The playing cards for cardists, collectors, magicians, card players, artists, enthusiasts and everyone in between.
For three years, at Joker and the Thief, we have reviewed and handled hundreds of custom designer playing cards from around the world. We have seen absolute gems and absolute rubbish, innovation and repetition, various design trends, decks that handle spectacularly and decks that handle poorly. What we have observed is a vast plethora of combinations, leading to either quality products or poor ones. We believe that a certain balance needs to be achieved in order to create a great deck of cards. Now we are delighted to introduce to you, a collaborative project with Pedro Oyarbide, 6 months in the making - Joker and the Thief Playing Cards.
The Back Design
The first step was to create a unique back design, one that not only had an intricately beautiful design but one that both appealed aesthetically and sentimentally. It had to be thought provoking, and had to evoke a certain connotation. From the first sketches to the end product, it slowly developed its own flair, and this continues throughout the deck!
The back design is one way; it is perhaps one of, if not, the most unobtrusive and functional major one-way design. This allows for a unique story and symbolism to be evoked; metaphors of life and mortality, thievery, lies, deceit, power, mysticism, struggle, and love.
It creates a backstory for the Joker and the Thief and is seen throughout the rest of the deck. For example, we see the opposition of the King and Joker, the way they oppose each other, each being attacked by a viper, a symbol that despite their contrast, both share the same fate. The chained hands, both of flesh and bone, represent mortality. They hold cards; life holds the ace of spades, the death card, and the skeletal holds a card with a skull on it, representing the inevitability of death. The chains and manacles link the Joker and the Thief, and the daggers represent the danger of their opposition.
The Ace of Spades
The next step was to design an Ace of Spades, one that was iconic to the deck and instantly recognisable. We're quite proud of how this came out!
The Court Cards
The court cards are all completely custom, illustrated from scratch. The themes that you see on the back design are seen here. You may even start to see a story forming as you look through them. We have created something different. We have done away with borders to free the courts - to make use of the space and to make them prominent characters. They've got so much personality!
We have put a unique spin on the Jokers. Introducing our harlequin and our bandit - The Joker and the Thief.
The Tuck Case
To wrap it all up we've created something special. Everyone has seen theory11's box designs and they're just phenomenal. So the idea is to bring you the same eye candy with Joker and the Thief playing cards - here is the Tuck Case.
It is peppered with lavish touches, and adorned with silver foil, on matte finished paper. It is embossed on all sides, has a hot-stamped foil interior, and a perforated tax stamp seal.
This will look amazing on your poker nights, pulling them out to perform to a spectator, residing on a shelf amonst your prized collection, or featured in an opening shot of one of your Cardistry Videos.
The Bells and Whistles
- Thin Borders
- Custom Pips and Fonts
- Silver Metallic Inks (Faces and Backs)
- Interior Tuck Case Printing and Foil Stamping
- Exterior Tuck Case Embossing and Foil Coverage
- Perforated Tax Stamp Seal with Metallic Ink
- Matte Finish Paper
- Classic Stock and Finish
- Traditionally Cut
The Expert Playing Card Company will produce these playing cards. This is to ensure that you receive the highest quality product possible, and a deck of playing cards that is both incredibly durable and handles amazingly. Joker and the Thief Playing Cards will sport the highly acclaimed CLASSIC Stock and Finish. It will be traditionally cut to maximise performance. This praised finish has both the snappiness and durability of EPCC's previous decks combined with the more papery feel and slick finish of a traditional USPCC deck. It is the best of both worlds.
To ensure that your decks arrive safely and quickly, Art of Play will be fulfilling the Joker and the Thief deck. If you are not familiar with Art of Play, they are an offshoot of Dan and Dave Industries and have distributed pledges for campaigns such as Fontaine Cards and others.
Because Art of Play is handling the distribution of your playing cards:
- Your shipping costs are lower.
- You have peace of mind that your decks will arrive safe and sound.
- Art of Play ship globally.
- Take advantage of the Free Shipping options.
The Team Behind the Project
Hello! We are the team behind Joker and the Thief Playing Cards!
Thank you for visiting our campaign page. We are two young Australian Cardists, videographers and photographers that have huge love for all things playing cards.
