March 7 2017:
We decided, together with our backers consent (88% in support of), to cancel and reboot this campaign on the morning of March 7th 2017 even though it was successfully funded with Stretch Goals unlocked.
We made that choice because we wanted to give the campaign a huge facelift, do some re-budgeting, re-open locked tiers, and make a few other changes that are all 100% in the benefit of YOU the backer.
Please come visit the NEW - UPDATED - EVEN LESS EXPENSIVE Kickstarter for...
Halfsies Dice - The World Tour HERE. <---Link.
Main changes you'll find over there:
- Stretch Goals reduced as much as 33% allowing more Dice Sets faster.
- Top Pledge Tiers discounted even more.
- The previously locked "Day 1 Tier" for **9+1** Sets is now available for the WHOLE CAMPAIGN!
Visit us after March 2017 at www.GateKeeperGaming.com for pre-order information.
Thank you in advance,
To you, your best friend, and your pen pal from around the world, we say "Welcome!". You are what will make this project great.
Halfsies Dice World Tour is a two-phase project.
The first phase is already complete.
That's where we sent 50 unique dice prototypes around the globe for a worldwide photography project in the name of unity.
The second phase is where the project culminates in this Kickstarter and you get to be involved by choosing which of the 50 prototypes we make into full official sets.
Far more than your usual campaign to create new dice, it's is also a powerful symbol of the unity that occurs when gamers sit down to play together!
Let's look at where they've been, then lets talk dice!
- 5 continents
- 16 countries
- 23 national landmarks
- 42 volunteer gamer-photographers
- 50 unique sets at 50 unique locations...
- 1 unified world full of gamers
Updated: March 1, 2017
We'll see just how far this can go. Let's get every European country!
Here at Gate Keeper Games our motto is "This is your game", so I do everything I can to involve the community in the work I do; hence, 30 volunteer photographers. When we all work together we can make more friends, touch more lives, and ensure that what we make is enjoyed by all.
To that end, the dice we create will be chosen by YOU.
I chose the first 2 sets to get us started, as well as a bonus twin-set to come further down the project, and you choose the rest.
All sets are complete, industry standard size of 15-20mm by die, and include the standard 7 dice...
Now Funded (THANK YOU!), the first two sets: Phoenix & Gamma Dice are officially unlocked!
The winner of the Nature vote, will be announced and become available at the $45,000 Stretch Goal at the same time the Romantics set winner will be announced.
Sets to vote on have been broken into 5 Categories...
Each of the 5 Categories...
- Contains a group of thematically linked sets.
- Is introduced by one of our favorite industry friends.
- Will be voted on in anticipation of the Stretch Goal when its winner will be announced.
Every new dice set option will appear twice during the campaign, once in each of two Categories, while our previously existing color options will have just one shot at being remade.
We thought it would be best for you to be able to see all the sets available from Day 1. No mysteries, no games, no tricks. This will help you decide how to plan your voting for all categories.
Watch all 5 videos, or just the one we're voting on now!
The Chivalry sets contain options thematically related to life in a castle, or in the case of GKG ...a tiny tower. ; ) Special thanks to Lord Burky of Board Game Theater for so thematically introducing this first Category.
Let us start in Luxembourg and work out way out from there, shall we?
Chivalry Set Winner: Queen's Dice will be unlocked at the $30,000 Stretch Goal.
Royally busy? View an image collage instead here, or inside the poll below.
CHIVALRY VOTE - now closed.
Want a free 2nd vote? Visit our Facebook page here for an easy 2nd vote - now closed. - now closed.
The Nature sets contain options featured in, or named after, raw and beautiful Nature! Richard Ham of Rahdo Runs Through, a lover of all things green, offered to be the one to introduce this Category all the way from Malta.
Vote below for which Nature Set you'd like unlocked at the $45,000 Stretch Goal. This is going to be a tough one!
Natsure you have time for the full video? View an image collage instead here, or inside the poll below.
NATURE MAIN VOTE - now closed - but there was a tie. Please see Update #4 for the TIE BREAKER vote.
Want a free 2nd Nature vote? - now closed.
- Visit our Twitter page here.
- Retweet the top "Pinned Tweet".
- Then look for the Nature Logo for your Bonus Vote link!
I really think the bonus votes might tip the victory scales in this close race!
The Romantics sets inspire us from some of the world's greatest landmarks, cities, and honeymoon destinations. The lovely ladies at Girl's Game Shelf brought the charm to introduce these.
Vote below for which Romantics Set you'd like unlocked at the $60,000 Stretch Goal. They're all too pretty, how do we choose!?!
Late for a date? View an image collage instead here, or inside the poll below.
ROMANTICS VOTE HERE <--- Now Live!
Want a free 2nd Romantics vote? (I'd take three if I could!)
- Visit our Facebook page here.
- "Share" the top "Pinned Post".
- Then look for the Romantics Logo for your Bonus Vote link!
If the bonus votes here are anything like Nature's, they're going to really change the final results a lot!
