On Saturday, Sept 8th, I received the pre-production proofs. They look great!!! Take a look:
- There are two small typos that I found on the dust jacket, which also show up on page 105 in the book. I've fixed them and sent the new files to the printer already.
- I'll sign one of the books, a copy of the dust jacket, and a copy of the page proofs, to confirm my approval, and send them back to the print coordinator today!
- They will then put the books in the official print queue and it'll just be a matter of waiting for delivery!
- I'll order the tee shirts, posters, screen prints, and packaging for shipping about three weeks from the delivery date for the books. Those things take less time, so I want to make sure everything arrives around the same time.
- Once I have everything on hand, I'll throw the packing party/performance/potluck, we'll put everything together, and send it out!
The last quote I got from the printer was 10-12 weeks on the books. That puts the delivery date sometime in December. Full disclosure: I really want them to be here in time for the holidays and will do everything I can to make that happen, but it's possible we won't hit that target. I don't want to disappoint anyone, so I wanted to put that on the table as soon as I heard. I will keep you posted with any and all new information as it comes to me. Keep your fingers crossed!
Once this edition is in your hands, I'm going to press the second edition specifically for veterinarians, pet grief counselors, and pet stores. Those will be shorter, without all the credits at the end and without the Many Bennys art gallery. It'll reduce printing and shipping costs for me and also make sure that the first edition is absolutely, unquestionably unique.
I'm still doing this all by myself, so if you have any expertise in product distribution or know anyone who does, please let me know!
I also plan to expand the guided cathartic writing area at BennyPointer.com to serve people better and give everyone some tools for writing and sharing your own stories of love. My hope is to turn it into a forum where we can all benefit from each other's creativity and kindness. One of the most important lessons I've learned in this process was that, when we're overwhelmed by loss, it's important to remember... we may feel lonely but we are never really alone.
I'm also really curious as to what you think I should do moving forward. Just like Benny, I am here to love, serve, and support. How do you think I can do that best?
Please leave your suggestions as comments below, and thanks again for your support and patience along the way!