Back in 2012, we started up a YouTube channel called Joker and the Thief Card Deck Reviews. Now we collaborate with Art of Play. We got together on our weekends, and in our spare time to go out and location scout to shoot. We then edited in house, usually side by side, listening to music and fuelled by snacks. We had minimal equipment and a very small budget (if there really was one) Oh the joys of indie film making!
We sought to change the way deck reviews were made and in doing so, many adventures were had along the way. Since we didn't have a car at the time, our bikes and our legs were the main source of transport in our city, if we were to shoot on location. With little time, little transport, a budget of... not much, and our favourite Youtubers, Film Makers, and Cardists as our inspiration, we slowly but surely developed our skills. We had some truly memorable moments along the way. There was always this one thought though, "We are going to make our own deck of playing cards one day". One day...
So, it has been our dream for 4 years now to create our own deck of playing cards, and the opportunity has finally arisen! The day is finally here!
BUT to make this dream a reality, we need your help! Help us breathe life into our creation and our dream, so that we can see it in the hands of people around the world. With your continued support we can make it to 100% and make this dream a reality. Pledge now.
Testimonials and Ambassadors
- The more decks you back, the cheaper they become.
- We are offering 200 individual decks for all you early birds out there and other limited products.
Want the uncut sheet or a poster, or have a single deck and want more decks? Follow our add-on guide - and once you have adjusted your pledge, please make sure that you shoot us a message specifying exactly what you would like.
Example: U.S. Backer wants to add 6 more Decks of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards to their current pledge.
Current Pledge: $17AUD ($13USD) - 1 Deck of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards ADD: $87AUD ($66USD) (6 Decks) + $7AUD shipping to current pledge for a total of $111AUD.
Example: International Backer wants to add 6 more decks of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards to their current pledge.
Current Pledge: $17AUD ($13USD) + $15AUD (Shipping) - 1 Deck of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards. ADD: $87AUD ($66 USD) (6 Decks) + $24AUD (6 Decks Shipping total) to current pledge for a total of $143AUD.
Just apply this to your preferred pledge option and you're on your way! We hope that clears things up for you guys!
Joker and the Thief Skateboards
Risks and challenges
As with any project, there are risks and challenges involved. Simplifying our methods and outsourcing will hopefully allow for a very smooth and successful campaign.
- We are paying Art of Play to handle the shipping of your decks. So as soon as the Expert Playing Card Company has finished manufacturing the cards, the stock will then be sent to Art of Play's warehouse in San Diego, California. The shipping of the stock to Art of Play may take up to three weeks. There is also a possibility that this process may be delayed, in the case that this happens, you will be updated.
- Your orders will promptly be packed and sent out to wherever you are in the world, and if you have ever received a package from Art of Play, you will know that their packages are secure and every deck arrives in immaculate condition.
- We expect the cards to be shipping out to you in July. If earlier you'll be updated. We'd rather over-promise than under-deliver.
- As it stands, the files have been at EPCC prior to the launch of this campaign. So, as soon as we hit our goal, we will give Expert the all clear to start production.
- When the campaign is successful and has concluded half the job will be done. It may take 3-4 weeks for manufacturing time. There is always a possibility that a delay or a problem can occur in terms of manufacturing. Expert Playing Card Company has an excellent work ethic and will work hard to ensure that no issues come up, and if they do, will be sorted quickly.
- As soon as we hear something, you will too. Our updates section will be our platform to announce to you.
Downloads and Other Rewards:
- For those of you that pledge for a Cardistry Tutorial Pack. You will need to supply us with your email address (send to firstname.lastname@example.org) for a download link when funding concludes. Art of Play will be notified and your free deck will be shipped out to you.
- For those who pledge for posters, they will be produced, signed and packaged in house. We will make sure that your posters are sent out as early as possible.
- The skateboard decks will be sent out from the USA by Adam Kirby (the creator of the skate decks). He will be making them after he receives the decks from the campaign. So, the wait for this reward will be a little longer, but you'll be updated in regards to Adam's movements.
Thanks very much for visiting our campaign page and backing! Let's do this!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)