Lucas Atkinsmith - Violin
Meeta Banerjee - Sitar
Scott Brady - Sax/Bansuri
Atmaram Chaitanya - Tanpura/Vocals
John Churchville - Tabla
Mahesh Ganesan - Kanjira/Percussion
Bidisha Ghosh - Vocals
Anoop Gopal - Violin/Vocals
Dan Ripke - Guitar
Dave Sharp - Bass
Special guest artists Mike List - Percussion, Kashi Walters - Vocals, Peter Madcat Ruth - Jaw Harp
Cover art: Brin Levinson - http://www.brinlevinson.com/
One of the most exciting parts of making music with Sumkali is working with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences and coming together to make something beautiful. This Kickstarter campaign is your opportunity to be an essential part of bringing that beauty into the world. The purpose of this Kickstarter Campaign is twofold: 1. We want to raise enough funds to professionally produce and distribute our third album. 2. We want to connect with YOU and celebrate your support of bringing something beautiful into the world.
It seems like just yesterday, but in fact it was way back in 2003 when Sumkali began to perform our unique brand of what we like to call "Indian Music Made in America". Over the years we have had a wonderful time performing, teaching, and recording our music. It has been a very fun and rewarding journey and we are so excited to take the next step with YOU!
We have been hard at work since last summer composing, arranging and recording our third album entitled "Tihai". Tihai literally means '3 times', which is an extremely important and widely used rhythmic concept in the music of India and a perfect title for our third album! We have, once again, done 90% of the recording on this album on a next-to-nothing budget. Everyone in the group has put in many hours and lots of passion into what is turning out to be a very beautiful and soul-nourishing album. Here is a sample (Keep in mind that this sample is straight from the studio...rough mixed and pre-mastered):
We are very close to finishing up in the studio. Once the tracking is done we will go into post-production - mixing, mastering, graphic design, etc. We plan to be well into the post-production process by the time the kickstarter wraps up. Our plan is to have the album ready to deliver by June/July 2015.
With a contribution to the production and distribution of this album you not only get some great music and some really great rewards, but it also connects you to our Mandali - our circle of friends, (which also happens to be the name of our debut album!). We will stay connected and keep you up to date on all the latest news and events. We are excited for what the future holds and we would love to have you along for the ride!
How the money will be spent
1. Mastering, duplicating, printing and shrink-wrapping 1000 units of the album. The C.D.'s will be in the same format as our second album Chalo, which is a 6 panel, tri-folded digipack.
2. Worldwide digital distribution and licensing, which will put the album on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, C.D. Baby and hundreds more services.
3. Merchandise, including posters, download cards, stickers, etc.
4. Kickstarter campaign costs. These include mailing of rewards, fees charged for the Kickstarter service and perhaps a few other incidentals.
What happens if we exceed the goal?
Wow, so glad you asked! What a great problem to have!! Here are some of the many ways we could use any extra money:
1. Print more units. This is simple...we can increase the amount of C.D. we produce if we go a bit over.
2. Produce our album on Vinyl! To make 200 vinyl records would cost about $2000 more. This would be a great addition to the modern vinyl record collection!
3. Promotion - We can always use money to help promote the band and get us out to more cities. Professional photographs, video, and distribution of our album to radio stations would really give the group a boost!
If we do exceed our goal, we will most definitely reach out to our backers, (that's you), for your input as to how you would like to see the money being spent. We are all in this together!!
Thank you for taking the time to learn about this project. Please check out the many rewards we have to offer to find the one that is right for you. Together we will get this done!!
Risks and challenges
So what could go wrong? Well, we could have printing problems, graphic glitches and mastering mishaps, but who wants to think about all that?!? Honestly, we have done this twice before and we got this! With most of the heavy lifting out of the way, we are very much on track to bringing this project home safely.
If issues do come up, we will let you know ASAP. We take communication with our backers very seriously. Thanks again for taking this ride with us!
- (30 days)