Gobble, Gobble & Welcome!
REWARD UPDATE: Now included in the $20 reward is a free copy of ThanksKilling! That's two movies (domestic shipping included) for $20 + you get the swag pack and turkey bashing as well. Backers who have already pledged $20 or more also get the free DVD. Artwork, special features, and exact date of shipping TBD. Thanks!!!
Who are we?
Hey everyone! We're Jordan Downey & Kevin Stewart. Old pals and collaborators. Jordan directs, Kevin shoots, and we both write together. As 20 year old college students in 2007, we set out to make the best damn "so bad it's good" cult movie... It's called ThanksKilling. We're here now to raise funds for an ambitious follow up, but this time around - we're dropping the "so bad it's good" and replacing it with "f'ing awesome"! Our intentions? Evil Dead 2 meets Labyrinth meets South Park! Do we sound crazy yet? Enjoy the page!
What is ThanksKilling?
A low-budget comedy/ horror flick about a killer turkey (cleverly named Turkie) who kills college dorks pun-by-pun during Thanksgiving break. Kevin and I shot it 4 years ago for a cost of merely $3,500. It's now one of the more popular genre movies on Netflix with 121,000+ ratings. Oh, and the tagline... Gobble, Gobble, Motherfu#%er!
Hip hop artist Kajmir Royale created the original ThanksKilling theme song:
Thanks to a fan who edited this, here's a clip of some the funniest scenes:
For more in-depth info on the movie and our story, check out:
Our rule with the first ThanksKilling? Comedy 1st, Horror 2nd. Same rule applies here, only amplified. We've planned an ambitious ThanksKilling Sequel with the same sense of humor on a larger scale! The plot is hush hush, but here's what to expect:
- GOOD OLE' COMEDY. And not because of a bad camera angle, horrid editing, or poor sound. We're aiming for an 80-min movie and the script is PACKED with laughs!!!
- PRACTICAL EFFECTS. Screw Turkie being CGI - FX guru Troy Smith is rebuilding a much more sophisticated puppet, capable of eye movements and facial expressions. Blood, Puppets, & Explosions!
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - A STORY DRIVEN BY CHARACTER AND THEME, NOT ONE FOCUSED ON THE EXPLOITATION OF GENRE CLICHES.
If you're a fan of the first, you'll love what comes next... But don't worry if you haven't seen the original as this new concept does not center around the events of part one.
Over the years, we've been lucky enough to meet a lot of really talented people. Putting those connections to use, we've assembled a dream team of brilliant minds and funny peeps to be a part of our project. Mike Will Downey scripts with us and filmmaker Ricky Fosheim will Produce. Here's the rest of our lineup:
- Sick Animation. Marc M, mastermind cartoonist & musician of all things warped and offensive, will voice one of the lead characters in the sequel! One of his latest cartoons, Big Ass Bear, was featured on Tosh.0. Visit Marc's Site.
- Amazing Super Powers. Web-comic experts Wes & Tony will animate a key sequence in the sequel. The two were responsible for an important "flashback" animation in the original ThanksKilling. Check out their web-comics!
- Slick Gigolo. Viral-video making duo Mike & Bridge will voice two additional characters introduced in the sequel. Mike & Bridge run Slick Gigolo, the troupe responsible for hit online videos We Are Douchebags and George Lucas Strikes Back. Check out the rest of their work here.
100 million homes... here we come! Because of the success of the first ThanksKilling and our relationship with the wonderful guys at Gravitas Ventures, we're fortunate enough to have already secured what most indie movies have to fight for down the road: DISTRIBUTION. Gravitas will release ThanksKilling on VOD (Video-On-Demand) in the fall of 2012 around that special holiday we're parodying. Platforms you'll see the sequel on?
- On Demand: Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, DirecTV, & more!
We're aiming for a limited theatrical run as well. There's a chance the exclusive Kickstarter DVD (which you get by pledging just 20 smackers) will be the only hard copy version released... Making it potentially very rare!
What will your money go towards?
Movie makin'! Every cent goes directly towards the sequel. That covers everything from insurance, cast and crew wages, location fees, mustache grooming, costumes, props, camera and lens rentals, production design, grip and electric package, post-production, marketing, and distribution.
As a backer of even just 1 buck, you'll have a direct hand in getting a movie made!
Thanks for givin' our page a looksey!
- (90 days)