The final countdown!
Let's finish strong in these last few hours to fund the publishing of The Variable Life.
RELEVANT Magazine posted an excerpt of The Variable Life about all the expectations and pressure we bring into marriage. Read it here. If you like it, pre-order the book for yourself or someone facing the big changes of marriage and relationships.
*Order a book, get instant downloads.*
What others have said about The Variable Life:
- “This book is really, really good. I don’t say that about every book I read, either. I chatted with John Weirick about this book and what it was like to write it.” – Rachel Dawson, The Rising Blog interview
- "Reading this book helped me see how I can grow healthy relationships without losing myself in the process." - book review by Stephanie Long, writer and editor
- “If you feel stuck, scared or insecure, this book is for you.” - Dargan Thompson, writer, editor, and former editor at RELEVANT Magazine
- “Refreshingly honest and inspiring.” - Beth Marshall, author of Grief Survivor: 28 Steps Toward Hope and Healing
- "The Variable Life is a gift for us all...we’ll find ourselves moved from our comfy couches and into the lives of the people around us." - Nate Ray, pastor and speaker
- "You'll be encouraged, challenged, inspired, and best of all, supported by someone who's walking the journey with you." - Ricky and Krista Ortiz, pastor and speaker, writer
Update: We're over 60% of the way with a few days left to reach the goal!
- pre-ordered your copy of the book?
- shared this with someone who would enjoy it?
- gotten the free instant downloads below?
Free Stuff From the Book
- Read a new article I had published on RELEVANT Magazine about one of the major themes in the book: Why embrace conflict?
- Pre-order your copy of The Variable Life and get the first 5 chapters and an album right away!
- Listen to the radio interview about change, risky relationships, and more:
- Get the free The Variable Life 8-day reading plan.
- Free, downloadable images from The Variable Life—save, share, or print 21 quote photos like this:
About The Variable Life book:
You know those moments when one choice could change everything? A lot of those moments sparked for me because of books—ideas that challenged my assumptions and invited me to take risks and build relationships I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise.
When you live that way—open and willing to search for what's good, true, and worth your energy—you begin to realize how powerful life's variety and complexities really are. You gain clarity and confidence in a world of choices.
Over four years ago, I started writing a book—to figure out who I was, what my relationships and faith and career were about, and to help others make progress in their lives, too.
Now, the writing is done. With your help, we can turn this manuscript into a published book, available on Amazon and everything.
I've already started paying for some of the editing and design costs, out of my personal funds. Will you join me in raising the money to complete the publishing process?
Choose a reward level to pre-order your copy of The Variable Life.
Read endorsements on johnweirick.com.
From the back cover:
On the brink of adulthood, one choice can change everything.
Who will my friends be? Which college or career will I pursue? What does God want for me? Where will I find the answers?
This is a book about wrestling through those questions. The Variable Life is a collection of stories and observations about life to help you:
- Gain clarity about who you are and what to do
- Understand God’s role in your life and in the world
- Learn how to navigate conflict and survive difficult transitions
- Develop healthy relationships
- See why the choices you make today will influence the rest of your life
- Live with confidence instead of being driven by fear
The Variable Life is for people who want to find their way through the maze of variables, choices, and complexities of modern life, without losing sight of God or themselves.
Where the Money Goes
It turns out making a book costs a bunch of money. I need your help to pay for publishing, editing, design and layout, promoting, and getting this book into your hands and out in the world.
Here's the cost breakdown:
- Editing: $2,500
- Design and Layout: $2,000
- Book Trailer and Website: $700
- Publishing First Round of Books and Rewards: $1,500
- Kickstarter Fees, Processing, and Taxes: $1,800
- Total: $8,500
Kickstarter is all or nothing—you won't be charged, and books and rewards won't be sent out unless we reach the full $8,500 goal by 9am ET December 24, 2016.
Every pre-order here gets us one step closer to the finish line. Let's make it happen together.
- Cinematography and color: John Carrington
- Talent: Bridget Gregory, Darious Smith, Aron Railey, Annie Gray
Risks and challenges
The most essential part of writing a book is...well, the actual writing. Good news: the writing is already done. Over the past four years, I've refined the book through 7 drafts—but it's worth it. I’m working with a professional editor and a designer to put the finishing touches on it so it’s easy to read and looks great on your bookshelf. We've done the planning and test-run with printed copies to see how it comes out—we're quite pleased with it, and we think you will be, too.
Potential challenges are:
- Editing timeline: The editor I'm working with is top-notch, which means that she may need to finish up other client projects before this one. If this Kickstarter gets funded, we'll submit the book for final copyedits right away, so we can move forward with the publishing and printing ASAP.
- Publishing timeline: An Amazon-owned company puts the manuscript and book cover through an approval process. If they're busy, it may set back the printing timeline (but they've been timely with me so far).
- Printing timeline: Estimated printing and shipping to you by February 2017 (could be sooner if things go smoothly).
- Working with awesome people in web development, design, videography, and all things creative requires patience and flexibility—which is definitely worth it. I'll try to work hard and demonstrate those if you try, too. Sound good?
Every dollar you pledge goes toward getting the book to more people. I've already started putting personal funds toward this. Would you join me?
Check it out, share this with a friend, order the book, and thanks for your support.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)