New project video and lots of prototype progress
Today was incredibly exciting for me. We've jumped from about 5% this morning all the way to nearly 40% of the goal due to all the new pledges! Thank you all so very much. It's tremendously encouraging to see all the support you have given so early on in the life of the Kickstarter page. As of this moment, we're at $3,961 with still 27 days to go.
The Keyglove project made it onto the front page of Engadget yesterday at about 9:45pm EDT, and that created a huge influx of visitors to the Kickstarter page and the project's main website. I don't know how many people came to the Kickstarter page, but my website analytics tool shows that the keyglove.net site got about 2,000 views over the last 36 hours. (Note, an average day is about 30 views.) This has been incredibly helpful for sharing, and it's been all over Facebook and Twitter as a result.
Also as a result of the Engadget appearance, I got a chance to read and respond to a lot of feedback. One of the main things that I discovered is that--big surprise--people were hoping to see the Keyglove in action a lot more in the video. The video I have (had) up for the main introduction is boring. One of my very talented filmmaker friends told me so outright, and I'm glad that he did. It WAS boring. Videos don't come naturally to me, but I figured I could do better if I tried.
So, I spent quite a bit of time today making improvements and fixes to the Keyglove prototype to the point where I could use it impressively (I hope) in a video, and then I completely re-recorded the intro and replaced the old one. Please do come back to the project page and take a look at it. If you were interested enough to become a backer, I can guarantee you'll like the new video much better. It's a little bit shorter, the audio is way better, and the content is more concise and has a lot more demonstration.
As for progress on the actual Keyglove, the new video was a catalyst for me over the last 12 hours. I was able to push through some of the tedious stuff that I had been holding back on for a while, and I now have a Keyglove that is almost completely built except for wireless connectivity (I'm still waiting for a custom prototype breakout board for the Bluetooth module to arrive). I transferred the important prototype components from the big breadboard to a smaller breadboard--the one seen in the picture along with this update--and I got it mounted on the back of the glove, where it's supposed to be. This means the whole device is now completely self-contained, except for the USB cable currently required for testing. It's certainly much bigger and more unwieldy than I hope for a retail product to be, but it's vastly superior to anything else I've created so far.
My focus now will be on improving the controller software for smoother, more intuitive mouse movement, as well as practicing more typing and testing the touch sensor behavior. The small wire loops I'm using were relatively easy to attach, and they are less error-prone than anything else I've tried so far, so I'm very hopeful.
More updates will come before too long. Thanks again for all your support, and keep sharing the project with friends and family!