About this project
Broomstick Monkey Games brings you Imperial Harvest -- a 2-player pocket-game featuring characters from the world of Royal Strawberries. In Imperial Harvest, players construct a configurable board populated with hedges, moats, and hydras. Each player then chooses a team of three champions to raid (or protect) the imperial strawberry patch.
- "I fully endorse Imperial Harvest as a worthwhile investment in your microgame collection." - Daniel Zayas, The Meeple Mechanic
- "A nice little tactical strategy game with a quirky theme." - Jonathan Liu, GeekDad
- "I've enjoyed the game with my friends, with casual gamers, and also my daughter. [...] The game is just fun." - Lance Myxter, Undead Viking
- "Quick to play, fun to set up, and very satisfying, Imperial Harvest challenged, entertained, and rewarded all of our players. [...] Father Geek approved!" - Cyrus Kirby, Father Geek
- "Successfully implementing a tactical skirmish game is never an easy task, let alone one that is designed to be short, modular, portable, and scalable. Imperial Harvest delivers all of that handily." - Ryan LaFlamme, The Cardboard Republic
In the land of Feorhyrna, servants of the Imperial Court are tasked with the mission of harvesting magical Royal Strawberries from Emperor's private gardens. Upon arriving at the Imperial compound, however, the servants discover Raiders from the North climbing the walls, intending to harvest the fabled fruit for themselves...
Read more about the lore of Feorhyrna at broomstickmonkey.com.
In Imperial Harvest, players take control of two opposing teams racing to collect the greatest number of Royal Strawberries. To be successful, each player must master the powers of their respective characters in order to quickly navigate the Imperial Gardens, evade enemy attacks, and collect the majority of the realm's mysterious, magical fruit.
- Two-sided character cards with 'Basic' and 'Advanced' versions of game play.
- Double-sided modular board for unlimited replayability!
- Multiple copies can be combined for 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 games. See how the game changes when playing with expanded maps and additional teammates!
- Discounts: 25% discount from MSRP!
- Exclusive Content: Deluxe pledge level includes Kickstarter exclusive 'Merchants and Magic' expansion and wood character tokens (not available in retail version).
- Stretch Goals: Opportunity for some incredible stretch goals (including additional Kickstarter exclusives for both BASIC and DELUXE backers!)
- Value: We have passed on as much savings as possible to our backers in order to provide a great game for a reasonable price!
Father Geek: (Paid Review)
- Father Geek Approved! "The Father Geek Seal of Approval is the highest ranking available to any game or product we review. It meets the requirements and approval of all three testing groups: Child, Parent, and Gamer Geeks (where applicable). These are true gems and are worth taking a look at, in our opinion."
- Final Thoughts: "Quick to play, fun to set up, and very satisfying, Imperial Harvest challenged, entertained, and rewarded all of our players. Each game was fun to watch and to talk about long after it was done. Do sit down and play this strawberry raiding game when you have a chance. I think you’ll find it to be a berry good game, indeed."
Meeple Mechanic: (Independent Review) Overall rating: 9/10
- First Impressions? "It feels like a chess game when I get right down to it. Only instead of cornering the king you are sending pawns to slaughter so that your bard can swoop in and grab one of the last remaining strawberries. [...It] felt light, it moved fast [...] and there were plenty of tense [moments] outmaneuvering the other player to allow me to have a good time. Imperial Harvest is one of the better prototypes I've received and I will be happy to bring it out to play in the future."
- Final Thoughts: "I fully endorse Imperial Harvest as a worthwhile investment in your microgame collection."
Bower's Game Corner: (Kickstarter Video Preview) BGG rating: 7/10
- How easy is it to learn and/or teach to others? "This is a very, very simple game to learn and to teach. [...] Very, very, nicely done rulebook. [...] The player aid card is extremely useful. This will really help you out in just about every situation. It's double-sided, and it just has just about all the information you could possibly use."
- Final Thoughts: "If you like asymmetrical powers, this one might be for you. [...] The line-of-sight, and the grappling, and being able to chop down the hedges, and grow hedges...it really does add unique twists to each side. [...] If you are in the market for a very, very simple game to learn and to teach, but that still has a little bit of a bite to it, this one might be for you. And if you like modular boards—look no further! [...] Each game is going to be unique and different..."
GeekDad: (Kickstarter Preview)
- Final Thoughts: "...a nice little tactical strategy game with a quirky theme.[...] Imperial Harvest will appeal to those who want a strategic challenge, but not necessarily those who want a bit of luck and randomness."
Undead Viking: (Paid Video Review)
- First impressions? "The game is a lot of fun. Simple to teach, but constantly challenging. [...] I've enjoyed the game a lot. I've enjoyed the game with my friends [...] with casual gamers and also my daughter. [...] The game is just fun. The tactics of the game, for as simple as it is to teach, are very, very deep."
- Final thoughts: "I really recommend Imperial Harvest, particularly to people that enjoy a tactical game, [people that] enjoy games with variable powers. [...] a simple but deep game."
