The Lotus and the Artichoke - ETHIOPIA vegan cookbook
70+ vegan recipes inspired by my travels & culinary adventures in cities, towns & villages of Ethiopia.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, September 27 2018 12:57 PM UTC +00:00.
The Lotus and the Artichoke - ETHIOPIA
Hi, it's Justin! I'm back on Kickstarter now for my 6th international cookbook project. In 2012, I launched my first project with Kickstarter: The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures, followed by the German edition (Vegane Rezepte eines Weltreisenden) in 2013. The series continued with English and German publications of: The Lotus and the Artichoke - MÉXICO (2014), SRI LANKA (2015), MALAYSIA (2016), and INDIA (2017).
This year I traveled to Ethiopia in the weeks before Easter – one of several special times of fasting, when the majority of the country eats entirely vegan! I explored the central cities, traveled overland to the north, went trekking in the highlands and stayed with families in remote villages.
As with all my travels and culinary research, I am extremely grateful for the privilege to learn, share & exchange, and be guided & supported by many families and professional cooks who invited me in their kitchens and shared amazing meals with me.
Since returning to Berlin, I've been cooking Ethiopian and Eritrean food practically non-stop, recreating recipes and dishes, constantly inviting friends and guests to my cooking studio for lunch and dinner parties.
The Lotus and the Artichoke - ETHIOPIA is my newest cookbook with original recipes, artwork, photography and stories inspired by these latest culinary adventures. It includes over 70 recipes based on the mouth-watering meals in bustling cities & towns, at road-stop eateries, and in rural highland villages.
As with my previous 5 cookbooks, I have written, illustrated, cooked, photographed, and designed this book myself. The Lotus and the Artichoke is the ultimate combination of my passions: art, travel, vegan cooking, and photography.
The ETHIOPIA Cookbook at a glance:
- My 6th cookbook of vegan recipes inspired by my travels, stays with families, and cooking in the kitchens of restaurants worldwide
- 140 pages with 70+ recipes and over 60 full-page color photos
- Personal stories, art, and recipes inspired by my travels and culinary adventures in East Africa
- Also based on experiences with international communities of Europe (London, Paris, and Berlin) and North America (Philadelphia, New York, and Washington D.C.) and over 25 years of vegan cooking
- Ethiopian & Eritrean classics, familiar restaurant & family favourites, delicious delights, wonders & surprises, and creative culinary experiments
- Discover new flavors, tasty spices, and cooking skills
- Great for cooks of all levels, from beginner to advanced: Recipes use easy-to-find ingredients (Cook everything, anywhere!)
- Delicious, easy-to-follow recipes designed to satisfy and impress eaters of all ages, tastes, and minds
- Available in ENGLISH… und auch auf DEUTSCH!
Recipes in The Lotus and the Artichoke - ETHIOPIA
- Traditional Berbere spice mix (simple + advanced)
- Nitir Qibe - spiced butter/oil
- Mitmita - extra hot spice mix
- Wot Qimen - black pepper spice mix
- Awaze - super hot spice mix
- Shiro - chickpea/bean spice mix
Traditional Injera - Ethiopian sourdough crepe
- Quick Injera
- Ambasha – sweet raisin bread
- Doro Dabo - baked stuffed bread
- Difo Dabo – spiced bread
- Pizza Lalibela – with tomato sauce & roasted potato topping
- Sambosa - savory pastry with lentil filling
- Senig Karia - roasted spicy stuffed chilies
- Injera Firfir - traditional flatbread with spicy tomato sauce
- Yesuf Fitfit - chopped injera & lemon sunflower seed dressing
- Kita (Injekita) - sweet breakfast flatbread & jam
- Chornake / Pasty - fried bread
- Genfo - roasted wheat & barley porridge
- Selata – super simple salad
- Selata Delux – with mango, dates, avocado mixed greens & lentils
- Butecha – chickpea "egg" salad
- Selata Timtim – tomato salad
