Are you ready for the MICRONOMICON?
If you're looking for the tome so evil that just opening it might break your brain, you're in the wrong place. But if you're here for a fun and exciting book to enrich your tabletop roleplaying, I have good news for you!
The MICRONOMICON is a licensed supplement for Tiny Dungeon 2e, the minimalist fantasy roleplaying game. It's packed with new spells, new scrolls, and new potions. New enemies and allies, new treasures and magical traits. And even new playable heritages. It expands on the original rules, while sticking closely to the K.I.S.S. principle: Keep It Simple, Sorcerer.
How simple? Well TD2e is "rules-lite," which as we all know rhymes with "system-neutral." Everything in this book-- and especially our microsettings-- is designed to be useful for any fantasy RPG player or GM. A minimalist system means we focus more on laying out ideas which you can translate into any world, any ruleset. So welcome, roleplayers of all stripes! The MICRONOMICON is portable!
Something for Every Mage
There are two parts to the Micronomicon. First, we have thirteen chapters, each organized around a single magical Trait. These Traits include the basics from the original game (Alchemist, Beastspeaker, Familiar, Healer, Spell Reader, Spell-Touched), as well as some optional Traits (Archmage, Artificer, Bard, Shaman, Psionic, and more) found in specific settings, Tiny Zine articles, etc.
Each chapter expands on the material found in the original sourcebook with new options and new ideas. Whether you are a role-playing n00b or an old grognard, a GM or a player, this book aims to give you a deeper, richer, more enjoyable roleplaying experience.
- Has your Archmage grown tired of relying on the 'protection' of the meat shields in the party? Maybe you'd like to try a Magical Discipline focused on animating dependable magical constructs. (Plus, new construct enemies-- and a new playable heritage!)
- Do you have a Beastspeaker who wants to strike up a conversation with whatever critters can be found a mile deep in the cursed catacombs? You might want to use this random beast generation table for dungeon environments.
- Want your witch to have a fire-breathing imp for a Familiar? Here's a Prestige Trait that lets you summon demons and give them all kinds of nasty new Traits of their own.
- Does your Healer want to be a holy warrior? We've got ideas for generating churches and deities, as well as new divine powers that flow from your faith.
- Ever thought you could use a Shaman in your campaign? Here's how you adapt that Trait for play outside the Spirit World micro-setting, whether for your players or the Enemies they face.
- Is your Spell Reader pestering you with questions about how and where to find new scrolls? This chapter offers you a couple of intriguing possibilities. Plus lots of new scrolls that will rock your world and melt your face. (Maybe literally.)
This book is all about giving you options. I fell in love with TIny Dungeon 2e because of the way it provides starting points from which players and GMs take their own imaginative flights of fancy, rather than chaining them down with strict rules. It’s liberating! And I sincerely hope that this book will empower that kind of free and creative play.
One of the most important parts of any game book is the art, which has an amazing power to fire up the creative juices of both GMs and players. At least six different artists and designers will be contributing their work to the MICRONOMICON.
- Nicolas Giacondino is doing the cover art and full-page images of iconic mages, one for each chapter in Part I.
- Anthony Cournoyer (Shaman Stock Art) is producing new spot art for microsettings.
- Rick Hershey (Fat Goblin Games) is providing additional interior art.
- Robert Denton III is creating logo and title art.
- Reed Hill is doing custom illustrations for microsettings, as well as spot art.
- Jason Aydelotte (Reef's Edge Creative) is doing layout.
We want this to be a beautiful book, with evocative images that grab your attention and spark your imagination. And since the MICRONOMICON is all about the fantastic, impossible, mind-blowing power of magic, our artists get to go a little wild. :)
Check out-- No. Behold this cover image...
Sharing the work between different artists allows us to include a variety of complementary styles for a more exciting visual experience. It also helps us to avoid putting too heavy a burden on any one artist, which means we should have the book done and in your hands as fast as possible (hopefully before our December 2019 estimate).
This is especially important because every stretch goal we reach means even more art, and we want to make sure that no matter how magically delicious this book becomes, it gets to you on time or sooner.
Microsettings and Stretch Goals
Speaking of stretch goals... The second part of the MICRONOMICON contains a number of brand new microsettings designed to let you play with the cool new magic stuff found in the first part of the book. They're written by a variety of different authors and game writers, each one is about 5 or 6 pages, with just enough information to spark your imagination, while leaving you completely in the driver’s seat.
