We are very excited to announce we are ready to ship Jorno to our backers!
We’ve been working relentlessly on improving and testing Jorno’s design—3 extended visits to Shenzhen, multiple revised prototypes, and thousands of hours of quality assurance testing—all leading up to a product that we can be very proud of.
The first production run is now complete, with product delivered to our California warehouse last week. There are details below about shipping Jorno to our backers.
Jorno’s improved, more robust design
We are pleased to unveil the final, production design! As noted in previous updates, we have been working tirelessly toward finding the very best design for Jorno—now a more modern, stronger product than previously imagined.
Jorno in Black:
Jorno in White:
There are a number of improvements that we made over the course of the last few prototype rounds:
- Thinner. We were able to streamline the overall PCBA space requirements for a much slimmer unit.
- Stronger. There are now more metal parts, and a much improved hinge design.
- Ergonomic key size. Key caps are now nearly full size, offering a more ergonomic typing experience.
- Larger cradle (with protective case). The larger cradle better accommodates large phones and tablets. We loved the old design, but due to the high value of phones and tablets, we opted for a more pragmatic, larger design. It was too easy for a tablet to fall off the old design. The cradle also converts to a protective case by folding up to wrap around the keyboard.
- Folded: 5.77 x 3.53 x 0.67 in (146.5 x 89.6 x 16.9 mm)
- Unfolded: 9.91 x 3.53 x 0.26 in (251.7 x 89.6 x 6.6 mm)
- 6.51 oz (184.5 g)
- Rigid protective case/stand (included)
- Rechargeable lithium ion
- Uninterrupted work 85 hours (continuous typing)
- Standby 220 days
- Micro USB charging cable (included)
- Bluetooth 3.0 (backward and forward compatible)
- Operating distance 32 ft (10 m)
- Power on LED (green)
- Pairing LED (blue)
- Low battery LED (red)
- Apple iOS (iPhone 3GS and newer, all models of iPad, iPod Touch 3rd generation and newer); Android 2.1 and newer (including all Samsung Galaxy Series, Motorola Droid series, Kindle Fire HD, etc.); Windows, Mac, and Linux based tablets; PCs, laptops, and netbooks; Blackberry OS 10 and newer; Play Station 3; WebOS 2.0 and newer; Symbian 1.0 and newer; all HID (Human Interface Device) Bluetooth devices.
The following photos comparing the old prototype (shown in black) to the new design (shown in silver).
First production run complete
We are now in the early stages of mass manufacturing. We spent a lot of time at the factory testing for any potential design issues. One crucial diagnostic was a “swing test” (open and close the unit 30,000 times) to prove the reliability of the hinges—see video below that shows this hinge test.
Here are a couple other photos from the factory, including the production team with our advisor Andy Tung (center of photo).
Ready to ship Jorno to you
The first batch of units just arrived at our California warehouse (see above photo). We will be sending a notification from the Kickstarter site to collect your updated shipping address.
This first batch of units is QWERTY only, available in Black or White. We apologize that we could not produce any of the other colors or keyboard layouts from the original campaign, and for now we have no plans to offer those alternate colors and layouts. Unfortunately it proved too difficult an undertaking to produce a range of colors and layouts in our first production run.
If you ordered an alternate color, we can offer you your choice of either Black or White. If we ever produce these alternate colors in the future, we will send you that color unit free of charge.
If you ordered alternate key layouts, we will ship you a QWERTY keyboard. If we ever produce these alternate layouts in the future, we will send you that keyboard layout free of charge.
As always, thank you for your support! And thank you for going on this journey with us. We are so excited to get Jorno to you soon!