About the Project
If you're a regular Kickstarter backer, you've probably seen some unique Kickstarters in your time. But one thing all of those projects--boringly!--had in common was: They abided by the physical laws of the universe! If what you've always been looking for in a Kickstarter--and couldn't find--was a project that allowed you to SUMMON DEMONS, DEFY GRAVITY, WIELD MAGIC, or VIOLATE CAUSALITY, then the anthology HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Kickstarters may be just the thing you've been looking for.
About the Stories
The anthology will contain 25 or more science fiction/fantasy stories in Kickstarter form; that is, the stories will be told in the form of a fictional Kickstarter project pitch, using the components (and restrictions) of the format to tell the story. This includes but is not limited to:
- Project Goals
- User Comments
- Project Updates
The idea is to replicate the feel of reading a Kickstarter pitch, so that even though the projects may be preposterous in the real world, they will feel like authentic Kickstarter projects as much as possible. (Though of course some creative license will be taken!)
Read a Story From the Anthology RIGHT NOW
The inspiration for the project was the eponymous story, "HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!" by Keffy R.M. Kehrli, which first appeared in Lightspeed Magazine and which will also appear as the sole previously-published story in the anthology. You can go read it right now (for free) in the October 2013 issue of Lightspeed, a digital science fiction and fantasy magazine I also edit.
About the Funding
The funding I'm seeking will cover: (1) the cost of acquiring the stories at the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America's professional pay rate for short fiction and (2) production costs and Kickstarter fees. Any amount the Kickstarter earns beyond our initial goal will be shared between the creators involved with the project.
About the Editor
John Joseph Adams is the bestselling editor of many anthologies, such as Oz Reimagined, The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination, Epic: Legends of Fantasy, Other Worlds Than These, Armored, Under the Moons of Mars, Brave New Worlds, Wastelands, The Living Dead, The Living Dead 2, Federations, The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Seeds of Change, and The Way of the Wizard. He is a six-time finalist for the Hugo Award and a five-time nominee for the World Fantasy Award. He is also the editor and publisher of the magazines Lightspeed and Nightmare, and is the co-host of Wired’s The Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast.
If you'd like to see what kind of stories I've published in the past, click on the links above; each of them will take you to websites where you can read (for free) fiction I've selected as editor.
About the Authors
In addition to Keffy R. M. Kehrli's story (which you can read right now), the anthology will include stories by the following authors:
- Monte Cook, creator of the Kickstarted roleplaying game Numenera.
- David Malki!, creator of the Wondermark comic strip, co-editor of The Machine of Death anthology series, and co-creator of the Kickstarted party game Machine of Death: The Game of Creative Assassination.
- Matt Forbeck, game designer and author of the "12 for 12" series of novels, which included Kickstarted projects Brave New World, Shotguns & Sorcery, Monster Academy, and Dangerous Games.
- Michael J. Sullivan, bestselling author of the Riyria Revelations and Riyria Chronicles as well as the Hollow World Kickstarted novel.
- Tobias S. Buckell, author of Crystal Rain and Arctic Rising, and Kickstarter projects Mitigated Futures and The Apocalypse Ocean.
- Tim Pratt, Hugo Award-winning author of the Marla Mason urban fantasy series and Kickstarter projects Bride of Death, Grim Tides, Flytrap, and Antiquities and Tangibles.
- Chuck Wendig, author of Double Dead, Blackbirds, Mockingbird, and Kickstarted novel Bait Dog.
- Bradley P. Beaulieu, author of Kickstarter projects The Flames of Shadam Khoreh and Lest Our Passage Be Forgotten & Other Stories.
- Derek Van Gorder, Writer/Director of Kickstarted short film C 299,792 Kilometers Per Second.
- Mary Robinette Kowal, Hugo & Campbell Award-winning author of novels Shades of Milk and Honey, Glamour in Glass, and Without a Summer. Also a professional puppeteer, responsible for the Whatnot showcase Kickstarter.
- Mur Lafferty, podcaster (Geek Fu Action Grip, Escape Pod, I Should Be Writing) and author of The Shambling Guide to New York City and the Kickstarter book project The Afterlife Series.
- Harry J. Connolly, author of the Twenty Palaces series, and the epic fantasy Kickstarter project, The Great Way (active project, runs through Oct. 19!).
- Veronica Belmont, co-host of Tekzilla and Sword & Laser, and the TV show Gizmodo: The Gadget Testers.
- Seanan McGuire, bestselling author of the Rosemary & Rue and InCryptid urban fantasy series; as Mira Grant, author of the Newsflesh series and Parasite.
- Daniel H. Wilson, bestselling author of Robopocalypse, Robogenesis, Amped, How to Survive a Robot Uprising, and others.
- Scott Sigler, podcaster and bestselling author of Nocturnal, Ancestor, Infected, and Contagious.
- Jonathan L. Howard, author of the Johannes Cabal series and the Russalka Chronicles.
- And others, including: Genevieve Valentine, Jeremiah Tolbert, Jake Kerr, Vylar Kaftan, David D. Levine, Kat Howard, Heather Lindsley, and more!
To learn more about the authors, check out our project updates, where we'll be posting some short interviews with the various creators involved with HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!.
About the Rewards
- All backers who pledge at least $10 will receive an ebook copy of HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! and Other Improbable Kickstarters. Barring any unforeseen delays, the anthology will be available in July 2014.
- Any reference to "JJA" in the reward descriptions, refers to John Joseph Adams, the editor of HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! and Other Improbable Kickstarters.
- Any reference to "JJA's magazines," refers to the digital magazines edited by John Joseph Adams: Lightspeed, Nightmare, and Fantasy.
- All of the book rewards offered are anthologies edited by JJA.
- Any reward featuring a "signed, personalized" book will be signed by John Joseph Adams alone, unless otherwise noted. You will have the opportunity to let us know how you'd like your book inscribed once the Kickstarter ends.
- All ebook rewards will be made available DRM-free in epub, mobi/Kindle, and PDF format.
- All book/ebook rewards will be made available immediately after the Kickstarter ends, unless otherwise noted. (For instance, HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! will not be available until July 2014.)
- The "ARC Collector" rewards include Advance Reader Copies (a/k/a ARCs) of JJA's books. ARCs are also known as "galleys" or "uncorrected proofs"; they're produced ahead of book publication and are sent to reviewers. They often have more typos than a finished book and/or may not have the final cover art. However they are all essentially "limited edition" items, as only 100 or so of any of them were ever produced and--in some cases--much fewer than that.
- The 16 books included in the SUPERFAN reward are: Oz Reimagined, The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination (hardcover), Epic: Legends of Fantasy, Other Worlds Than These, Armored (mass market paperback), Under the Moons of Mars (hardcover), Brave New Worlds (Expanded 2nd Edition), Wastelands, The Living Dead, The Living Dead 2, Federations, By Blood We Live, Lightspeed: Year One, The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Seeds of Change (hardcover), and The Way of the Wizard. All will be provided in trade paperback except where otherwise noted. All are 1st edition, 1st printings unless otherwise noted.
Risks and challenges
The planned publication date for the anthology is July 2014. Having published and edited magazines for several years and having more than a dozen anthologies under my belt, I have the necessary experience, skills, and contacts to ensure everything will come together on schedule.
When you edit an anthology, you recruit authors and then get promises from them that they'll write stories for the project. But sometimes inspiration fails to strike, or life gets in the way of allowing them to meet their deadlines and obligations. As such, I cannot 100% guarantee every author mentioned on our project page will deliver a (suitable) story. However, I have extensive connections within the science fiction & fantasy field, and should anyone drop out, I will secure a suitable replacement.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)