Tactical Interface Tech Demo
Given that we're about to hit twice the goal, I figured I really needed to push another tech demo out!
"Tactical Interface" Tech Demo
Over the weekend I worked a bit on an idea that I had related to fleet command. The "tactical interface" that's demonstrated in this video is a pretty neat and painless way of issuing orders when you're right there, in combat with your fleet. The main feature that makes this interface so intuitive is the ability to select in-game entities by simply clicking on them directly. A second nice feature is the radial menu that pops up when you right-click an entity, which makes it very easy to, for example, tell certain members of your fleet to attack, follow, move to, scan, or dock with a certain entity. Please note that this interface is really only intended for situations in which you are in close proximity to your fleet. There will be a different interface for managing fleets that are far away (more like a traditional, top-down RTS interface).
As always, watch it in HD to justify the two hours it took to upload ;)
Some Notes About the Demo
- Although I didn't show it, you can, alternatively, select units by clicking on their name under the "Pilots" list. This makes it easy to give commands even if you can't see the unit on screen.
- In the future, you'll be able to select multiple units and issue commands to them all at once. Furthermore, you'll be able to drag selection boxes in order to quickly select a group of ships.
- You'll also be able to assign numeric groups to specific subsets of the fleet, and select them using standard RTS-style numeric hotkeys.
- There will be lots more information on the tactical interface! Right now, it's pretty barren...but the general concept is that it is intended to give you an at-a-glance overview of the system, surrounding entities, and your assets.
- It features some new music composed over the weekend. Unfortunately, this track didn't turn out that great in my opinion, so it may not make the cut for the game.
- I know you're all tired of fog by now. There won't be that much in the game, I promise. Sorry!
"No more badges, Josh! Please!!! Anything but more badges!!! Will it ever end!?!" No. No, it won't.
Thank you all for tuning in, and I look forward to surpassing the Mac/Linux stretch goal!!!