HERO – Pocket size personal emergency satellite beacon
Personal Emergency Beacon that works anywhere in the world.
HERO – Pocket size personal emergency satellite beacon
Personal Emergency Beacon that works anywhere in the world.
There's a ton of gear and gadgets out there, but not many can save your life. That's why we developed a pocket-size locator beacon that pinpoints your exact location (in case of emergencies, ie day hiking, skiing, boating and natural disasters etc.) anywhere on the planet.
Comparison of existing PLBs
HERO on land
A real emergency a few days ago, Hiker saved by Satellite emergency beacon
On 15 August 2019 at 1910 UTC (1510 EDT) an Emergency was detected 38 00.8N 107 41.0W, in the San Juan National Forest, CO. It was activated when a hiker fell 25 feet off a mountain cliff. The Air Force Rescue Coordination Centre received the alert and notified the Colorado Search and Rescue Board, which dispatched a ground team to the location that pulled the individual up and transported her to a hospital.
HERO in the air
A real emergency a few days ago, 2 passengers saved by Satellite emergency beacon
On 02 September 2019 at 0007 UTC (2007 EDT) an Emergency was detected at 61 10.9N 151 49.4W, 22 miles west of Beluga, AK. It was activated when an aircraft, with 2 people on board, crashed. The Alaska Rescue Coordination Center received the alert and launched a helicopter, which arrived on scene and transported both uninjured people to Wasilla Airport.
HERO on water
A real emergency a few days ago, 4 Lives + dog saved by Satellite emergency beacon
On 03 September 2019 at 0048 UTC (2048 EDT) an Emergency was detected by PLB at 43 53.0N 69 21.8W, 6 NM northeast of Yellow Head, ME. It was activated when the pleasure craft LASCA J, with 4 people and a dog on board, began taking on water. Coast Guard District 01 received the alert and contacted Coast Guard Sector Northern New England, which issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast. The Good Samaritan vessel NATALIE ROSE responded, arrived on scene, and transferred the boaters and dog to Friendship Town Dock. 4 SARSAT RESCUES
How HERO Works
Born out of a family emergency, HERO is the smallest, smartest, most affordable satellite personal emergency beacon in the world. It's innovative design is connected to a dedicated global satellite network (Cospas) for unparalleled security. When activated, HERO will contact search and rescue organisations, connected family members and more. Plus HERO's service are completely FREE to use and it works even without traditional cell or satellite phone reception.
HERO can be triggered automatically when needed, operates on land, sea and air, is waterproof and comes equipped with a 10-year battery life (no charging required)
We think you could use / need a HERO to keep you safe. This list is not complete just our family and friends around the world’s thoughts of what they would use HERO for: -
Solo travelling, Backpacking-gap year, hiking, boating-yacht or power, flying private and commercial, skiing off-piste, mountaineering, surfing, snowmobiles, lake ice-skating, horse riding, diving, orienteering, mountain biking, sand dune buggying, quad biking, deep sea fishing, off road motorbiking, kayaking, ice fishing, gliding, jet skiing, free rock climbing, white water rafting, free diving, bungee jumping, snowboarding, canyoneering, up river-salmon and fly fishing, parapenting, ski touring, water skiing, 4x4 desert touring, jungle adventuring, remote area farming, ice road trucking
A lot of recreational activities that have needed search and rescues are ones we don’t think are dangerous, for example Hiking, research has shown using the US National Parks service data (Link)in a ten year period (Link).46,609 people needed search and rescue aid. In one year alone 2014, 3409 people required search and rescue 42% of them being day hikers. Nearly 53% of all in park search and rescues are male between the ages of 20 and 29, mostly mountain, canyon and river related. 164 people lost their lives that year, 3% were tragically never found (LINK)
National Park Search & Rescue Data 2018
HERO Technical Features
- 406MHz Worldwide Multi Constellation Satellite and GPS technology | AIS 121.5MHz Homing Beacon | Easy NFC registration | Loud Audio Buzzer |Red , Green , Blue Status Leds | Transmits for more than 24 hours on distress call | Internal Antenna (patent pending) | 500 Lumen white LED strobe light |Small and lightweight 65g - 99mm X 33mm will fit in any pocket or life jacket/wet suit.
- Operating temperature range -55° to +70°C (-67°F to 185°F ) | 10-year battery life (No Charging required) | Buoyant, but also waterproof to a depth of 65m | Extremely durable 30 PSI rating
- Internal behaviour sensors with context aware Artificial Intelligence | Detects: impact and non-movement – fresh or salt water submersion | Easy one-handed activation | Remote activation up to 100 meters away | Pre activation alert | Aircraft carry-on safe | No subscription or registration fees | No Phone signal needed | No Phone needed
- Life Jacket / Bag attachment strap | Lanyard (Optional) | Wrist Strap (Optional)
World Map Showing Emergency Beacon Events
We design leading edge semiconductor technology for the world biggest companies. In our spare time we are a passionate team of adventurers, loving to travel off the beaten track. We have found, in life not everything goes to plan - it’s the unexpected events that can turn your world upside down in an instant. This can happen to anyone, what was an enjoyable day out can, turn in the blink of an eye, into a life-threatening situation. No matter the sport or hobby you enjoy they all come with risks. If you have no communication, you are on your own with little or no chance of rescue!