- Selata Dinich – potato salad
- Selata Bekarot – carrot salad
- Telba – roasted flax dressing
- Shiro Wot – chickpea puree
- Misir Wot - red lentils
- Doro Wot - spicy seitan
- Soy Tibs – spicy soymeat strips
- Ingudai Wot – spicy mushrooms
- Bamia – spicy okra
- Minchet Abish – spicy soy mince & walnuts
- Shimbra Asa - spicy chickpea "fish"
- Kik Alicha - yellow lentils
- Atakilt Alicha - cabbage, carrots & potatoes
- Keysir – beet root
- Duba Alicha – pumpkin stew
- Tikr Gomen – greens with garlic
- Spinach Dinich – spinach & roasted potatoes
- Fosolia - green beans & carrots
- Asa Tibs - lemon pepper jackfruit fritters
- Tofu Alicha – batter fried tofu in mild garlic & onion sauce
- Ingudai Alicha - mushrooms w/ creamy cashew, lemon, pepper, thyme, parsley
- Peppers & Potatoes – garlic ginger stir-fry
- Inkulal Firfir - spicy tofu scramble & tomatoes
- Ful - fava beans
- Ayib - cottage cheese
- Bedergan - roasted eggplant
Vegetable Pasta - spaghetti with mixed chopped vegetables
- Macaroni Firfir - noodles with garlic onion tomato sauce on injera
- Shepherd's Pie - lentil filling & mashed potato topping
- Ethiopian Mashed Potatoes
- Traditional Coffee Ceremony
- Spiced Black Tea
- Roiboos tea with lemon, ginger & cardamon
- Mango Moringa Banana Smoothie
- Injera w/ dates
- Banana Bread
- Fasting Muffins
- Rooibos Tea Ice Cream
Video: Justin P. Moore
Music: Nils Kercher "Nanfulle" from Ancient Intimations (live)
©2016 Ancient Pulse Music
You, Me, & Kickstarter
Why Kickstarter? Because I love it! Crowdfunding is an awesome adventure. I enjoy the interaction with supporters, other cooks, bloggers, travelers, Kickstarter backers, and people from all over the world that love to dream, and help others with their own dreams.
In 2013, a small, indie publisher in Germany contacted me about being a publishing partner. I soon started working with Ventil Verlag and The Lotus and the Artichoke joined the emerging Edition Kochen ohne Knochen series of vegan & vegetarian cookbooks. It's an incredible partnership, and I enjoy working with an alternative publisher that understands the struggles and challenges for independent authors.
Being with a small publisher, my production costs and expenses for writing, cooking, photographing, illustrating, and designing my own cookbooks are not really covered.
I am passionate about my projects, and know they have a value for many people. I'm here on Kickstarter to ask for your support and involvement, to help continue and evolve The Lotus and the Artichoke project.
THE STORY of The Lotus and the Artichoke
In 2012, my first Kickstarter project The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Cookbook was successful with the help of over 360 amazing backers from around the world. It was my first cookbook in a developing series of books featuring my personal stories, photographs, artwork, and vegan recipes inspired by my travels and culinary experiences in 40 countries.
In December, the first edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke - Vegan Recipes from World Adventures was printed: 1000 copies in full color, featuring over 100 recipes and more than 90 full-page, mouth-watering photographs. The Lotus and the Artichoke quickly became an international sensation.
After another successful Kickstarter project in 2013, The Lotus and the Artichoke – Vegane Rezepte eines Weltreisenden was translated and published in German – along with the second English edition.
Later that year, I traveled to Mexico with my partner Julia and our young son Kolja, where we lived in a small town for 3 months, cooking (and surfing) with the locals. I documented our experiences and cooking adventures in my next book, The Lotus and the Artichoke - MÉXICO which was published in English & German in 2014.
The following winter we spent 10 weeks exploring Sri Lanka. The Lotus and the Artichoke - SRI LANKA was published in 2015, following a sucessful third Kickstarter project with over 737 backers from more than 30 countries worldwide.
