- “Profoundly influential. A classic. A visually glorious, fun, sexy celebration” – Dr. Annie Sprinkle, sex activist
- “A Burning Man bible” – John ‘Halcyon’ Styn
- "Having watched Julian Cash at work, I remain baffled. Exactly how does he elicit these effects? The man is a magician." – Larry Harvey
- “Penetrates deep into the human psyche.” –Fakir Musafar, of Modern Primitive Movement
- “Delicious and nutritious”, “Extravagant fantasies” –Rob Brezsny, subculture author
- “World class” –Stewart Brand, Whole Earth Catalog founder
Get your own book
Do you want this book for your very own? The more the project funds, the more books we can print. Also, you get your name printed in the book, which is kinda cool. And you really will be making a huge difference.
A Burning Man bible
Whether or not you've ever been to that thing in the desert, this book is designed to be your counter culture spirit guide.
We spent about a decade documenting the people and culture of Burning Man. We got a grant from the Internet Archive to print the photos, and we hand bound them into books. Those 100 copies are long gone. Chances are that you will never acquire one. There were never enough to go around. So, here is your chance. Actually, here is our chance, as a community, because if we don't publish it now, we probably never will.
What do we do with the funding that's over 25k?
More books!!! More funding = we can print more books. You funding the project makes this happen (and gets you a book).
Also, getting the books to physically exist is just step one. Getting them distributed is a whole new challenge. The traditional approach to publishing didn't work for getting this book printed. We plan to also go renegade with how we spread the word about the book.
We hope to make hundreds of brightly colored burnerific unicorn hide bags. In each bag we put a Burning Man book. These get sent (or hand delivered by burners) to public libraries, the New Yorker, Lady Gaga, Johnny Depp, Henry Rollins, SF Weekly, Obama, Oprah, the Israeli and Palestinian governments, a protester in Egypt, a Halliburton executive, Google founders, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, the Misha Collins, Perry Farrell, and schools far and wide.
Many of the images celebrate joy and life. Others were created to confront social rules that need to be challenged. Many of the photographs grew from this simple conversation: “How do you want the world to be different?” which was followed with “Let’s create an image which will help bring forth that change.”
A book can not hope to fully satisfy the need to express what you feel passionate about, on this cultural canvas we call Burning Man. Nothing can do it justice - you really had to be there, and that is true of every year.
But I hope that we have done a reasonable job of documenting the amazing spirit of personal possibility; I hope we've been able to show the sharing of inspiration and how human connection is profound and how true liveliness can become a part of you, so that you carry it everywhere, a glowing ember in your heart. More than anything, I hope this book will spread that joy in places and hearts that cannot, for whatever reason, visit Black Rock City and play in its streets.
Thanks to the thousands of people who participated in being photographed, thanks to my wife Jackie Jack Cash, and thanks to my many campmates at SuperSnail camp and Bunny camp without whom, this project would not exist. And thank you for considering making this project into book form.
Currently the book is about 200 pages and includes many thousands of images. We will be doing an offset print run of several thousand copies of the book. By funding this project, you are helping us to create the world where a book like this can exist.
- Sample pages from the book
- The website for the book: www.ThePeopleOfBurningMan.com
- See the SMALL ART and LARGE ART funding tiers
- The Facebook group
- Credits for the kickstarter video: Sam Young animated the fantastic video. The Yard Dogs Road Show made the music in the video. Also Ron Halbert and 'Jackie Jack' Cash.
- For more photos, see Critical Tits and publicity images including a cover of Rolling Stone Italy.
- And once again, the website for the book: www.ThePeopleOfBurningMan.com
Project Location: Black Rock City, NV
- (58 days)