About this project
I am an artist seeking funds to carry out my upcoming exhibition of paintings: Sacred/Wild
What is Sacred/Wild?
Sacred/Wild is a series of large scale ink paintings on paper of wild animals in sacred, spiritual spaces. I will have an exhibition of these paintings in Paros, Greece in mid August of this year. Sacred/Wild has been a very interesting and exciting project to work on in that I am learning as I go about what I want to say about these pieces. We have our cultural as well as personal ideas of wild animals, whether they are wolves, chimpanzees, leopards…and we have other ideas regarding certain spaces, especially religious and sacred spaces. By connecting the two different worlds together one acts as a bridge between the two ideas, and in that way each interpretation can be very different depending on the viewer. I also would like the images to feel real--as if these animals were actually there in these spaces. Ultimately I want the animals to appear natural in these environments which they would otherwise never be associated with.
I work with ink because it is such a versatile medium. It can be very dark and bold on one hand and light and subtle on the other. Ink allows for very smooth transitions in tone which is very helpful when evoking light bouncing around a big Gothic cathedral. Also, when working with ink one has to learn to let go and let the ink move freely across the paper. The element of not being able to control the ink is something which I really enjoy, and leads to many beautiful marks I couldn't otherwise predict or plan.
Here are some images of the works:
detail of Chimapanzees
The Sacred/Wild exhibition will be my first show in three years. I will be putting up this exhibition on my own in an independent space in Paros, Greece. Because I will not be going through a gallery, the costs of setting up the exhibition itself will be carried solely by myself. My goal is that through the Kickstarter platform this fundraising project will allow me to to have the best show I could possibly have.
Your pledges will go to:
- Materials for making more and larger artwork to display
- Rent to pay for the space itself over the course of August, 2012
- Frames for the paintings as they are large scale works on paper
- The printing of an exhibition catalog collecting all the images.
- Promotion for the exhibition itself including postcards, flyers and posters
Rewards for your pledges:
In return for your pledges, there will be rewards based upon your contribution amount. Rewards will include:
- A mailed postcard print of one of my paintings
- A handpainted postcard in ink with a personal message handwritten on the back like this:
- A limited edition, signed, archival print of one of the images
- A print of the first sketch that triggered the idea for the series:
Deer in a Temple
- The full exhibition catalog featuring all of the images from the series Sacred/Wild
- A painting on rice paper in squid ink like this:
- Original preparatory sketches for works in the series like these:
Preparatory Sketch for "Wolves"
Detail of Preparatory Sketch for "Leopard"
Preparatory Sketch for "Wild Horses"
- A small, original ink and/or watercolor painting like these:
Sea after sunset
- A large, original ink and/or watercolor painting like these:
- A personalized original watercolor or ink painting for you
How Kickstarter works:
Through Kickstarter individuals are able to make pledges of any size through the Amazon.com account. Kickstarter is an all or nothing platform. This means if there are enough pledges to reach the goal then the funding will be a go and your pledge will be sent on the day of the project deadline. If there are not enough pledges then no money will be sent at all.
For more about me:
I am an artist currently living in Paros, Greece where I paint and teach painting and drawing at the Aegean Center for the Fine Arts.
Please contact me with any questions you may have and feel free to share this with anyone who might be interested in the project.
Thank you for looking at my project and for your support!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (31 days)