The Lotus and the Artichoke - INDIA
Hi, it's Justin! I'm back on Kickstarter for my 5th international cookbook project. In 2012, I launched my first project with Kickstarter: The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures, followed by the German edition (Vegane Rezepte eines Weltreisenden) in 2013. The series continued with English and German publications of: The Lotus and the Artichoke - MÉXICO (2014), SRI LANKA (2015), and MALAYSIA (2016).
My new INDIA cookbook has been years in the making – with recipes, stories, artwork & photographs inspired by 8 trips to my most favourite country. It's a culinary love story of my favorite cuisine – based on a total of nearly two years in India and 25 years of devotion to Indian cooking.
My first trip to India was in 2001: mostly North India and Nepal. I spent 4 months on that journey, then another 6 weeks in South India in 2006. I visited twice more, in 2009 & 2010, followed by living and working for a year (as an art teacher) in Central India, returning to Berlin in 2011.
In Autumn 2016 & Spring 2017, I went back to India to taste and explore the last regions (and cuisines) of India still waiting for me. I traveled across Kashmir & Ladakh, trekking through mountain villages and exploring towns and cities, staying mostly with families and cooking together in their kitchens. Then I went deep into the Northeast: West Bengal, Assam, Sikkim, and Nagaland. I even met with world famous chefs at their restaurants – and homes – for incredible eats and great times in the kitchen.
Now I'm back in Berlin, recreating the culinary wonders of the Indian subcontinent in my own kitchen. As with my previous 4 cookbooks, I have written, illustrated, cooked, photographed, and designed this book myself. It's a labor of love and the ultimate combination of my passions: art, travel, vegan cooking, and photography.
My INDIA Cookbook at a glance:
- My 5th cookbook of vegan recipes inspired by my travels, stays with families, and cooking in the kitchens of restaurants worldwide
- 192 pages with 90+ recipes and over 70 full-page color photos
- Personal stories, art, and recipes inspired by 8 trips / 21+ months of travel around India and over 25 years vegan cooking experience
- Total variety of regional cuisines: Rajasthani, Gujarati, Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, Maharashtrian, Tamil, Kerelan, Karnatakan, Goan, Hyderbadi, Bengali, Assamese, Sikkimese, Ladakhi, Tibetan, Nepali
- Indian classics & family favorites, timeless treats, new culinary wonders, mind-blowing mega-metropolitan snacks, fabulous village feasts, scrumptious street food, and insanely delicious desserts
- Discover new flavors, tasty spices, and awesome cooking skills
- Great for cooks of all levels, from beginner to advanced: Recipes use easy-to-find ingredients (Cook everything, anywhere!)
- Delicious, easy-to-follow recipes designed to satisfy and impress eaters of all ages, tastes, and minds
- Available in ENGLISH… und auch auf DEUTSCH!
Recipes in The Lotus and the Artichoke - INDIA:
- Garam Masala, Sambar Masala, Chaat Masala & Panch Puran
- Tamarind Ginger, Pineapple, Tomato, Coconut, Chili & Bhang Chutneys
- Aam Achar - Mango Pickle
- Amitar Khar - Assamese papaya starter
- Handvo - Gujurati zucchini cake
- Uttapam - South Indian rice & lentil pancakes with tomatoes
- Idly Paper Dosa - Karnatakan crispy rice & lentil crepes
- Rava Dosa - Tamil semolina crepes
- Dahi Vada Chaat - lentil cakes with yogurt & chutney
- Hariali Paneer Tikka - Punjabi tofu skewers with spices & herbs
- Gobi Pakora - batter-fried cauliflower
- Mirchi Vada - Rajasthani batter-fried chillies
- Aloo Tikka - spicy, fried potato cakes
- Samosa - vegetable-stuffed fried pastry
- Pani Puri - potato-stuffed fried pastry with tamarind spice water
- Pav Bhaji – spicy vegetable mash with fresh baked buns
- Momos - Tibetan vegetable dumplings
- Shapaley - Tibetan vegetable pies
- Kolkota Kathi Roll - spicy soymeat & shredded cabbage wrap
- Sambar Bandhgobi Rolls - stuffed cabbage leaves
- Aloo Dum - Kashmiri tomato potato curry
- Shahi Tamatar - roasted stuffed tomatoes
- Shahi Bengan - roasted stuffed eggplant
- Shahi Mirch - roasted stuffed peppers
- Shahi Paneer - tofu cubes in creamy, tomato curry
- Paneer Jalfrezi - spicy tofu cubes
- Saag Paneer - spinach & tofu cubes
- Mutter Paneer – peas & tofu cubes
- Xaak - Assamese greens, potatoes & cherry tomatoes
- Bengan Bhartha - Kashmiri roasted aubergine
- Malai Kofta - potato dumplings in creamy tomato curry
- Bindi Aloo Tawa Masala - spicy stir-fried okra & potatoes
- Khumb Kaju Makhani - Rajasthani cashew mushroom curry
- Shukto - Bengali eggplant, potato & plantains
- Pumpkin Posto - Bengali squash in creamy poppy seed curry
- Seitan Vindaloo - Goan tangy curry