HERO is the difference. Making the Cospar-Sarsat lifesaving satellite system available to everyone. HERO’s unique distress alert is acted on within minutes, ensuring your family and emergency services know fast. We want to enable this life saving technology for everybody. It’s been saving lives for 30 years, and you may not have even heard of it. This is why we created HERO
The making of Hero
Missing planes have taken weeks, months even years to find, natural disasters like the tsunami's in Indonesia and Japan the earthquakes that occur around major fault lines in USA, Asia and New Zealand, you would think in these modern times technology should be able to find and save us. Even the weather turning from a bright sunny day to storm force winds and rain in minutes, this is what happened to us after a wedding lunch off the small island of Palmizano, Hvar Croatia on the 2nd July 2017, nearly a family ending event on a small power boat, that lost power when a storm blew up from nowhere. Luckily, we were rescued in the nick of time. This was the moment Hero was born. In 2018 we researched what technology was in use for SOS emergencies, looking at boat and plane transponders, which were huge in size and weight. I saw an advert whilst passing through an airport of a Swiss made emergency watch, it was small and compact but very expensive, that got me thinking of combining and miniaturising the technologies. Early this year we made the first prototype to prove a small a device would work. In May work really started on miniaturizing to handheld size and productionisation of the design, by mid August we had our first pre-production units.
Inspired by the latest MEOSAR upgrades to the Cospas-Sarsat Satellite system. We developed HERO, the smallest affordable, personal locator beacon in the world. We have incorporated the most miniaturized advanced satellite and smart technology available.
HERO can easily be used anywhere on the planet in all extreme environments – land, air or sea; in any life-threatening situations. With HERO anyone can go on amazing adventures without fearing the worst. HERO is ground breaking technology for today’s uncertain world of extreme weather, earthquakes and wild fires. Today, more than ever we all need HERO. NASA's Search and rescue live data from the US and Canada shows the SAR system working now today, and how many lives it is saving click this link for live data (Link)
HERO’s Advanced Technology
We have miniaturised with semiconductor technology the electronics of commercially available location Beacons. (Link). We have created through months of research an integrated antenna which we have Patented for its small lightweight compact design. We have reduced the production cost five-fold over much larger commercially available Personal Location Beacons (PLBs). HERO is smart, we have added a lot of internal sensors and Artificial intelligence, so HERO knows when you are in danger and can Automatically trigger an alert. We made a free smartphone app (Link) that allows you to easily register and configuration HERO. (Smartphone only required to register, not required for HERO operation). Saving hours of paperwork and complicated web site registrations.
HERO has the following unique SMART features (And why we added them) :-
1. Return Link Service. Lights Up a Blue led on HERO to acknowledge receipt of a distress call. (You know your message and location have been received and help is on its way)
2. Large SOS button, to manually trigger a distress signal one handed, instantly.
3. Automatic HERO Triggering (If enabled by free smartphone app)
- HERO has internal impact / fall sensor
- (Similar to a car air bag, HERO will trigger if configurable impact of > 2G is detected)
- In fresh water / sea water for more than 1 minute
- (If HERO is submerged continuously for 60 seconds, it will automatically trigger)
- Remote Bluetooth Trigger HERO via your free smartphone app.
- (Earthquake happens, you're trapped, left your HERO in the house somewhere, there’s no power, no phone signal. You have your smartphone, you can remote trigger HERO to send a distress signal to the Satellites, and transmit the AIS homing beacon, so SAR first responders can find you)
- HERO Blackbox. Records the events an hour before HERO was triggered.
(Using the free smartphone app you can replay the events leading up to HEROs trigger. This will show what happened, a fall, a submerge, a drop, an impact or a combination of the above)
About Automatic Triggering. HERO gives you 49 seconds to cancel an Automatic trigger, the Beeper and bright Strobe light sound and flash faster as the countdown reduces. You can cancel the distress call within the count down. Automatic triggering features can be individually enabled in the app with customised settings OR turn off Automatic triggering and use HERO in 100% manual mode, press the SOS button and the distress message is sent immediately.
4. HERO can be upgraded with new SMART features as they become available for FREE
(Using the free smartphone app you can update the firmware inside HERO, to add new features)
HERO Wants to Thank you
As a part of this campaign, if we reach our Stretch Goal of 10,000 HERO’s. We will:-
- Give away free 500 HERO’s to SAR first responders around the world, to keep them safe, for rescuing us anywhere in world. To raise awareness of Personal Location Beacons and their huge part in saving more lives.
- We will make the HERO Finder, a small hand held device that works with a smartphone, as the display, to locate and home in on the AIS 121Mhz signal from any activated HERO. This will help first responders to find you, under snow, flood, tornado and earthquake debris. Give 500 of these away to SAR first responders around the world. To help them find us quicker.
HERO is about bringing this space age technology into our hands, to create a safer world.
Please fund US every £1 counts. Let’s make the world a safer place together 😊.
Hero Invented by the Snell Family, Julien Snell (IEEE), Janine Snell (PR & Research), Jack Snell (Web), Harry Snell (Video + Images), Jessica Snell (Photography), Josh and Ollie for their support and enthusiasm and Henry the Dog. This year,we re-established "Infinite Media Dynamics Limited" a Snell family business : Julien, Janine, Chris, Jason, Harry, Jack, Nick, Lucas and Kay, to bring Hero to market.
Infinite Media Dynamics Limited Team. Aug 2019.
Risks and challenges
Our first production prototypes have to be approved:-
Cospas-Sarsat certification = £38,000
Plastic Moulding Tools = £18,000
We need to reach our funding goal of £56,000 to make HERO a reality.
The smartphone APP we have created for Android , needs to be ported to Apple IOS.
- (30 days)