ZOMBOCALYPSE: Sidescrolling Action RPG Zombie Game
ZOMBOCALYPSE: Sidescrolling Action RPG Zombie Game
Survive the zombie apocalypse! RPG elements, kill streaks, skills, hordes of undead, & killer graphics. Made by indie developers & YOU!
Survive the zombie apocalypse! RPG elements, kill streaks, skills, hordes of undead, & killer graphics. Made by indie developers & YOU! Read more
About this project
Play the original Zombocalypse right now in your browser! (CLICK HERE)
- UPDATE #4: We're in the Sunday Newspaper!
- UPDATE #3: T-Minus 12 Days: Comebacks, Kill Streaks / Perks
- UPDATE #2: $1K Milestone, New Reward Tier, & Game Updates
- UPDATE #1: If we reach $30,000 in funding it will be possible to bring Zombocalypse to Android! We hear you loud and clear Android gamers!
Zombocalypse is a side-scrolling action game with RPG elements for iOS, taking place just as the zombie apocalypse is breaking out. The story is revealed through intricate and stunningly illustrated cut scenes. We aim to take players back to the nostalgic days of frantic arcade action and fighting for the high score -- except you'll gain experience to level up your character each time you play.
Gameplay will be strategic and rewarding. You'll be collecting every weapon crate you can as you fight for the highest zombie kill count! As players progress through Zombocalypse, your character will gain experience and level up, unlocking Call of Duty style Kill Streaks, equippable perks, more weapons and levels, and character customizations.
Think Super Crate Box's intense forced weapon-switching meets the deep rewards system and game mechanics from Call of Duty, with the flashy graphics of Castle Crashers — all on your iPhone and iPad!
I'm John Funtanilla, a game developer, college student, entrepreneur, and founder of Ironzilla, an independent game development startup based in the beautiful city of San Francisco. Zombocalypse was originally a flash game I created and released online last year. In just a short amount of time, it went on to receive critical acclaim, winning various awards and racking over 6 million plays!
The Original Zombocalypse on Flash - Gameplay Trailer (Play it HERE!)
Since then, our fans have constantly asked for an improved sequel, for a mobile version they could take on the go, and for more of everything they already loved. You asked, and we listened.
I've gathered a talented crew of industry veterans to make a totally revamped Zombocalypse, and the zombie game you've always dreamed of:
- Stunning new graphics by Jeff Hangartner (League of Evil 2)
- Beautiful illustrations and cut-scenes by award winning artist Mike Puncekar (Nintendo Power)
- Programming talent by Chris Hill (Sony, Microsoft)
- Original soundtrack by the award winning video game composers Symphony of Specters (Castle Crashers, Marvel).
- Our project is being advised by industry veterans who hail from companies like EA, 2K Games, and Namco.
We've sacrificed some opportunities and have dipped into our savings so that we can develop this game. All we need now is your help to make Zombocalypse a reality and the best zombie action RPG you've yet to play.
In Zombocalypse, you'll be frantically collecting every weapon crate you come across and strategically fending off hordes of undead as you fight for the highest kill count. As players progress through the game, your character will gain experience and level up, allowing you to unlock more powerful weapon crates, skills, kill streaks, and other areas. Mastering the game is vital to leveling up your character and overcoming stronger zombies and more challenging areas.
Zombocalypse is built from the ground up for mobile devices: This is NOT a port of the Flash version. It's an entirely NEW game with new fluid graphics, illustrations, music, game mechanics, and much more content.
- Kill Combos: Inspired by the Kill Streak mechanics in Call of Duty, customize your Kill Combo load out and unlock new ones. Call in Missile Strikes, Air Strikes, Care Packages, Chopper Gunners, place Turrets, and more!
- Episodical Content: We're expanding the Zombocalypse storyline, meaning more cool features to come. With each update comes a bunch of new things: more areas, weapons, perks, and enemies.
- Original Soundtrack and Voice Acting: An epic sound for an epic game brought to you by the award winning video game composers of Castle Crashers — because generic music just wouldn't serve Zombocalypse justice.
I've been fortunate enough to recruit a team of top tier talent coming from all walks of the gaming industry. They bring a wealth of knowledge and experience, having worked with such companies as Sony, Microsoft, 2K Games, Electronic Arts, and more. They are more than capable of delivering a highly polished game, and even The Avengers are no match for them. Let me introduce you to the dream team:
- Jeff Hangartner is our lead artist and will be taking Zombocalypse's graphics to the next level. Jeff has worked in the game industry for 6 years, and is responsible for the art in the award winning game League of Evil 2. He's the head of Bulletproof Outlaws and created the very first pixel art community on the web. He also has 30 years worth of experience doodling zombies eating people's brains.
- Chris Hill is our lead programmer and he'll be breathing life into the game. He's a veteran in the industry, having worked as lead developer for Sony, and has led projects with Facebook, Microsoft, Red Bull, Miniclip, and more. Chris also founded his own game development studio, Enemy Hideout, and co-founded Kihon Games. Don't mess with him though — he's a karate master.
- Mike Puncekar is our illustrator and he's responsible for all the incredible cut-scenes in Zombocalypse. He is an award winning artist and has been featured numerous times on premiere media outlets. Mike was featured in Nintendo Power Magazine and you may recognize him from his infamous Super Mario Bros art series on Kotaku. To his surprise (but not to ours!), he is constantly a trending topic on Tumblr.
