The Fidj combines a sleek gadget with an incredible app, transforming any phone into the ultimate spinning machine. Sync to Hue Lights, bluetooth speakers and more for the ultimate room scale light show. Stick, Flip, and Make it Spin!
The Two Halves of The Fidj
1. The Fidj Gadget: A highly-refined, restickable disk that was solely designed for the ultimate spinning ability. The finished product is a patented, low-friction disk refined for spinning for minutes at a time. Stick it on any phone or case and let the fun begin!
2. It' All About Dat App: Perhaps most important to the Fidj vision is the app: It’s a dance party in your pocket, an art creation tool, a hypnotic conversation starter, an anxiety fighter, a multiplayer game machine, and it even syncs to smart devices for room-scale interactivity!
The Fidj Gadget: The Ultimate Spin
The Fidj App: Where things Get Interesting
The app, which is included free with every Fidj, converts your phone into a mind-blowing spinning device and a playground of interactivity.
Features You'll Get:
People can’t help but be drawn to what appears to be a spinning disk of light flashing perfectly to the beat. Watch as they can’t help but dance.
Your fingertip becomes the paintbrush while colors swirl and change with each tap and stroke. Take turns adding strokes to the canvas!
Mesmerize with psychedelic spiral artwork, bringing some legit oohs and ahhs from the crowd. Eyes will beam with excitement as they tap to cycle the designs.
Your phone emulates real-world, physical objects with audio effects and haptic feedback vibrations. This one is specifically designed to enhance fidgeting — our favorite being the crank sound that emulates a real, ratchet-like sound and clicky vibrations. Bleeps and bloops round out the package with retro-inspired sounds that change on each tap and shift of your phone.
Smart Device Integration
And that’s just the start of our plans for the app. This ultimate vision of the app will augment your entire room. Picture these upcoming app features:
- Sync with smart devices like Philips Hue lights: spin, and room colors will swirl in time to the rotation of the phone!
- The more people that spin, the brighter lights will get!
- Sync to bluetooth speakers to enable record scratches, bass beats, and other interactive sounds. This means real-time music creation, DJ spinning, and sound-based party games.
- Play games, mix music as a group and pulse the room’s lighting/audio based on user interactions.
Due to the incredible news that we were funded in UNDER 7 DAYS (!!!) it's time to unveil our stretch goals! We will be locking in this features for ALL BACKERS based on the tier system outlined below for the amount of funding received. We focused on features that bring you closer together (sometimes literally) as well as the multiplayer potential contained in your Fidj! Check them out below:
A Proven Tool for Wellness
For Anxiety and A.D.D. Additional feedback from the Fidj test group confirms a reduction in nervous energy, increased clarity of thought, and found that spinning phones with the Fidj is habit forming in the best of ways. Add the Fidj app, which is also designed to benefit those with anxiety, A.D.D., and sensory issues, and what you have is therapy in sa pocket.
For Autism: There may also be significant benefits for individuals with autism. Teachers, parents, and autism professionals agree that autistic children are drawn to spinning objects and find relief through spinning. The Fidj, paired with an app specifically designed for this audience, provides a robust reward system that can be easily integrated into their education and habits. “Stimming”, a common yet controversial behavior, can now combine the physical act of spinning with the engaging and beneficial activities presented by the Fidj app.
To this effect, we will be creating a separate app specifically for children with autism, and will work alongside experts to ensure that it is a positive experience that will implement perfectly into their educational and daily lives.
How the Fidj Came to Be
Inspiration for the Fidj came while Josh Sears — inventor of the Fidj — was waiting for a friend at a local coffee shop. Finding himself haphazardly spinning his Fidj-less phone while trying his best to mask a bit of social anxiety, he noticed a few others fidgeting in the exact same way. Thus the seed of the Fidj took root: A discreet fidget device (your phone!) that you can take anywhere, with true benefits to ease anxiety.
But a spinning phone, though cool in its own right, wasn’t quite enough —and the time of Fidget Spinners has come and gone. There needed to be more. A few hurdles jumped, a patent registered, and months later, the updated concept of the Fidj was born: A truly interactive, augmented-reality gadget that blends the real world with the virtual. It eases anxiety. It helps you contemplate your next idea. It augments your phone with amazing audio/visuals, games etc., and it just might help you break the ice when meeting new friends.
This is what the Fidj is all about, and we need your help to make it a reality. Let’s break it down a bit:
- Compatible with all phones and cases. Simply stick, flip, and make it spin!
- Engineered with the highest quality materials and designed for low friction, high-speed spinning for minutes at a time!
- The Fidj doesn’t need to be perfectly centered to work. The size and depth was crucial for this, and you can simply stick it near the center of the back of your phone without the fuss. Physics will handle the rest!
- Compatible with PopSockets.
- Raises phone above surface so there are no scratches on the surface OR your phone/case.
- Can be applied, and re-applied via the super-sticky yet reusable adhesive. If it loses it’s sticking power, simply wash off the adhesive gel pad to restore max-sticky!
- The Fidj gadget is a 2” cone-shaped disk engineered for nearly zero friction and effortless spin. In fact, it spins effortlessly for over 2 minutes straight!
- Nearly unnoticeable in your pocket due to ultra-slim profile.
- Co-developed with prominent toy industry veterans, designers, and engineers.
- Includes a free, mind-blowing app that transforms your phone into a dance machine, art creator, gaming device and more.
- Will ultimately sync with smart devices to enable room scale fidgeting and interactions!
- Made with non-toxic, ultra high-quality plastics and recyclable materials. It’s also scratch proof!
- This first batch comes in fluorescent pink and blue (We’ve got final samples. They look soooo good.), but eventually we’ll have a Fidj for every style, mood, and brand.