- Black Sesame Seitan - Assamese spicy curry
- Tamatar Pitika - Assamese tomatoes with herbs & spices
- Aloo Pitika - Assamese potatoes with herbs & spices
- Bol Tenga - Assames lentil dumplings in tangy curry
- Mas Tenga - Assamese tangy jackfruit curry
- Chupke - Tibetan dumpling soup
- Tarka Dal - Punjabi lentil curry
- Chana Masala - spicy chickpeas
- Rajma – Kashmiri red kidney bean curry
- Lobia Palak - black-eyed peas with lemon & spinach
- Golden Rice – with turmeric & spices
- Chana Pulao - rice with chickpeas
- Pulihora - Tamil tamarind rice with peanuts & spices
- Classic Biryani - Kashmiri rice dish with vegetables, nuts & spices
- Jackfruit Biryani - Tamil coconut rice dish with spicy jackfruit
- Tupula Bhaat - Assamese sticky rice steamed in banana leaves
- Aloo Paratha - grilled flatbread stuffed with potatoes
- Tibetan Bread - fried breakfast snack
- Makki Roti - grilled cornbread
- Roti - wholewheat grilled flatbread
- Garlic Naan - traditional baked flatbread
- Poori - deep-fried flatbreads
- Date Ladoo - date & nut sweets
- Besan Ladoo - chickpea sweet
- Gajur Halava - spiced carrot pudding
- Berry Halava - strawberry & blueberry semolina sweet
- Mysore Pak - traditional sweet squares
- Gulab Jamun - deep-fried dough balls in rose syrup
- Rasmalai - cheese balls in saffron mango milk
- Jalebi - fried, syrupy sweet
- Peda - lemon cashew creamy sweet
- Kheer - Kashmiri rice pudding with cardamom, nuts & raisins
- Mishti Doi – Bengali sweet curd
- Shrikand – Maharashtran yogurt dessert
- Pista Kulfi - pistachio ice cream
- Pitha - Bengali sesame & date pastry
- Narikol Ladoo - Assamese shredded coconut balls
- Kadala Parippu - Keralan sweet chana dal dessert
- Ginger Chai - spiced black tea
- Kahwa - Kashmiri green tea with almond & saffron
- Badam Dudh - almond milk with cardamom & cinnamon
- Anjoor Kaju Dudh - cashew shake with fig & date
- Strawberry Mint Lassi - yogurt smoothie
You, Me, & Kickstarter
Why Kickstarter? Easy! Because I love it! Crowdfunding is an awesome adventure. I enjoy the interaction with supporters, other cooks, bloggers, travelers, Kickstarters, and people from all over the world that love to dream, and help others with their own dreams.
In 2013, a small, indie publisher in Germany contacted me about being a publishing partner. I soon started working with Ventil Verlag and The Lotus and the Artichoke joined the emerging Edition Kochen ohne Knochen series of vegan & vegetarian cookbooks. It's an incredible partnership, and I enjoy working with an alternative publisher that understands the struggles and challenges for independent authors.
Being with a small publisher, my production costs and expenses for writing, cooking, photographing, illustrating, and designing my own cookbooks are not really covered.
I am passionate about my projects, and know they have a value for many people. I'm here on Kickstarter to ask for your support and involvement, to help continue and evolve The Lotus and the Artichoke project.
THE STORY of The Lotus and the Artichoke
In 2012, my first Kickstarter project The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Cookbook was successful with the help of over 360 amazing backers from around the world. It was my first cookbook in a developing series of books featuring my personal stories, photographs, artwork, and vegan recipes inspired by my travels and culinary experiences in 40 countries.
In December, the first edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures was printed: 1000 copies in full color, featuring over 100 recipes and more than 90 full-page, mouth-watering photographs. The Lotus and the Artichoke quickly became an international sensation.
After another successful Kickstarter project in 2013, The Lotus and the Artichoke – Vegane Rezepte eines Weltreisenden was translated and published in German – along with the second English edition.
Later that year, I traveled to Mexico with my partner Julia and our young son Kolja, where we lived in a small town for 3 months, cooking (and surfing) with the locals. I documented our experiences and cooking adventures in my next book, The Lotus and the Artichoke - MÉXICO which was published in English & German in 2014.
The following winter we spent 10 weeks exploring Sri Lanka. The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA was published in 2015, following a sucessful third Kickstarter project with over 737 backers from more than 30 countries worldwide.
I traveled around Malaysia, Singapore & Borneo for 5 weeks in early 2016 learning to cook traditional Malay, Chinese, and Indian dishes from the locals. The Lotus and the Artichoke - MALAYSIA was published that year, after another successful Kickstarter with support from all over the world.