- Symphony of Specters: Award winning video game composers responsible for the amazing soundtracks in Castle Crashers and have worked with Coca-Cola, Disney, Nickelodeon, and Marvel Entertainment. They will be composing original soundtracks for Zombocalypse full of orchestral scores and Call of Duty-esque music. Don't forget you can get the Zombocalypse Soundtrack Album by pledging $20 or more! Here's an example of what they're capable of:
(Main Menu Music of Castle Crashers by Symphony of Specters)
- Our company advisers are long time vets in the games industry. They are a dynamic duo that bring a wealth of knowledge, business insight, and marketing strategies to our team, but prefer to remain behind the scenes (and would rather be special zombies in the game). Our advisers have over a decade of game industry experience at companies such as Electronic Arts, 2K Games, Namco, and more. They have shipped dozens of games and have seen it all. They know what it takes to make — and market — a great game.
I'm a full time college student, and starting a game development company by myself is one of the biggest challenges I've yet to face. I have the support of my team, but my hope is that I'll also have your support to make Zombocalypse a reality.
An effort this grandiose takes time, commitment, talent, and a ton of passion. We have that in unlimited supply, but our only obstacle now is funding the development of Zombocalypse. This is something we simply can't do alone, so we're coming to you for support — financially and creatively.
A high quality game such as Zombocalypse, being developed by industry professionals, can easily cost upwards of $50,000. However my team understands that I'm just a college student with a dollar and a dream. They are working on this project for rates far below than what they'd be making at EA or Sony because they believe in the vision I have for Zombocalypse as a game, and for Ironzilla as a company. Ultimately, we want to become a full fledged independent studio, and the funds from Kickstarter would allow us to work on Zombocalypse full time as indie game developers.
This project is not just about us — it's about YOU, the people that appreciate and love the games we make. The people that truly believe in our vision. You are the driving force behind Zombocalypse, and that's why it would be a great honor to have you as an important part of the game's development and a monumental part of Ironzilla's history. We value your support, and if you feel that you resonate with our message, please champion our cause in bringing Zombocalypse to life.
If our $20,000 goal is reached, 5% will first go to Kickstarter and another 5% will go towards Amazon's processing fees. The rest will go towards the development of Zombocalypse and fulfilling our Backer rewards! This means that our programmer, artists, and composers get paid their fair predetermined share of the funds for the talent they're contributing to the project. This means that my colleagues from Level 2 Productions will receive their fair share for helping us make an incredible Kickstarter video. This also means that Zombocalypse will be in your hands several months from now.
Unfortunately if we don't reach our $20,000 goal, we won't receive any of the funds you've pledged. Kickstarter is an all or nothing deal which is why we need your full support to ensure we reach the finish line.
$20,000 is the absolute minimum we need to make the game, and anything more would be a huge help in supporting any underfunded facets of our game's development. We're grateful for any amount you can contribute, and it will only allow us to keep adding in more content and making Zombocalypse bigger and better.
Any extra funding will also allow us to:
- Continue updating the game and add more content. This means you get more weapons, perks, areas, and enemies after the game has been released.
- Keep the team together to bring you more awesome games. With extra funds I can ensure that our hired talent is able to stay on board to keep creating the games that you love.
- Have more content created byour composers Symphony of Specters and illustrator Mike. They make some amazing artistic pieces, and really add to the value and experience of the game.
- Promote and market Marketing a game is a huge part of the equation. It can cost thousands of dollars to send out a press release about a game, and every marketing campaign costs time and money. We want to get the word out about Zombocalypse and sometimes a little paid marketing can go a long way to starting word of mouth buzz.
- Look into porting Zombocalypse to other platforms. Development for iOS games of this caliber are incredibly costly and porting games to other platforms is a whole new beast of a project in itself. If by some divine miracle we're seriously over funded, it'll be possible to bring Zombocalypse to Android, XBLA, PSN, PC, Mac, or other platforms. However, our focus first and foremost is to develop the best possible game for you on iOS.
- Give you more rewards. Yes, the more you give to the game, the more we give back to you! These are our "Stretch Goals" and we really hope we're fortunate enough to reach these since we have a ton of Zombocalypse reward ideas we know you'll love.
And don't forget, you'll get some really cool Zombocalypse swag for contributing to our project. The higher you pledge, the more rewards you get since each tier is cumulative. Pledged $100? Then you'll get every reward before that too! The rewards are self explanatory, but here are the physical rewards!
A t-shirt designed by our lead artist exclusively for the Kickstarter campaign. We made sure that it would be something you'd WANT to show off — hip, stylish, and trendy.
A limited edition 18x24" poster by award winning artist Mike Puncekar. The poster isn't done yet, but we all know that everything Mike touches turns into a masterpiece. His previous work is a testament to that. We'll be sure to put up a preview in the upcoming weeks!
The Canvas Poster Imagine, Mike's masterpiece on your wall — except on beautiful high quality canvas gallery-wrapped over a wooden frame with his signature on it. It'll have a Satin Coating for water and crack resistance, ensuring it can stay on your wall for eternity. It's really a work of art. Your friends might think you bought it from an art museum.
Thank you for taking the time to check out our Kickstarter project. Getting to this point in the project has been painstakingly difficult as a full time college student, but it's something I deeply care about. Zombocalypse to me is much more than just creating a game. It's the precursor of being able to achieve my life-long dreams and help others do the same. It's how I want to change and influence the world — one game at a time, one endeavor at a time. Because turning your dreams into reality, inspires those who someday wish to do the same.
I'm both honored and greatly humbled to have this special opportunity to share my dream with you. It's a privilege for us to have you as an important part of our life stories, and that's something we'd be eternally grateful for. Together, we can bring Zombocalypse to life!
If you have any questions or just want to keep in touch, write to us directly at email@example.com. We'd love to hear from you!
We'd also like to give a huge thanks to our friends, families, and fans who have supported us since day one. You are all amazing and are our motivation to continue striving for the best. This would be impossible without you. Thank you for believing in us -- we hope to make you proud.
John and the Ironzilla team
Support this project
- (30 days)