"Family" is a pivotal value to Gate Keeper Games (and that, ahem, includes you). Thus this category got this title because these are all sets chosen by the GKG family; by backers of prior campaigns or by myself on your behalf based on sheer love. Every set here is a repeat of a set you've seen before, but the are best of the best. It is my honor to have this Category kicked off by the community favorite, Man vs. Meeple.
Vote below for which Family Favorites Set you'd like unlocked at the $75,000 Stretch Goal. YOU are the Family we're talking about, choose well!
Need to make more time for the family? View an image collage instead here, or inside the poll below.
FAMILY FAVORITES VOTE HERE (voting not open yet)
...AND the Super/Spider Dice unlock (set #8)...
The Must Have Remakes Category is your opportunity to select a set from Halfsies 1.0, reprint it, then buy it with the Kickstarter-cheapness. Sending these sets around the world was like sending my own children! If you don't yet own any Halfsies Dice, this video's sets are all new for you; if you already own them all, well, then these are all old. ; ) Either way, the videos are awesome! A long time friend and ally, Lance Myxter, aka Undead Viking, is here to introduce this powerhouse list.
Vote below for which of the Must Have Remakes you'd like unlocked at the $100,000 Stretch Goal. I can't believe we're only doing one!
Remember, when the Must Have Remake is unlocked so too will be Super AND Spider Dice!
Must Have ...Collages? View an image collage instead here, or inside the poll below.
MUST HAVE REMAKES VOTE HERE (voting not open yet)
Set Selection TBD based on Backer Voting during the course of the campaign!
Stay tuned in to find out what combination of sets will be included in the Category Combo: Wild Card!
Vote below for which Wild Card set you'd like unlocked at the $125,000 Stretch Goal.
WILD CARD VOTE HERE (voting not open yet)
If we're allowed to have a "Wild" "Card" group, we should sure have a "RANDOM" "DICE" one. ; )
Set Selection TBD based on Backer Voting during the course of the campaign. In addition to the leaders that join this voting block, I promise to additionally include at least 3 Randomly Selected Dice Sets just for good thematic measure. ...aaand we'll probably also give away a bunch of dice to randomly selected backers at this point too.
Stay tuned in to find out what combination of sets will be included in the final Category Combo: Random Dice!
Vote below for which Random Dice set you'd like unlocked at the $150,000 Stretch Goal.
RANDOM DICE VOTE HERE (voting not open yet - voting at random not suggested)
There are a few sets that share a very similar color combo as another, though in slightly different shades/saturations. In the happy event that any of these individual sets win, there will be a "Tie Breaker" between the "siblings". The winner of the Tie Breaker will be the set that goes into production, while the runner up will be removed from competition for the duration of the campaign.
The reasons for this is to try to "flatten the timeline" so to speak, in an effort to respect every backer's hopes for the net campaign. Consider for example: Police Box wins during the Romantics vote ...but you prefer shades of Nami Ura. Once Police Box wins early, Nami Ura will have no chance of winning during the Must Have Remakes vote as nobody will vote for it once Police Box is in production. Thus to respect those that prefer the sibling set that will show up later, a vote-off must occur.
Please bear that in mind as you vote for the following sets.
The sets in brotherly competition are...
- Earth Elemental vs. Frozen Tundra (Brown & Blue)
- Caribbean Tide vs. Shire Dice (Green & Green)
- Mexicali vs. Olympic (Green & Yellow)
- Liberty Dice vs. Robin Hood (Green & Gold/Bronze)
- Sky Current vs. Waterfall Mist (Blue & Blue)
- Archipelago vs. Evergreen (Green & White)
- Nami Ura vs. Police Box (Blue & White)
Retailers: Contact Gate Keeper Games for retailer pre-order event.
With each unlocked Stretch Goal voting on the current set will close and the winner will be announced as the new available set!
Voting on the next set will begin at that time.
If we reach the $150,000 goal we'll have the funds to begin creating the much requested: Halfsies Dice style d6 and d10 blocks. At last, cases of Halfsies Dice that contain all d6s (quantity 12) or all d10s (quantity 10) ...a war-gamer's dream come true!
That campaign will immediately follow this campaign, last 10 to 14 days only, and combine shipping with this campaign. (Yes, shipping will only be charged once, based on your total sets ordered across both campaigns!) There will also only be one Pledge Manager where both campaigns will be processed at the same time!
Don't hold back now to wait for them! ..for two good reasons...
#1) We can't do it unless we fund enough here to subsidize the new heavier sets.
#2) Only colors unlocked through this campaign will be available during that one. No new color choices will be available. So the more we unlock now, the more choices you'll have then!
Let's see how far we can go!
Once the 7th dice set is unlocked, Superdice and Spider-Dice, the 8th set(s) will be available here for only $8 each (no limit).
Super and Spider dice are identical dice with different colored numerals. Golden yellow for Superdice, and white for Spider-Dice.
You may add one or each for +$8 per set.
Please add this amount to your pledge at any Tier.
- Available as an Add On Only for Tiers 1-10.
- May be selected normally in all 20+ Tiers.
- Included free in the "SuperDice" Tier while it lasts.
