Summoner's Grimoire is the best kept secret of the occult world. It was mentioned in the Necronomicon, the Book of Enoch, and the Dead Sea Scrolls (all of whom gave it five stars). HP Lovecraft allegedly played Summoner's Grimoire with his 2-6 closest tentac-err... friends.
Summoner's Grimiore is actually two related board games. In the Basic Mode, players roll dice to maneuver two Avatars across The Cosmos (actually, a game board) with the intent to occupy the opposite Temple. It's a lot more complicated than it sounds, because other players can Banish your pieces to Purgatory by landing on them. This mechanic is simple and fast to play, but requires a curiously high amount of strategy. Basic Mode games are pretty quick, and a player can sit down and play in a couple of minutes.
The Advanced Mode adds some extra mechanics and strategic details. While movement of Avatars is decreased to 1 Domain per Avatar per turn, there are now new Patron and Incantation cards that give you special powers. These powers consume Manna, awarded at the beginning of each turn. Each Patron also has an Attack and Defense, which are used to determine the outcome of combat between Avatars on the board.
- $5 - Wallpaper Pack: Probably 3-5 wallpapers, though in our last game we ended up doing eight. There are 10 Patrons, so that might be a good number. But at least 3. We swear. Blood oath.
- $10 - Basic Download & Print: The Basic Game mode delivered via the etheric plane, in PDF format, for you to print and enjoy. (Does not include Advanced Mode or any digital dice).
- $15 - Advanced Download & Print: All game modes in a PDF delivered by Nightgaunt, directly to your computer. Cut out your cards, and get right to summoning.
- $40 - Retail Boxed Set: Game Board, Incantations, Manna tokens, Patrons, and Rules Cards. You need nothing else...
- $50 - Special Edition Boxed Set (SOLD OUT): ...But you might want something extra. A box for the cards, and a huge, universe-spanning quad-fold game board.
- $60 - Special Edition Boxed Set (Late Arrival): We priced the $50 Special Edition low, and now we're out of them. But here's a Special Edition Boxed Set for just a little more, for those who missed the boat.
- $100 - Transcendent Edition: So maybe you want to play with huge Avatars, on a massive board, with five other players, for a long, long time. This will get you there. Includes 6 dice for each player.
- +$10 - Ars Regulis Addon: Optional rule cards for all three Game Modes. (Add $10 to your pledge, and we'll double-check with a Survey when we collect shipping info)
- +$5 - Dreamlands Mat: A 10x10" cardstock mat with the Dreamlands map on it.
- +$15 - Dreamlands Board: An 18x18" 4-fold board with the Dreamlands map on it.
What Makes Summoner's Grimoire Different, you may ask? Different from what, all the massive collection of spiritually-oriented occult board games with fancy runes and tenebrous hand-painted art that are not ouija boards? In that category, we excel at... texture... and typography. Also, our rules fit on one card per game mode.
One of the things we wanted to do with SG is to create an enjoyable and visually impressive board game that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Considering that we ended up pricing our Special Edition at $Firstborn, we decided to help make the game accessible to everyone by doing a Downloadable version of the Basic Game Mode. But we would like that firstborn, if you can spare them.
Funding and Scale
Summoner's Grimoire is a small Kickstarter project. We'd have liked to go smaller, to be honest, but we need to actually be able to fund the creation of the art and the finalization of the design, which is what the funding that doesn't go to the manufacturing will go towards. We'd love to see the project take off, but we're scoped to finish what we've started. We've placed our Stretch Goals high to make sure we can get the basic game nicely polished before taking on more content.
We'll be unveiling the next Stretch Goal as we reach this one.
- REACHED - $1000 - Summoner's Grimoire: The base game, in all it's various incarnations, images, and projections, packed into one dangerous box.
- REACHED - $2000 - Horrors from Beyond: A pack of Lovecraftian Patrons and their tokens. New Patrons, such as Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Shub-Niggurath, and Azathoth. New incantations based on the Mythos, too!
- REACHED - $3000 - The Holy War: A brand new game mode, where players battle (other) monsters and collect Manna to win the game.
- REACHED - $4000 - Ars Regulis: We now have the funding to unlock an addon of special Optional Rules for Basic Mode, Advanced Mode, and The Holy War! Add $10 to your pledge for the extra pack!
- REACHED - $5000 - The Dreamlands: We'll add a brand-new Cthulhu-mythos-inspired game board, to bring some more complexity and chaos to your gaming experience! (Everyone will receive a Print&Play version, and there will be 2 Addon levels for a small game mat and a large game board.)
- REACHED - $7000 - Raising R'lyeh: ANOTHER new game mode, this time as a download. Players select secret characters and aim to occupy Domains specified by their character, so that they can further their plans to raise and pilfer R'lyeh.
- REACHED - $10,000 - Apocalypse: This is the End Time. Your Patron's faction must invade the Dreamlands, destroy the others, and control the Dreaming Dead Gate, where it will take over the cosmos. (The game mode to end all game modes.)
The World Beyond The End
Kickstarter acts as a great place to discover things, even after campaigns are over. For that reason, we're adding a link to our official website, so you can get the game even after the Kickstarter is over.
Risks and challenges
Some creators have trouble making their deadlines or delivering on promises. We avoid that by using Trello, a task management app that lets you check on our progress. There's a link to our task list at the top of the page.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)