WP Plugins A to Z Podcast the WordPress Plugins Show
WP Plugins A to Z Podcast the WordPress Plugins Show
Your help will take this show to the next level with theme reviews, developer interviews, training videos, support forums and more.
Your help will take this show to the next level with theme reviews, developer interviews, training videos, support forums and more. Read more
Thanks for stopping by to support the WP Plugins A to Z podcast and website project.This show would have never become what it is without you the listeners. Thanks to you it has become the premier place where developers submit plugins for review and many listeners come to find out what's good and bad among the 40k plus plugins available.
The Purpose of this Kickstarter
- Ability to operate WP Plugins Podcast and Website Full time
- Improve the show including better sound quality
- Increase to 2 Shows per week
- More in-depth show notes with Transcripts
- Theme Reviews and Interviews with developers
- Creation of Plugin Training Videos Support Forums
- Setup additional Websites to support the WordPress Community
Who are we?
We are John Overall (me) and Marcus Couch. Both of us are WordPress professionals and are the hosts of the podcast WP Plugins A to Z. We've been doing the show since 2011 and now with 240 episodes out there and many changes to the show over time, we feel the time has come to make a choice.
The choice comes down to making this a full time business and creating an even better show for you with a website that is of value to you and the WordPress community or leave it as the part time gig it has been.
The problem with the show being part time is that it often gets pushed to the back burner because I need to make a living to pay the bills, and in recent months this has impacted the show in various ways. Most notably it has caused delays in getting the show out on time and I would like to change that but need your help to accomplish this.
WP Plugins A to Z started as a simple podcast to help others find great plugins and a place where honest reviews are handed out about plugins. It has now grown to a show that is downloaded thousands of time per week with a fantastic audience.
WP Plugins A to Z podcast and website has become a place where many developers submit their plugins for honest reviews and feedback. As such, it is time that it became a full time business and to do this I need to be able to set aside my website developing and focus on the show and its website. This requires me to have an income to be able to get it off the ground in the right way. By helping to make this campaign a success it will allow me to have a minimum of 6 months to make sure everything happens.
The goal here is to raise enough money to allow myself the breathing space to take this full time for a minimum of 6 months, allowing enough time to refine many aspects of the show and website that have been started but never competed due to lack of time.
The money raised will be used to pay living expenses and to make improvements for the show as detailed below.
- A better server
- Interview shows
- Improved website
- Better recording equipment
- Plus much more.
Listen to Our Show
Support the show and get a great t-shirt
T-shirts to ship in June
What will be done?
- Creation of 2 shows a week to include theme reviews and more
- Creation of the WPSupport.ca Network
- Creation of members area
- Developer interviews
- More detailed show notes and transcripts
- Training videos on how to setup plugins
- Promotions and contests
- Premium Plugin Directory
Detailed out below:
Creation of the WP Support network of sites to include the following:
Starting within 30 days of the successful completion of the campaign I will be doing the following.
- Create 2 shows a week. One show dedicated to developer interviews, more comprehensive show notes (including transcripts) with additional tips and links to services.
- Creation of the WPSupport.ca network which will have the Crown Jewel of WPPluginsAtoZ.com
- Expanded show to include theme reviews, in particular themes that have numerous functions.
- More detailed show notes, including transcripts to members.
- Creation of a members content section that will have exclusive training videos, additional tips, links, discounts and more. Including premium videos added to the members section as well as transcripts and more specials for members.
To go live April 2016
- Forum for support and help
- Malware Tips and support forum
- Beginner Tips and support forum
- Training section with videos on how to use and set up plugins.
- Promotions and contests with prizes for winners
- E-Book Creation
To go live May 2016
- Creation of a premium plugin directory
- Creation of the WPPro.ca network which will have the Crown Jewel of WPPluginsAtoZ.com
What will happen to money raised?
- Better recording equipment
- Living expenses
- Purchase premium plugins and themes when necessary
- Time to create website network
- Better server
- New software for creating plugin training videos
What will happen in the long term
While it is always good to raise the initial capital to get everything started many people want to know what will happen when that cash runs out. How will this project sustain itself and continue to be a profitable business?
During the course of the buildup and getting it off the ground I will be creating a membership site that will offer many benefits that WordPress users of all levels will find of value. I will be adding to and updating my plugin training videos that go in depth on how to setup and use specific plugins. Many of which will only be available through the membership section.
There will be sponsorship (yes, adverts) in the podcast with 4 types of ads available: a Show Title sponsor, Regular in show ads, Special segment ads and prize sponsors. These will be priced accordingly to bring in a respectable amount of ad revenue.
WP Plugins A to Z has a sizable audience and is a respected show listened to by WordPress users of all levels and has numerous site developers listening to the show. The advertiser has a unique opportunity to place their product right in front of their prospective user base, unlike the use of say Google ads that may or may not hit their intended target.
As an additional revenue stream we may offer products though affiliate links.
What will the WPSupport.ca Network look like
- Primary site WPSupport.ca
- Podcast site WPPluginsAtoZ.com
- Support Site WPMedic.ca
- Additional Support JohnOverall.com
- Malware help WPMalwareremoval.com
- Beginner help WPCoach.ca
- Emergency help WPEmergency.ca
- Find a pro at WPPro.ca
- Training Videos and more WPTraining.ca
All built on the WordPress MU platform a similar project I have completed can be found at TheFitYou.ca
So what is this all for
WordPress has become the leading content management system (CMS) on the internet and is continuing to grow at an amazing rate. The WP Plugins A to Z podcast was created to talk about and discuss plugins and how they could best be used and to give them an honest rating.
The WordPress community could use a central point to help support new and experienced users. This campaign is to allow me to be able to make the WP Plugins podcast and website a full time occupation.
So why do I care? Well, I have been a member of the WordPress community since 2009 and have spoken at the local WordCamp here in Victoria, BC on several occasions. I am also very active in my local WordPress community hosting regular WordPress meetups and regularly sharing my time to help out the community.
I have created numerous WordPress training videos for plugins and more. WordPress has been an excellent vehicle for my career and because I enjoy doing the show so much I would love to make it full time.
Yes, there are stretch goals and I have defined many of our stretch goals which will be posted once the initial funding has been completed.
Track this project at:
Risks and challenges
Risks what risks? Kidding, really. The making of a great podcast and website takes time and commitment. While I have done a great job over the years with WP Plugins A to Z, there have been times when the ball would get dropped and an episode would be recorded but not uploaded on time. This would lead to a drop in listenership but that is what this campaign is all about. When successfully funded I will be able to take the time needed to focus on creating a great show and a website that is very functional and sustainable.
This funding would make that possible in a much shorter period of time and it will not be necessary to take on website projects to earn the money needed to support my family, cover the costs of this sites development and pay the server bills.
The biggest risk is that production may fall behind. I believe that with the planning and timeline that has been put into place and with a successfully funded campaign, the great resources it will supply, will not allow this to happen. Most of the proposed goals in this campaign have been started at one level or another but have constantly been set aside due to lack of time and funds. A successful campaign will change all of that.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)