- Perfect for all ages.
- Keep kids (and adults) mesmerized.
- Fidget discreetly in public without the need of a silly toy.
- The Fidj is always with you!
- Instant conversation starter.
- Play group-based games, create joint artwork, and start a legit dance party by syncing the app to the beat of your favorite tracks!
- We’ve already vetted and secured a trusted manufacturer. This means the Fidj will be in your hands FAST.
- Eases nerves and has legitimate benefits for those with anxiety issues, A.D.D., and other hangups.
- A truly special tool for parents and teachers of children with autism.
- The app is and always will be free. Better yet, it will continue to grow with incredible new features.
- Fast shipping! Rest easy in knowing that you’re Fidj will be in your hands in weeks, not months.
The Evolution of the Fidj:
The idea is born: The first iteration of the Fidj was actually a coupon for a burrito 🌯 🤷🏽♂️ After inspiration for the Fidj took root, Josh, the Fidj inventor, wanted an immediate proof of concept, so he cut out the coupon, did some folding magic, and taped it to his phone. It was shoddy, but...
The phone spun. Sure, not nearly at the speeds we'd eventually reach, but hey one burrito sacrificed, and boom, proof of concept.
Making the Fidj a reality: Envoi has been developing toy-based products for decades with clients like Mattel, Nerf, K’nex, and other heavy hitters. Being a Cincinnati neighbor, Josh knew they were the right partner. Long story short, Envoi’s team of 3D designers refined the Fidj to capture the perfect balance of ultimate spin with a slim profile.
While Envoi finished up the product development, our visual designers tackled the branding, packaging, and other design elements. The complete Fidj vision was coming together.
Securing a trusted manufacturer: Our manufacturer is responsible for delivering some of the most popular toys in the world, and they’ve already provided us with a sample product in some of the smoothest, highest quality plastics we’ve ever laid hands on. They’re as professional and trustworthy as they come, and they’re now standing-by for mass production.
The last yet equally important step — The Fidj App: Josh Sears, the Fidj inventor, is the owner of PaperTelevision LLC, an Ohio-based design and development studio that’s been around since 2008. Though his focus is now solely on the Fidj, he will utilize his connections to a reliable team of developers, who have already created the base app serving as the foundation for future features.
The Fidj Team and Partners:
Josh Sears: Inventor, Designer + Founder of the Fidj. Cincinnati, OH. Josh has over a decade of experience in launching sustainable businesses for clients of all sizes—from small start-ups, to multi-billion dollar industry giants. With a history of launching successful products, he is laser-eye focused on getting the Fidj on everyone’s phone.
Steve Weinstein: Owner and Creative Director at Envoi Design. Cincinnati, OH. Steve has over 20 years experience as a Design Manager specializing in toys, non-profit, and government projects. He is a highly regarded consultant in all areas of Brand Strategy, Product Design, Photography, Animation, and Post Production. Steve's team is responsible for rendering the Fidj itself, consulting on various design elements, and more.
Joe Smith: Chief Development Officer at K'NEX Brands L.P. Philadelphia, PA. Joe brings an unrivaled amount of experience in the toy industry and serves as a valuable partner and advisor to the Fidj team. He has also been critical in securing a trusted manufacturer for the Fidj. Note: The Fidj is in no way related to or affiliated with K’nex toys.
Matt Sears: CEO and owner of Littlelines LLC. Seattle, WA. Matt’s career spans nearly 20 years of developing complex, large-scale web applications. Matt is a valuable partner and software consultant who will ensure that the Fidj app is the best it can possibly be.
Unlike many campaigns, we wanted to ensure that you get your Fidj product as soon as possible. To that effect, we’ve already completed a huge chunk of the work and will deliver your Fidj in SEPTEMBER 2018. YOU are the final piece of the puzzle that will make the Fidj a reality.
Let's Make it Happen
We need your help! We’ve done the homework, and we have everything in place to make the Fidj a reality. Our developers and manufacturers only need the go-ahead, and production will begin in earnest. We are dead set in defying any fears of funding here on Kickstarter and ensure you that your order will arrive fast and exactly as expected. No shortcuts or gotchas, just one insanely creative gadget + app experience.
We're only missing one part of the team, and that's YOU! Join us in bringing the Fidj to the market for for the true benefits, for the wellness of others, but mainly for the addictive fun!
Risks and challenges
The main risk with any product like the Fidj is primarily manufacturing. Even some of the most successfully funded campaigns have come screeching to a halt due to untrustworthy and/or unreliable manufacturers. For us, it's not a problem.
We've already circumvented this issue by securing a highly-vetted and long-standing manufacturer. It is the same manufacturer who creates trusted toy products for decades, including giants like K'nex toys. This relationship has already been established, and they are ready to roll with production as soon as we secure funding.
The other challenge in developing a new product is of course marketing to ensure it gets the attention and lifespan it deserves. Our founder and inventor of the Fidj, Josh Sears, has a proven track record for product development. In fact, his first product was created with an investment of merely $600, and through his endeavors has since become 6-figure business. Josh has combined forces with a local toy company, alongside other reputable partners to ensure the Fidj is an epic success that will continue to grow.
The final challenge is the app. In addition to his experience with product development, founder Josh Sears currently owns a design and development studio, PaperTelevision LLC. filled with amazing developers that have delivered countless projects. In short, the app will be ready, and it will be ready to grow, adding new features as the Fidj grows in popularity. We've even built the first version, which will be ready at launch alongside the Fidj!
It really is as transparent as that: We have done our homework. We are ready to roll.
Or spin. Either way, let's do this!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)