Here's a quick summary of one of the microsettings that will be included in the book:
RULE OF THREE, by John D. Payne
Everyone knows there is white magic and black magic. Everyone is wrong. As the Tripolarity microsetting reveals, beneath the surface of your fantasy world lurks a secret war, an endless struggle between three different kinds of black magic: Necromancy, Demon Summoning, and Eldritch Sorcery.
Whether they know it or not, all other mages are catspaws for one of these three factions, and no matter who wins, mortalkind is doomed. Or so they say. But is the deepest secret of all a conspiracy of hope? Can the world be saved? Choose a faction or reject them all-- the choice is yours.
We have lots more cool microsettings we'd like to include, but first we'll need to hit our stretch goal targets. Tiny Dungeon 2e came with 20 original microsettings. We'd like to beat that number, and with your help, we can.
$2,000 : Stretch 1 UNLOCKED! << Click here for details!
- Art: Four additional full-page black-and-white illustrations of iconic mages, by Nicolás Giacondino.
- Microsetting: THE PRICE OF POWER, by Gregory Israel. When your own lifeforce is the only fuel for magic, what is the price of power? And who will pay?
- Microsetting: THE COST OF SUNSTEEL, by Patrick Tracy. What does your magic sword cost? Just the bodies and souls of those who mine the toxic ore.
$3,000 : Stretch 2 UNLOCKED! << Click here for details!
- Art: Another four full-page black-and-white illustrations of iconic mages, by Nicolás Giacondino. That gets us one iconic mage for every chapter of the book.
- Microsetting: AVALANT, by Christopher Ruocchio. Robot knights quest to save (or destroy) the last human being aboard a massive, crumbling spaceship.
- Microsetting: GODS OF DIAZORR, by Jeffrey L. Scifert. Corruption is everywhere, and so are the Chimeric Pantheon's Ecclesiasts, watching to recruit or remove the Scions who threaten their rule. Demon or Demigod, which will you become?
$4,000 : Stretch 3 UNLOCKED! << Click here for details!
- Art: Illustrations for microsettings, by Anthony Cournoyer.
- Microsetting: INKSLINGERS, by Joe McGee. Arcane tattoos give normal people magical powers...and raise the dead.
- Microsetting: FELLBRIGHT: CITY OF BLISS, by Brad Lyon. In this enchanted desert city of temptation, you can win (or lose) so much more than gold.
$5,000 : Stretch 4 << Click here for details!
- Art: Additional spot art by Rick Hershey.
- Microsetting: THE ONEIRONAUTS, by Josh Vogt. Dreamwalkers keep back the tide of psyche parasites that threaten every innocent who slumbers every night.
- Microsetting: THULE, by Carolyn Ivy Stein and Stephen Stein. Brave snowstorms, vikings, ice witches, saber-toothed cats, and frozen gods as you adventure in the Arctic.
$5,500 : Incarnation of Creation!
- Microsetting: TBA
$6,000 : Incarnation of Creation!
- Microsetting: TBA
$6,500 : Incarnation of Creation!
- Microsetting: TBA
$7,500 : Stretch 5 << Click here for details!
- Art: All-new spot art from Reed Hill.
- Microsetting: CLASH OF THE PASTRIUM: THE GINGERBREAD JOUST, by Mari Murdock. Magical pastry chefs pit their most vicious vivified baked goods against one another in an underground cookie fight club. Let the Gingerbread Joust begin!
- Microsetting: GATE CRASHERS, by David Paul Guzmán. When the Gates appear, Corporations hire supernaturally-enhanced Delvers to plunder what lies beyond!
$8,500 : Stretch 6 << Click here for details!
- More interior art from our talented team. (And maybe mystery artists to be announced.)
- Microsetting: MOTHERS OF INVENTION, by Stephanie Bryant. When we're desperate, in pain, in need, any of us might summon extraordinary power. So why are we surprised that most mages are moms and soldiers?
- Microsetting: DARK ALLEYS OF THE SOUL, by Steve Diamond. Keep your fedora on tight and your spells locked-and-loaded in this hard-boiled noir detective fantasy.
$9,500 : Stretch 7
- More interior art.
- Microsetting: THE SONOROUS, by William L. Munn. In Epithil, music is the only magic, and the Sonorous reign in supreme harmony. But will Discordant rebels spoil the song?
- Microsetting: SONG OF OVERSEA, by Justin Finley. Inspired by Filipino and Polynesian mythology. Use Shamanic and Bardic magic to combat the semidivine leviathans of Undersea, including the monstrous serpent Bakunawa the Scorned.
