I'm making a NEW RECORD titled ACRES OF ELBOW ROOM this winter at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity in Alberta. In March of 2017 I was a resident artist there. I don't want to sound like a drunken fan - "Like dude, you changed my life" - but the experience did alter the songwriter in me. I can't pinpoint one specific moment but the experience as a whole created a definite line in the sand, marking how I used to write songs and how I do now. It did a number on me and I wrote more than I bargained for.
I want to take the 11 new songs I wrote during my time in Banff and return to the place that inspired them. I’ve asked some incredibly talented people to join me. Jason Valleau on upright bass, Jon May on drums, Stephen Fletcher on Hammond and Scott Duncan on fiddle.
If you JOIN ME:
- YOU will hear the record FIRST.
- YOU will receive COOL STUFF, including NEW LIMITED EDITION SWAG & HOME MADE JAM & POEMS & HOME MADE SOAP & MARBLES from my childhood collection.
- YOU will FEEL SUPER helping me achieve another dream!
This will be my 7th studio album and so far I’ve been honoured to receive a few nice accolades for my work:
- 2013 Triple Canadian Folk Music Award Nominee
- 2010 Contempory Album of the Year Winner - Canadian Folk Music Awards
- 2010 Juno Award Nominee - Roots and Traditional Album of the Year
- 2008 North American Folk Alliance Award Nominee
- 2007 Double Western Canadian Music Award Nominee
- 2007 New Folk Winner -‐ Kerrville Texas New Folk Songwriting Competition
- 2005 Double Canadian Folk Music Award Nominee
- 2005 Western Canadian Music Award Nominee
- 2005 CBC Galxie Rising Star Award
WHERE IS YOUR MONEY GOING? $10,000 is what I need to add to my existing savings to make this project happen. So you'd be helping to back Recording (studio, engineer, musicians) and Editing (mixing, mastering)
IF THE GOAL IS SURPASSED: There's lots of other stages I need to pay for: Manufacturing, Publicity, Promotion, Touring...and a video if you all go on a spending spree.
If you can't be a BACKER then please consider SHARING this campaign with your friends and family, especially that RICH UNCLE of yours! Yeah, especially him.
You can share by hitting one of the buttons to the right of the video: tweet/share/embed/post!
CONSIDER BACKING OR SHARING! Any help is, well, helpful. I'd be honoured to have you on board!
You can EMAIL ME at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions or just wanna say hi.
Risks and challenges
Does my first foray into crowd-funding scare me a little? You bet! But I remember 15 years ago when I took the big leap into music. That was scary too! I was scared of failure, scared of not being good enough and scared of criticism. But the American writer/philosopher Elbert Hubbard sums up my thoughts precisely, “To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.
I want to say something, do something and be something and I feel I have a great team of musicians, a great studio, and a solid plan to help me do just that. I’d love your help too.
- (30 days)