weil es Spaß macht im Buch zu blättern und durch die vielen verschiedenen Rezepte in andere Länder zu reisen. Weil die Gerichte zwar teilweise exotisch, die Zutaten aber auch ohne Weltreise erhältlich sind. Weil die Speisen mit frischem Gemüse, Kräutern und Gewürzen zubereitet werden... Weil man auf jeder Seite die Leidenschaft und Freude spürt, die Justin beim Reisen und Schreiben des Buches hatte." – Franziska Schmid, Veggie Love
"Wer ebenso gerne wie ich Gerichte aus anderen Ländern der Welt zaubert... der sollte sich dieses Buch unbedingt kaufen. Seine Gerichte sehen wirklich superlecker aus, die Rezepte lesen sich auch total gut." – Linda Sabin, 'V'eltenbummler
"Justin has an unmatched knack for veganizing both popular and obscure dishes from around the world." – Chef Amber Shea, Practically Raw & Practically Raw Desserts
"The Lotus and the Artichoke is a great source for delicious vegan dishes from all over the globe. I love how the detailed recipes are presented along with a personal story from Justin, plus mouth-watering food photography. If you are looking for creative vegan recipes, this is the place!" – Dani, Globetrotter Girls
"The Lotus and the Artichoke will open your mind to new tastes, new lands, and new adventures. I enjoy making these recipes with my family and teaching my young children how simple food choices have a profound impact on our health, the lives of animals, and our planet." – Kristen Palana, Aura's House & Veggie Propaganda
Where does the funding go?
- Food shopping & cooking costs
- Kitchen, studio & photographic expenses
- Artwork, illustration, design – 100+ hours of work!
- Support translation expenses
- Editing & proofreading help
- Support printing costs and books bought from publisher
- Reward production – Stickers, t-shirts, totebags, etc.
- Postage expenses – for shipping your rewards
- Kickstarter fees
How can you help?
- SUPPORT this Kickstarter with a pledge
- Pick a cool reward – Sponsor generously, enjoy the ride!
- SHARE this Kickstarter – Tell your friends & followers on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, your blog, etc.
- LIKE The Lotus and the Artichoke on FACEBOOK
- Follow me on INSTAGRAM: @lotusartichoke
- Follow me on TWITTER: @lotusartichoke
- Follow me on SNAPCHAT: @lotusartichoke
- Visit lotusartichoke.com - Check out the recipes & stories!
- Help with recipe testing – send a message or leave a comment!
- Review my cookbooks on Goodreads & Amazon.com / Amazon.de
- Contact me for info about interviews, articles, special features, exclusive recipes, and all kinds of publicity & promotion fun.
Risks and challenges
Expenses increase, delays can happen! I know this well from the 3 Kickstarter campaigns that I've run, as well as several other crowdfunding projects with partners and friends that I helped create and manage. Sure, I've got lots of experience with a lots of stuff, but I also know when it's time to bring in others for help. I'm grateful for the incredible network of supporters and helpers I've got to make all of this happen, and make it awesome.
Crowdfunding is all about communication. The most important thing is to be honest and stay in touch. I'm here to involve you the process, keep it fun and entertaining, and make sure you get MORE than what you expect.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)