T. rex and Megalodon
Tyrannosaurus Rex was one of the most powerful predators to rule the surface of the planet. Megalodon, meanwhile, was the biggest and one of the most powerful predators under water.
In this campaign, we are offering high quality replicas of their teeth.
Our last campaign gave us an excellent opportunity to work with casting metal; more specifically with pewter. We are taking all that we learned and making new, bigger fossil replicas!
The pictures shown in our campaign are either simulations or prototypes. With your support, we will be able to redo our prototypes with better-quality materials so that our moulds and casts will have a higher degree of detail and a smoother finish that's true to life.
What we are offering in this campaign!
- T. rex tooth replica that comes with 4 types of surface finishes: standard (matte jet black or pre-primed for home-painting) and premium (painted fossil-look or graphite).
- Megalodon tooth replica in 4 types of surface finishes: standard (matte jet black or pre-primed for home-painting), graphite and our exclusive aged finish.
- Limited Edition experimental cast metal megalodon tooth in pewter with jet black root.
Bases vary depending on the model. See below for more details.
T.rex tooth options
Cast in a quality resin. Available in your choice of finish.
Megalodon tooth options
Our megalodon teeth replicas are cast in resin and come with either a concrete base, or for our premium teeth, a custom shadowbox for desk or wall display.
We also have the LIMITED EDITION Meg tooth in Cast Metal.
Aged finish Megalodon tooth
And finally, the big cheese of replicas: the cast metal meg tooth in pewter
About Megalodon's tooth
- Around 6" / 15 cm in length
- The creature's jaw was lined with rows of these gnarly teeth
- Since most of its body was made of cartilage, the teeth were one of the few fossils that were kept intact from this impressive beast, which have helped researchers identify the size and characteristics of this shark.
T. rex Tooth facts
- T.rex had over 60 bone crushing teeth reaching a height of up to 9".
- The tooth selected for this campaign was the equivalent of the canine, with sharp serration on the back of the tooth.
A closer look at our models
Where your funding will go
We're a small startup who is constantly working on new and better ways to make our products. The surplus funding from our last campaign enabled us to purchase some new items for our workshop. We're now able to make moulds and casts with better results and fewer defects and the whole process goes a lot more smoothly.
We've been so happy with the support we've received so far. Our backers have been amazing and we're so thankful to have this opportunity to build our small business and expand our line of beloved replicas. We hope you will love them too!
Thank you so much for your support!
-The folks at Jurassic Replicas
Support for free by spreading the word!
And we'll give you this amazing 3D printable file
Risks and challenges
One of the biggest risks that we've experienced in the past is currency fluctuations, which could affect the price of raw materials needed to build the project, as well as shipping costs.
In terms of the product itself, we are using the best materials for our casts. The models were sculpted in a very high level of detail using Z-brush, and subsequently 3D printed in high detail. Each print took over 3 days at the high detail settings we selected. The mould was then created using the finished printed parts. The combination of these techniques has allowed us to produce a detailed, high quality product that is affordable and poses little risk.
As for protecting the model being shipped from Canada abroad, we need to ensure we offer a smart packaging solution (with foam or bubble wrap) and a sufficiently strong box.
And as for the surface finish, a layer of protective film is added to ensure the paint does not come off. We recommend that you keep the replicas out of the reach of children, and to avoid excessive rubbing.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Environmental commitmentsVisit our Environmental Resources Center to learn how Kickstarter encourages sustainable practices.
- (21 days)