The Cardboard Republic: (Independent Review)
- Final Thoughts: "For operating with all of a 20-30 minute play window, Imperial Harvest packs a lot into its small box. [...] Hiding behind a peculiar theme full of wonderberries and the people who desire them lies a solid small-scale strategy game that delivers a quick experience with a fair amount of decision-making. The mechanics are both intuitive and simple to teach, and before long players are navigating hedges, dodging hydras, and scooping up as much magically delicious fruit as they can."
We're working with Dave Howell, the creator of PennyGems, to create some truly fabulous add-ons for Imperial Harvest. PennyGems are "dazzlingly shiny, feel solid yet sensual to the touch, are very easy to pick up off a table (because of their raised edges), are non-skid, stack surprisingly well, have a nice weight to them, and are incredibly durable." We'll be producing these in a large enough batch that Dave has given us a solid discount on the final product, allowing us to sell a sheet of 80 labels (20 strawberry tokens and 20 victory points tokens) for just $15 as an add-on.
For an in-depth explanation of what the tokens are and how they work, check out the video from Dave's first PennyGem campaign.
Timely & Fair: We believe we have found shipping options that are beneficial for both domestic and international backers. We have listed the additional amount of shipping underneath each post so that backers will know up-front how much they are paying. These amounts represent a discount from what we are actually paying for all locations, but we wanted to pass on as much savings as we can handle to our backers.
Multiple Copy Discounts: The size of our game allows us to ship two games in one flat rate box for most locations, which is the reason why shipping has even larger discounts for multiple game levels (we are passing on 100% of the shipping savings).
Customs: International shipping is a complex and complicated issue that has been the demise of several project creators. Because our game has such a low declaration value, it is likely international backers will face minimal import and customs fees. With an expected MSRP of $20 and $30, international backers are effectively paying $7 for shipping the basic game and $4 for shipping the deluxe game...
Single Basic (MSRP $20) --> $15 game + $12 shipping = $7 above retail
Single Deluxe (MSRP $30) --> $22 game + $12 shipping = $4 above retail
On the other hand, international backers at the double basic and double deluxe levels are paying equal to or less than retail...
Double Basic (MSRP $40) --> $29 games + $12 shipping = $1 above retail
Double Deluxe (MSRP $60) --> $39 games + $18 shipping = $3 below retail
*Kickstarter Limited Exclusivity:
"Exclusive" content will not be available through regular distribution. However, it will be available in limited supply at conventions, through contests, at our online web store, and online at the BGG Promo Store.
Risks and challenges
There are always risks and challenges when publishing a board game. As a company, we have collectively backed over 100 projects on Kickstarter, most of which have been games. We have been fortunate enough to watch and learn from many successful publishing campaigns, including some that have faced long delays in fulfilling their shipments or that (sadly) failed to deliver. Although this is the first game our company is publishing, we have done our research and are confident that we have mitigated most challenges faced by game publishing companies (be they new or established).
ARTWORK & GRAPHIC DESIGN: We knew the art and graphic design would be a time consuming process and decided that we wanted to have it complete before our campaign in order to avoid delays in sending the game to the printer. We have already obtained the art and graphic design for the game (minus any backer-inspired artwork). Audrey Fry has done an incredible job creating the illustrations for the game and is on stand-by waiting to do any additional work for the project (http://audreyfry.blogspot.com/). Nick Hayes has likewise completed the graphic design for the entire game and its components. Nick is a game designer in his own right (best known for his popular Chunky Fighters dice game), and is responsible for the graphic design of a host of other board games. You can see a list of his current projects here (http://tinyurl.com/ptzcnfs), his full list of game designs here (http://tinyurl.com/ot4qhg2), and his professional portfolio at http://nickhayes.carbonmade.com.
MANUFACTURING: We have received quotes from several game manufacturers and have decided to work with Whatz Games to manufacture Imperial Harvest (http://www.whatzgames.com/). Whatz Games has a great reputation and has successfully completed dozens of projects for other game companies, including IELLO's Biblios and King of Tokyo, and Paizo Publishing's Kill Doctor Lucky. We feel confident with our quotes and have ensured that all is in place to give Whatz Games the green light once the Kickstarter has successfully funded.
SHIPPING & FULFILLMENT: We have carefully planned out our post-manufacturing distribution and shipping process to ensure that everyone receives their game in a timely manner. We have analyzed multiple fulfillment options and are ready to implement the one that will ensure everyone receives their games in a timely manner.
While our shipping estimates are just that (estimates), we've done our due diligence; we know the approximate weight of our finished game, and we've designed the Imperial Harvest game box specifically so that it will maximize shipping effectiveness. Likewise, because the game is so small (and inexpensive), international backers are less likely to pay VAT and other customs fees that frequently come up during Kickstarter campaigns. We can't promise you'll avoid those fees entirely, but we've done our best to minimize potential fees. Likewise, if our campaign reaches certain stretch goals, we'll use some of that money to hire an international fulfillment company, thereby eliminating VAT and other fees entirely.
We have allowed for significant additional time for manufacturing and fulfillment. Our manufacturer has given us a time frame of 4-5 months before the games will be in the US and ready to ship out. We have given ourselves a few additional months for any unexpected delays, and we are confident the games will be delivered to all backers before Christmas of 2015.
We appreciate your support and hope that this is a great experience for our backers and our business. If you have any additional concerns about the project, please feel free to contact us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)