In Autumn 2016 and Spring 2017 I went for my 7th and 8th trip to India to for six weeks of research and cooking on location in Kashmir, Ladakh, and the Northeast States. I've been hard at work cooking and creating The Lotus and the Artichoke - INDIA, my biggest and best country-specific vegan cookbook yet!
Since 2013 I have devoted almost all of my working hours to The Lotus and the Artichoke and other projects in the culinary field. In addition to writing my own cookbooks, I offer international vegan cooking classes, cooking demonstrations & shows, write recipes and do photography for other cookbooks and magazines. I also love to help others with translations, photography, design, and advice on their own projects – almost always dealing with art, travel, and food.
PRAISE for The Lotus and the Artichoke
"The Lotus and the Artichoke spiegelt Justins Erlebnisse und seine Liebe zum Reisen und Kochen so nahbar und umfassend wider, dass man so manches Mal meint, selbst dabei gewesen zu sein!" – Nicole Just, Bestsellerautorin von La Veganista
“The Lotus and the Artichoke shares Justin’s love for cooking and world travel with such intensity and passion that you really feel like you were there!” – Nicole Just, bestselling author of La Veganista
"Unser allerliebster verrückter Weltreisender ist wieder da!" – Nadine Horn & Jörg Mayer, Bestseller-Autoren von eat this! Vegan kann jeder
"Ein fantastisches Buch, das nicht nur den Hunger, sondern mindestens ebenso doll das Fernweh weckt!" – Sarah Kaufmann, Autorin & Weltreisende von Vegan Guerilla
"A fantastic book that totally fires up your appetite and wanderlust!" – Sarah Kaufmann, Author & World Traveller from Vegan Guerilla & Outdoor Cooking
"Whether you're living life in paradise or trapped in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, the recipes in The Lotus and the Artichoke will make you feel as if you traveled to the unique places that inspired them." – Jon & Chris, The Vegan Zombie YouTube stars and authors of Cook & Survive!
"Wer ebenso gerne wie ich Gerichte aus anderen Ländern der Welt zaubert... der sollte sich dieses Buch unbedingt kaufen. Seine Gerichte sehen wirklich superlecker aus, die Rezepte lesen sich auch total gut." – Linda Sabin, 'V'eltenbummler
"The Lotus and the Artichoke is a great source for delicious vegan dishes from all over the globe. I love how the detailed recipes are presented along with a personal story from Justin, plus mouth-watering food photography. If you are looking for creative vegan recipes, this is the place!" – Dani, Globetrotter Girls
"The Lotus and the Artichoke will open your mind to new tastes, new lands, and new adventures. I enjoy making these recipes with my family and teaching my young children how simple food choices have a profound impact on our health, the lives of animals, and our planet." – Kristen Palana, Aura's House & Veggie Propaganda
Where does the funding go?
- Food shopping & cooking costs
- Kitchen, studio & photographic expenses
- Artwork, illustration, design – 100+ hours of work!
- Support translation expenses
- Editing & proofreading help
- Support printing costs and books bought from publisher
- Reward production – Stickers, t-shirts, totebags, etc.
- Postage expenses – for shipping your rewards
- Kickstarter fees
How can you help?
- SUPPORT this Kickstarter with a pledge
- Pick a cool reward – Sponsor generously, enjoy the ride!
- SHARE this Kickstarter – Tell your friends & followers on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, your blog, etc.
- LIKE The Lotus and the Artichoke on FACEBOOK
- Follow me on INSTAGRAM: @lotusartichoke
- Follow me on TWITTER: @lotusartichoke
- Follow me on SNAPCHAT: @lotusartichoke
- Visit lotusartichoke.com - Check out the recipes & stories!
- Help with recipe testing – send a message or leave a comment!
- Review my cookbooks on Goodreads & Amazon.com / Amazon.de / Amazon.co.uk
- Contact me for info about interviews, articles, special features, exclusive recipes, and all kinds of publicity & promotion fun.
Risks and challenges
Kickstarter and crowdfunding can be crazy, messy, and dangerous. From tripled postage costs and doubled production expenses to unforeseen delays, partnership breakdowns, and other surprises – lots can happen! I should know. In the last 5 years, I've supported over a hundred campaigns by others, run 4 successful Kickstarter campaigns of my own, plus created and managed 2 more in the vegan/culinary scene, and consulted on over a dozen others behind the scenes.
Yes, I've got lots of experience with lots of stuff, but I also know when it's time to bring in others for help. I'm grateful for the incredible network of supporters and helpers I've got to make all of this happen, and make it awesome.
Crowdfunding is all about communication. The most important thing is to be honest and stay in touch. I'm here to involve you the process, keep it fun and entertaining, and make sure you get MORE than you expect.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)