All shipping will be collected after the campaign... for two great reasons.
#1) I don't want to charge you until I'm certain the rates are as low as I can get them. The costs shown are your absolute maximum price for shipping, but if my costs go down, so will yours.
#2) Upgrades will be available after the campaign, and shipping charges are based on your final quantity.
#2) Promote unity. Any size step is good one.
#3) Refund and exchange policies guarantee you have no risk.
#4) We create a community so tight that we call it a Family, and that is something we want you to be a part of.
#5) I take care of my own. Once you pledge you're part of that family, and special gifts, discounts, and freebies tend to show up.
#6) With an MSRP of $12 each, these dice are currently the cheapest they'll ever be.
#7) A portion of all profit (not pledges) of all future dice sales will be given to charitable orgs that promote peaceful unity, relieve the burden of the poor, and generally make the world a better place to live for everyone.
Since 2015 our games and dice have donated over $14,500 between charitable organizations around the world that promote a more peaceful, well fed, world, and in convention support to thank the awesome volunteers that offer their time for our community.
As you pledge to us, we continue to pledge to you.
This whole project is about unity and communication. Let's do it!
If you, just you, tell just one friend to come take a look at the photos and the dice, we will all have 10+ dice sets to choose from in under a week. Guaranteed.
Here are some suggestions...!
-EMAIL the first person you think of when you think of your Gaming Group.
-Post a link to this page in your 2nd most used FACEBOOK group.
-Visit our TWITTER page and retweet the pinned post.
-Create a discussion thread on BOARD GAME GEEK about dice, photography, and unity.
-Gank a photo of your favorite set and post it on your INSTAGRAM. (Please credit the photographer.)
-Share our project from inside KICKTRAQ.
Who, how, where? I leave it to you.
Permission is granted to use any photo(s) from this campaign in your posts. Please credit the Photographers and/or Gate Keeper Games.
You can also follow us at most of the above. That would be cool!
The team of volunteer gamer-photographers that made this event possible!
Special thanks to the following skilled artisans and friendly organizations for their participation in this event.
Art & Coloration Expectation Policy:
- Though we're voting based on photographs, depending on the display settings of your monitor or phone final dice colors received may vary somewhat from what you see here.
- The unique and rather difficult process used to make these high density dice may also cause very minor shading variance from die to die depending on the pearl, the inking, any minor color bleed, and the ratio of each color "half". This is all a great thing, as every die is a unique work of art unto itself.
- Structural defects are not welcome here, and will be replaced - see below.
Refund & Exchange Policy:
- You may request a full refund up to the time the Pledge Manager launches (Est: March/April).
- After Pledge Management begins, refunds will still be granted but will be sent via Paypal, minus Kickstarter and Paypal fees.
- Once fulfillment begins (shipping of dice to you), there are no more refunds. If you receive a set and don't fall in love with it you have 4 weeks to request an exchange. Customer pays return shipping.
- In the unlikely event that you receive a set that is damaged, or missing dice, contact me directly via email with a photo of the issue for a replacement piece on me.
Pledge Manager Policy:
- Pledge Management is a process that comes after the close of the campaign where you confirm your pledge, pay your shipping, and tell me which dice sets you desire as your reward as well as where to ship them.
- Pledge Management will be handled through a 3rd party management system, not the 'Kickstarter Survey' system.
- Upgrades will be available during pledge management.
- All shipping will be collected during pledge management.
- It is your, the backer's, sole responsibility to fill out the pledge manager during the allotted time before the announced deadline (check your Updates, stay subscribed), lest you will not have dice ordered for you.
- Pledges that are "managed" and paid for after the pledge manager deadline, but before the ultimate deadline, will be treated like regular sale orders and thus have pricing converted to MSRP, shipping costs increased to full one-at-a-time-by-hand rates, and may be subject to VAT, though I will continue to try to avoid VAT for you wherever possible. Your pledge value will be honored, but you'll end up with an additional balance, or less dice, with no refunds at this point.
- Pledges that are not "managed" and paid for in full by the ultimate deadline (TBD - but a good distance into the future - I'd guess roughly 3 additional months after fulfillment) will result in an abandoned pledge. Abandoned pledges will be converted to "No Reward" pledges, meaning: no dice with no refund option available. Please don't let that happen.
TLDR: Fill out the pledge manager when it's first sent to you and everything will be great! If you fill it out late you'll be required to pay more or may not get dice. Read the Updates I send through this campaign and you'll stay well informed!
Risks and challenges
Halfsies Dice World Tour has been around the block, so to speak, and has had its research done. This will be our 2nd round of producing Halfsies Dice in exactly this manner (colors selected by the backers), and we have a contract with the same factory for the same moulds.
To date we have created and shipped over 33,500 Halfsies Dice Sets! That's over 234,500 individual dice! (Wow, that's the first time I ever did that math. Sheesh, that's a lot of dice!)
Your pledge is in good hands.
BY BACKING THIS PROJECT YOU AGREE TO THE ART EXPECTATION, REFUND & EXCHANGE, and PLEDGE MANAGER POLICIES FOUND ABOVE.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)