About this project
Nota is now available to order at NotaStylus.com
The Nota is shipping to backers in late 2013 - you can pre-order or buy the Nota Stylus from our website and we'll ship it as soon as we have fulfilled all our backers rewards. Thanks!
The Dream: A Fine Point iPad Stylus.
The number 1 search term for stylus is "fine point iPad stylus"
The number 1 request from our customers is "can you make a finer point"
The number 1 request from retailers is "why are all the tips fat rubber?"
We delivered the highest precision stylus tip for the JaJa Pressure Sensitive Stylus, and now we are raising the bar with the finest stylus tip on earth.
What is the Nota Ultra Fine Point Stylus?
The Nota is the finest writing instrument for iPads and Android Tablets. It's based on some exciting patented technology we developed while building the JaJa - the worlds first Pressure Sensitive Stylus.
Normal styluses rely on a conductive path between your body and the sensors in a capacitive screen. The stylus tip needs to be around 6-8mm to simulate a finger touch.
The Nota stylus is different.
The Nota is the first stylus to be electronically active, this means it can have the worlds smallest tip. The electronics feed a unique signal back into the screen to simulate touch. It can even be used whilst wearing gloves. The Nota is powered by a single AAA battery, which can last for 6 months of solid use.
Why is the Nota Ultrafine Stylus So Great?
The Nota has an ultra fine tip - less than 3.7mm - half the size of most normal styluses. Importantly it works with all screen protectors, compatible with all Apps, and it works with all iPads, Android Tablets and smart phones. Because it has a fine tip you can even use shape templates or rulers on the screen. It gives better visibility and it’s an all round more predictable drawing and note taking experience.
As you can see in the video, the Nota tip doesn't distort when drawing so it is more precise than fat rubber tips. The Nota tip is firm rather than a soft blob - this is much better for note taking and drawing in general. Plus it works with all screen protectors - we can even draw thru electrical insulation tape!
The Nota will ship with two tips in the box (so 1 on stylus and 1 spare), spare tips will also be available from our website. The tip should last a long while, but since it is silicon it will eventually wear out.
Please see the FAQ regarding multiple unit rewards. Kickstarter prohibits us setting up any pledge level with multiple rewards, but we can arrange something.
We think the Nota is going to be very popular, but to be sure we'd like to see what you think! As you can see in the video, the final working prototypes are done, the electronics design and boards are done, and the industrial design is done.
The next step we need to take in order to bring the Nota Ultrafine Stylus to market is to commit to the tooling of the various plastic parts. We also need to satisfay the minimum order quantity (MOQ) at our factory. This is where you can help us... The funding raised on Kickstarter will prove our concept is worthwhile and pay for these final stages. In return you will get a great discount on the final retail price, plus you will be one of the first to own a Nota Ultrafine Stylus.
We're also committing to regular updates so you get insight into the manufacturing process.
If you become a backer we’ll send you one of the first Nota Ultrafine Styluses off the production line as a reward. We also have some other rewards that give you a JaJa Pressure Sensitive Stylus together with the new Nota Active Stylus.
You can save some money and also help us bring the Nota to market!
All images shown here are real working prototypes.
In 2012 I launched my first Kickstarter for the JaJa Pressure Sensitive Stylus. Thanks to our Awesome Kickstarter Backers we successfully raised $65,414 of the $25,000 goal.
Then a few months later I launched a second Kickstarter for the AppTag laser tag toy, which raised $55,679 of $30,000 goal. Both of these products were delivered to backers in late 2012. They are now available for sale online and in many great stores around the world.
Together with my design team I spent a lot of 2012 in China and traveling to meet distributors at press events. So far we’ve spent 2013 improving the existing products with new Teflon precision tips for all JaJa owners and improving App support. Here is a review of the JaJa Pressure Sensitive Stylus
It’s been quite a journey, and I've learnt a lot along the way - I think we are more than prepared for the inevitable challenges that we'll face with bringing another new technology to market. This time though we have full working prototypes - so we should be able to deliver the Nota much more quickly and with fewer surprises!
Please join us! :-)
Simplicity improves the manufacturing process. Below you will see the parts that make up the functional prototype.
Risks and challenges
1. Design. We have completed a full design program including multiple rounds of prototyping to ensure our product not only looks great but also has excellent functionality and mechanical design.
2. Electronics. The final PCB design is complete, and operational. There are some minor adjustments required for our power on and off switch, and also the power LED. Both of these will be tweaked in the T1 unit - ie after tooling is complete. We do not consider this to be high risk, but it needs to be mentioned. In combination with electronics enhancements and a possible addition to the firmware/SDK we will continue to improve the line quality and precision.
3. Manufacturing partner. We have identified a strong manufacturing partner. assuming we are successful we'll travel to meet with them and finalise the manufacturing schedule in the 3 weeks following the completion of the Kickstarter completion. We also have strong relationships with other factories if required.
4. Distribution. We currently work with one of the larger 3PL companies and we utilise warehouses in Hong Kong, UK, and 2 in the USA - LA and PA. We do not consider distribution a risk, although managing the flow of product can sometimes not run smoothly, we understand what is required.
5. Team. Our company currently consists of 3 people. Jon Atherton, Alex and Warren - the industrial designers. So whilst our product will look and work great, we are a small company and we're using Kickstarter to help us grow.
6. Customer Service. We have learn that we need to improve our customer service response times. To mitigate this, we are hiring customer service staff who will assist with tracking orders and answering questions. Whilst this will not impact the final product, it should be mentioned.
7. There are always unforeseen circumstances, but we do not think that this project is very high risk. We have working units and have the experience to deliver.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
It's from Nameless: the Hackers RPG Soundtrack, by BoxCat Games it is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. Go here for more: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/BoxCat_Games/Nameless_the_Hackers_RPG_Soundtrack/
No special App support will be required for it to work. It will work in all Apps including "native" Apps and the OS itself.
We made mention of the Apps for two reasons:
- some pledges that involve the JaJa Stylus which is widely supported by Apps
- because we thought it was important that people understood that we have good a software background within the company.
Kickstarter is a showcase of innovation where many distributors and retailers look for the next new thing - Nota is obviously that New Thing! :-)
If you want to discuss multiple Nota's please send me a private message, through the "contact me" link next to my profile pic and we will arrange it.
Support this project
- (30 days)