I traveled around Malaysia, Singapore & Borneo for 5 weeks in early 2016 learning to cook traditional Malay, Chinese, and Indian dishes from the locals. The Lotus and the Artichoke - MALAYSIA was published that year, after another successful Kickstarter with support from all over the world.
In Autumn 2016 and Spring 2017 I went for my 7th and 8th trip to India to for six weeks of research and cooking on location in Kashmir, Ladakh, and the Northeast States. The Lotus and the Artichoke - INDIA was my most successful Kickstarter project, with support from 1,165 backers in over 40 countries.
Since 2013 I have devoted almost all of my working hours to The Lotus and the Artichoke and other projects in the culinary field. In addition to writing my own cookbooks, I offer international vegan cooking classes, cooking demonstrations & shows, write recipes and do photography for other cookbooks and magazines. I also love to help others with translations, photography, design, and advice on their own projects – almost always dealing with art, travel, and food.
PRAISE for The Lotus and the Artichoke
"The Lotus and the Artichoke spiegelt Justins Erlebnisse und seine Liebe zum Reisen und Kochen so nahbar und umfassend wider, dass man so manches Mal meint, selbst dabei gewesen zu sein!" – Nicole Just, Bestsellerautorin von La Veganista
“The Lotus and the Artichoke shares Justin’s love for cooking and world travel with such intensity and passion that you really feel like you were there!” – Nicole Just, bestselling author of La Veganista
"Unser allerliebster verrückter Weltreisender ist wieder da!" – Nadine Horn & Jörg Mayer, Bestseller-Autoren von eat this! Vegan kann jeder
"A fantastic book that totally fires up your appetite and wanderlust!" – Sarah Kaufmann, Author & World Traveller from Vegan Guerilla and Outdoor Cooking
"Whether you're living life in paradise or trapped in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, the recipes in The Lotus and the Artichoke will make you feel as if you traveled to the unique places that inspired them." – Jon & Chris, The Vegan Zombie YouTube stars and authors of Cook & Survive!
"The Lotus and the Artichoke will open your mind to new tastes, new lands, and new adventures. I enjoy making these recipes with my family and teaching my young children how simple food choices have a profound impact on our health, the lives of animals, and our planet." – Kristen Palana, Aura's House & Veggie Propaganda
Where does the funding go?
- Food shopping & cooking costs
- Kitchen, studio & photographic expenses
- Artwork, illustration, design – 100+ hours of work!
- Support translation expenses
- Editing & proofreading help
- Support printing costs and books bought from publisher
- Reward production – Stickers, t-shirts, totebags, etc.
- Postage expenses – for shipping your rewards
- Kickstarter fees
How can you help?
- SUPPORT this Kickstarter with a pledge
- Pick a cool reward – Sponsor generously, enjoy the ride!
- SHARE this Kickstarter – Tell your friends & followers on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, your blog, etc.
- LIKE The Lotus and the Artichoke on FACEBOOK
- Follow me on INSTAGRAM: @lotusartichoke
- Follow me on TWITTER: @lotusartichoke
- Visit lotusartichoke.com - Check out the recipes & stories!
- Help with recipe testing – send a message or leave a comment!
- Review my cookbooks on Goodreads & Amazon.com / Amazon.de / Amazon.co.uk
- Contact me for info about interviews, articles, special features, exclusive recipes, and all kinds of publicity & promotion fun.
Risks and challenges
Kickstarter and crowdfunding can be crazy, messy, and dangerous. From tripled postage costs and doubled production expenses to unforeseen delays, partnership breakdowns, and other surprises – lots can happen! I should know. In the last 6 years, I've supported over a hundred campaigns by others, run 5 successful Kickstarter campaigns of my own, plus created and managed 3 more in the vegan/culinary scene, and consulted on over a dozen others behind the scenes.
Yes, I've got lots of experience with lots of stuff, but I also know when it's time to bring in others for help. I'm grateful for the incredible network of supporters and helpers I've got to make all of this happen, and make it awesome.
Crowdfunding is all about communication. The most important thing is to be honest and stay in touch. I'm here to involve you the process, keep it fun and entertaining, and make sure you get MORE than you expect.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!