$10,500 : Stretch 8
- More interior art.
- Microsetting: THE PSI-MAGE WAR, by Shawn Carman. A new psionic virus transforms mages into a hive mind determined to rule the world.
- Microsetting: HOLIDAY HORRORS, by Ezekiel James Boston. Making fun of the Easter Bunny is fun… Until he shows up with eldritch eggbombs.
$11,500 : Stretch 9
- More interior art.
- Microsetting: GOBLIN STAR, by Gama Martinez. Good news: humanity's first magically-powered starship found Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, and even Dragons in space! Bad news: humanity is now embroiled in an interstellar war, and we are not winning.
- Microsetting: THE FORGE, by Quincy J. Allen. Deep in the wild, outcast Half-Elves train with swords and spells to fight monsters, bandits, and even invading armies.
$12,500 : Stretch 10
- More interior art.
- Microsetting: FOOD OF THE GODS, by Brian Fitzpatrick. On Cratus, the gods never stop fighting, or dying. And their divine corpses provide a source of power for mortals daring enough to harvest and consume them. What will you do with your pound of godflesh?
- Microsetting: LOAM, LIFE, AND LOOM: GLIMMER WEAVERS, by Natasha Ence. Glimmer moths spin the thread for Glimmer cloth, which Masters use to alter luck, predict fate, bind and break, conceal and reveal.
$12,000 : Stretch 11
- More interior art
- Microsetting: KNOWLEDGE ARCANA, INC., by Mario Cordova. You are a contractor with KnA Inc., a dungeoneering firm specializing in war zones and politically sensitive areas.
- Microsetting: SNAKE-OIL, by Martin Greening. Brave the dangers of untamed wilderness to hawk your artifices and alchemical wares, derived from the blood of the Cuatl.
As we get close to each stretch goal, we'll share microsetting summaries, along with author bios and headshots. And each time we reach a stretch goal, we'll reveal a new one. Can't wait to share these with you!
Backers' Choice Microsettings
Plus, every time we add another 100 backers, I will put up a backers-only post with three different microsettings and let you all choose which one gets included in the Micronomicon. Rock the vote!
Results of each vote will be announced the next time we hit a 100-vote milestone and open up a new Backers Choice poll.
- BC I (100 Backers) : KEEP ON THE WASTELANDS, by John D. Payne. Defend your Keep against waves of relentless monsters in this fantasy setting for Tiny Wastelands.
- BC II (200 Backers) : MAGE HUNTERS, by John D. Payne. In a broken world ruled by dragons, Dragonbloods hunt down rogue mages in Wild Zones outside mobile Arkologies.
- BC III (300 Backers) : Voting in progress!
- BC IV (400 Backers) : Coming soon!
What's Included in Your Pledge
The basic pledge tier (Acolyte) gets you a copy of the MICRONOMICON in PDF format. The next tier up (Warlock) gets you that plus an at-cost coupon code for a 5.5 in x 8.5 in. softcover. The third tier (Magus) includes both of these plus an at-cost coupon code for a 5.5 in x 8.5 in. hardcover.
Once the book has been completed, backers at every tier above Acolyte will receive at-cost codes to print their books on DriveThruRPG. They can order the books they pledged for and get them shipped directly to them. At-cost coupon codes keep things streamlined for us, which means you get your books faster.
Please keep in mind – backers will still need to pay for shipping costs and the at-cost price of the book. Printing costs are estimated at around $4-5 USD for the softcover, and around $10-12 USD for the hardcover. (Depends on how big the book gets. See below.)
DriveThruRPG provides excellent service and support. We're confident they can help us deliver a beautiful book to all our backers on time.
The first part of the book has been completely drafted (although of course some revisions and edits may be required). Depending on art and layout, it will probably be about 80 pages. The second part of the book has been outlined and writing on stretch goals has already commenced. This may add anywhere from 20 pages to more than 100, depending on how many are funded.
Our reward tiers are mostly nested, like Russian dolls, so if you want rewards from different tiers, you will usually be able to get them by just pledging for the highest tier you want.
However, if you want to double up on a reward tier, just add on the amount of the pledge. For example, if you want two hardcovers, pledge for Magus, and then add on another $15. Or if you want two of your NPCs to appear in the Micronomicon, pledge for Arcane Incarnation, and then add on another $90. (If the pledge tier is limited, please let us know your intention, so we can adjust the number of available pledges remaining.)
