About this project
The mission of this campaign is to raise funds to finish the rest of the images in the series, create and print a limited edition run of the finished book, and distribute the books, prints, and rewards to backers.
It's only a very small sampling of the final product, but it should give you guys an idea of what I'm imagining for the final presentation. The finished version will be 75+ pages of images and short-stories!
WHY IS THIS SO EXPENSIVE!?
This project is more like a small film-production than a photography series. We have a BUNCH of images to do, and there is a whole team of professionals involved that can't afford to work for free. Only a small amount of this stuff is Photoshop magic, it requires mostly real-life props, people, and effects.
Half of the money is for the production of the images, the other half is to print the finished books and fine-art prints for my backers (without a publisher, which is way more expensive). For more specifics scroll down on this page to see a more detailed explanation. Thank you!
The finished book will tell the full story of Charles Moray and the impact of his company across the city and beyond. The plot is already planned and written, I just need to complete the images and finish writing some of the short stories.
How the money will be used:
1) Expand the size and scope of the remaining 20-25 images. This means bigger shots, more models, more action, and more intricate environments.
2) Apply for shooting licenses, rent locations and studio space when necessary, and possibly build sets. So far we have been very limited in terms of where we can shoot and how wide the shots can be (I've had to shoot over half of them in and around my apartment building).
3) Rent and build props & costumes. These will be things like vintage and retro furnishings for scenes, and also story related objects like laser-guns, robot parts, space-suits, and miniatures.
3) Pay my team and talent for their contributions on the future images. This includes models, makeup artist, clothing stylist, set designer, and assistants. All of them have been generously volunteering their time and skills so far, and I also want to provide them with resources to push their craft.
4) Print books and special edition photographs. This is a big one, since I don't have a publisher yet. Using Blurb as the printer, the books will be 12x12" and 8x10", and approximately 80 pages. Doing a first edition of between 60 and 100 copies (depending upon demand), and factoring in domestic shipping costs, I've set aside 7,000 dollars of the funds for this.
That leaves about 13,000 for the actual creation of the images. I'm hoping to have a budget of approximately 500 dollars for each. With a goal of 20-25 new images, the money will go very quickly.
If enough money is raised past the goal, I will be creating subsequent book editions and more incentive levels to secure them.
Backers need not fear whether I will complete the project, I've been obsessively working on it for a year and a half to reach this point. Those taking the time to examine my blog will see I've output a new image every 2-3 weeks, with only a few exceptions, since the spring of 2012. I'm more passionate about finishing this book than virtually anything else in my life, and the people working with me are incredible professionals in their own right, and among my closest friends.
Essentially what I've done so far is cherry pick planned images from throughout the story, ones that were financially feasible based on my income, and did them first. This campaign is to raise the money to go back through and finally shoot the rest, which are more work, more ambitious, and also some of the coolest.
Beyond the project
The 5th Dimension universe has already begun to develop a life of its own, and myself and other creatives do not plan on stopping with the book. We imagine live-action adaptations, an expanded universe for other artists & authors to develop and explore, podcasts, and much more. This campaign and your support can not only help me complete the book, but also jump-start a whole slew of other great content.
For those who support us,
Anybody that supports the project, if you're in Chicago please shoot me an email and we'll hang out. We'll grab a drink and talk about how awesome Rod Serling is.
In addition, we will be checking in regularly with updates about how the project is going. This will include behind-the-scenes photographs, videos, and interviews with me and the rest of the team.
Also, every copy of the book will come with an invitation to the project-completion party in 2014! (Unfortunately, travel expenses not included).
Special thanks to:
- Chicago's very own The Fat Babies for letting us use their song "Please" for the video!
-Aidan Brezonick and Trope Americana for putting together the video
-All of my friends, family, colleagues, fans, and supporters who have helped the project grow to this point.
For Chicago backers, no shipping is required. We can either meet personally for the exchange, or I will arrange delivery myself.
For domestic shipping, the cost is built into the reward.
For international, maximum 60 dollars. My hope is that a publisher will jump on board during the campaign to offset the cost, and if so I will pass those savings along immediately.
Risks and challenges
The obstacles I'm likely to face are the same ones I've been contending with up to this point. With a project of this scope, there are lots of components addressed by various professionals, much like a film production. Sometimes collaboration leads to disagreement, but I'm so close to my team that this dialogue always leads to new and exciting results.
There are going to be some growing pains associated with some of the wider scales, but for me personally, it's very exciting. Most of my personal fulfillment is derived from pushing myself out of comfort zones, and I would love to get into some larger and more intricate productions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)