We're creating a graphic novel that uses story, analogy and illustration to help save children from becoming victims of sex trafficking
We're creating a graphic novel that uses story, analogy and illustration to help save children from becoming victims of sex trafficking Read more
About this project
You can help save one child from becoming a victim of sex trafficking for $10.
- This Kickstarter is supporting the creation of a graphic novel that uses story, analogy and illustration to make the invisible trafficking problem visible and top of mind for children of all ages in less than 10 minutes.
- We're mobilizing an army to fight trafficking by providing the tools they need to protect themselves and their peers from becoming victims.
- The cost to deploy is $10 per at-risk child. This provides schools with the graphic novel, 1000 eBooks, study guides, teacher guides appropriate for various age groups and the tools necessary to fight trafficking.
- By participating in this project and sharing it with your friends, you are raising awareness for this issue and helping to fight against sex trafficking.
The best way to learn how this project works is to take the Trafficking Challenge.
There is no time to waste. Every two minutes, one child becomes a victim of sex trafficking the the United States: Equal to the average wait time for a latte at Starbucks. This number multiplies exponentially when the entire world is included.
We're running a Kickstarter campaign that ends December 4th. Our goal is to raise $7500 which will give us the seed capital to deploy this program to 100 schools. We'll track the results, report back to our supporters, then begin raising the $3 million we need to get Isfits into every school in the United States. From there, we deploy Isfits to the world.
Save a child now by supporting our Kickstarter Campaign and sharing this project with your friends.
- The emotional and life cost incurred by a victim of trafficking is incalculable.
- The financial costs of trafficking to society can exceed tens of thousands of dollars per victim.
- The cost of helping to prevent one child from becoming a victim is $10.
How many victims will you help save?
Support this project by selecting a reward level now.
When we were exposed to the huge problem of sex trafficking in the United States and around the world, we were moved to join the fight.
How big is the problem?
- 100,000 to 300,000 children become victims of sex slavery each year in the United States. (Ernie Allen, President of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
- 12-14 is the average age of entry intro prostitution. (Polaris Project: Comparison Chart of Primary Sex Trafficking Networks in the U.S.)
- 20% of all internet pornography involves children who are victims of human trafficking (National Center for Mission & Exploited Children)
- Less than 1% of victims are ever identified. (2010 Trafficking in Persons Report, U.S. Department of State)
- In many urban areas of the United States, an unaccompanied teenage girl will be approached by a pimp in less than 20 minutes.
Helping survivors of sex trafficking is an amazing goal, but we wanted to help prevent girls from becoming victims in the first place.
We wanted to attack this problem in a new and powerful way. After a year of development, we uncovered an incredible tool for fighting sex trafficking. We call it Isfits.
What Is Isfits?
- A completely new genre of fiction that uses analogy, graphic design and original illustration to capture the imagination and mobilize today's generation toward ending sex trafficking
- A cast of characters sampled from icons of adolescence, re-imagined.
- 6 short stories in one full-length book
- Nearly 200 original designs
The graphic novel we're creating will be used by students to encourage discussion about this issue and mobilize today's generation to fight this problem.
Based on current statistics, each graphic novel will reach the social circles of three children who are most at risk of becoming sex slaves. By training the teenagers in these circles to watch for warning signs in themselves and others, we can help prevent those most at risk kids from becoming enslaved.
You can experience this project first hand by taking the Trafficking Challenge. It takes 10 minutes, but could affect you for a lifetime.
Sample pages from the book
The cast of Isfits Vol. 1
Cinderella scratched a new line on the wall every night when the clock struck twelve. For 999 nights, she’d sworn to herself that she wouldn’t stay long enough to see 1000. Cinderella heard the old man and the old woman clunking up the stairs. The clock began to chime. Cinderella was out of time. She had a decision to make--the kind of decision that could change her life or take it from her.￼ Cinderella entering the potty forest - Click here to read her story
Here are a few Isfits that will be featured in future short stories: Adam Claus, Bowker, Eddie the Crayon, Fleabags, Goodnight Ninja, JackRabbit, Kat in the Sack, Lord Trenchcoat, Pigmouth, Queen of Spades, Travis the Tree, Ulga, Wizard of Can't, Yaks Gone Wild, and Zzzzoldermort
Featuring 6 stories, the eBook will be optimized for display on color tablets and laptop computers. We’ll keep you up to date with each of the six stories as they’re completed, plus we’ll send the full version that includes all six stories when it’s ready. The eBook will be compatible with all popular eReaders including Kindle, iPad, Nook, Kobo and many more.
This full-color hardback, dust jacketed, book measures 8.5” square and .75” thick. Every copy will be signed by Isfits creators, Justin Blaney and Benji Todd. The estimated page count is 200. You will also receive the eBook.
Option A: Choose from one of the 6 illustrated character portraits. These illustrations require 100s of hours of work to complete. The details are best appreciated when blown up to 12” X 36” print size.
Option B: Receive a vertical print that includes all 14 layouts from one of the stories in a single print.
All prints will be signed by the creators of Isfits, Justin Blaney and Benji Todd.
You will also receive a copy of the hardback book and eBook.
Identical to the prints, except your artwork will be printed on canvas. You will select the artwork for your canvas when the project is complete and all the illustrations are complete.
Below is an example of option A for the canvas art, hanging in my office. You'll get to choose from one of the six illustrations when they are complete. Check out the Isfits introduction section for concept sketches of the other 5 characters.
If you select the entire graphic novel on a single canvas (option 2), the layout is different than the prints. Because of the dimensions necessary for canvas artwork, the pages are laid out two wide.
The other five short stories will look different than Cinderella's story. They may have different fonts or a more cohesive color scheme.
You will also receive the hardback book, eBook and digital art.
What will we do if this project overfunds?
It we overfund, we'll be able to send more copies of these books to libraries and save more kids from becoming victims of sex trafficking.
Stretch Goal #1 - $12,000
We'll turn the first eBook into an animated and narrated video. This will help us spread the word about this project and increase its reach, resulting in increasing our ability to save kids.
Risks and challenges
The most likely risk is that it might take longer than anticipated to deliver the final product. This risk is mitigated by the fact that the creators of Isfits are experienced at delivering creative products on deadline so missing our projected delivery date is not likely. If we run into any problems, we'll be in touch via the update feature provided by Kickstarter.
If you have questions, we would of course be happy to answer them. Just email us.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)