We also have other rewards you can add on, listed here below.
We are now offering as an add-on a deck of 52 spell cards, each one inscribed with a spell or spell-like effect (Bard songs, Psionic Talents, Alchemical potions) from the MICRONOMICON. (The final list of which spells are on the cards will be determined after we see which stretch goals we unlock and what spells go in the book.)
Designed to speed up play, the deck can be used as a reference for GMs or players during the game. It can also be used as a random generator for NPC or Enemy wizards, magical trap effects, scrolls found as treasure, magic items, etc.
The deck is also labeled as a deck of playing cards (complete with Jokers) with four unique suits themed for the Rule of Three microsetting. This means you can use this deck to play pretty much any card game, from Texas Hold 'Em to Spades to Go Fish.
And because each card does double duty as both a playing card and a spell card, we have designed some unique games that can be played only with this special deck! (Rules for these games will be included as a PDF.)
For $5, you get the print-and-play PDF and an at-cost code for a physical deck of Micronomicards. Just add $5 for each deck to any pledge level!
SCROLLS OF DIVINITY Add-on
This add-on (also listed as a pledge tier) allows you to purchase the physical originals of Nicolás Giacondino's Iconic Mage illustrations, hand-drawn and signed by the artist. For each original work you want, add $150 to your pledge.
These beautiful one-of-a-kind works are black and white by default, but for another $75, you can get them in glorious full color. And typically they are about half the size of a standard A4 piece of paper, making them easy to frame and find space for on your wall.
Eight illustrations (currently in progress) are available, including the Iconic Mages for the following chapters: Alchemist, Artificer, Beastspeaker, Familiar, Healer, Psionics, Shaman, Spell-Touched. (Contact me for more details.) First to pledge will be first to pick.
Shipping to the US and Canada is included in the cost of the pledge. (Please inquire if you are interested in international shipping.)
INVOCATION OF CREATION Add-on
The Invocation of Creation is an add-on pledge which allows you to choose a new microsetting to include in the book, and (if you want) to help design the art. You may select one that has already been announced, or pick from a list of more than 50 other fantastic microsettings. Unless you prefer to remain anonymous, we will thank you by name both in the acknowledgements of the book and in a Kickstarter update announcing the new microsetting you have chosen.
To conjure the Invocation of Creation, simply add $500 to your pledge and send us a message telling us which microsetting you want. (If you need to see the big list before you make your pick, just let us know.) All other stretch goals will get bumped back $500 to make room for the one you just funded!
First day bonus!
Everyone who pledged at any tier in the first 24 hours received a free PDF copy of my awesome Tiny Trove adventure, "Deep Dive: Traps and Treasures Beneath the City of Wise," from DriveThru RPG.
Deep Dive is an adventure for the Telas de Montas microsetting for Tiny Dungeon 2e. It describes new traps, new enemies, new magical items, and everything you need to quickly and easily generate a super rad dungeon crawl. Fun!
Rated 5/5 stars! Reviewers love it:
- "The 18 pages of Deep Dive are filled with goodies for Game Masters... [and] anyone looking for more dungeon crawling ideas." --Gregory Israel, Blue Oxrat Games.
- "[D]oes so much more" than expand on the original Telas de Montas microsetting. "This is a fantastic toolkit...regardless of the setting." --Mark P.
- "[R]eally well done. You can pick this up and play a one shot, a few session mini-campaign, or a long campaign... This is a MUST for Tiny Dungeon 2e folks and also very useful for ANY fantasy game. A $2.99, this is a steal." --Joe M.
If you missed the first day, Deep Dive is now for sale on DriveThru RPG, and is a low-cost way to get a sample of my game writing.
Crazier and crazier
I have even more stretch goals and add-ons planned out, including some really crazy ones I'll tell you about when we start getting close to $10k. (And I think we will!)
But for now, I just want to say thank you for checking us out, thank you for pledging, thank you for sharing on social media and telling your friends.
Let's create something magical together!
Risks and challenges
The primary challenge is that this is our first Kickstarter. But the project has deliberately been kept simple, manageable, and achievable. Pledges and add-ons are straightforward. The core manuscript is already completely drafted, and writing for stretch goals has been outlined. Stretch goals have been carefully budgeted and require no additional manufacture or shipping, etc. Art is already in progress, and backup artists can step in to assist if required. And if something were to happen to the principal, backups have been put into place who will complete the job. Rest assured, the MICRONOMICON is happening.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)