This isn’t your average Kickstarter project…
This is more than just donating to an art project, it’s about becoming part of its creation and seeing your idea come to life.
UNLOCKED! £7,000 Stretch Goal!
Wonderbeasts Special Edition Postcard packs for all my co-creators!
UNLOCKED! £6,000 Stretch Goal!
Wonderbeasts Pin Badges will be on their way to you :)
WE DID IT! £4,000 TARGET MET!
Now for some Stretch Goals! But there's less than 64 hours to go!
£6,000 – Wonderbeasts pin badges for everyone!
£7,000 – Special edition card pack!
£8,000 – (The Biggy!) Hand written and illustrated letter of thanks!
There's more detail on each of the Stretch Rewards here:
QUICK UPDATE #2 - Temporary Tattoos!
If we hit our £4k target by the weekend, I'll send out inky Wonderbeasts tattoos to all my co-creators!
QUICK UPDATE - More beasts for your buck!
Due to lots of queries, I'm happy to share that you can now make multiple suggestions in various categories totalling your pledge amount. Take a peek in the FAQ section at the bottom for more info.
The more weird and wonderful wild things the better!
I’m Johanna; an illustrator and ink evangelist. I create intricate, hand drawn illustrations for clients like Absolut Vodka, Thorntons Chocolates and Crabtree & Evelyn. I've also just made a book with Laurence King! Take a peek at more of my work here. I love drawing, salt caramels and I'm a self confessed pen geek. You can find me on twitter @johannabasford
Wonderbeasts is a co-creation artwork where you become part of the creative process by telling me what to draw. I've created similar crowd-sourced drawings in the past for the Edinburgh Fringe, Smart Car and TwitterPicture, but this is the biggest, most ambitious project I have ever tackled and I want you to be part of the inky adventure!
I’ll be turning a huge blank sheet of paper into a monochrome menagerie of hand drawn insects, animals, birds and mythical creatures, each one suggested by a project backer.
You make a pledge and in return you get to decide what I draw.
The result will be an inky portrait of the Kickstarter Community's wild imagination!
A crowd sourced co-creation sensation!
Pledges & Suggestions
Each level of pledge has an animal category for you to base your suggestion on. For example, pledge £10 and you can suggest a creepy crawlie – maybe a butterfly, a bumble bee or a spider?
Pledge a little more and you can take your pick from woodland creatures or our feathered friends – a flamingo or a parrot perhaps?
More still and we’re into the realms of ocean dwellers and safari giants before finally reaching the mythical and extinct beasts.
From beetles to ravens, tortoises to zebras, snails to dinosaurs, there’s a pledge and a suggestion for every pocket and imagination.
How it Works
- Select your pledge amount and Wonderbeast category e.g. Reptiles, Safari, Feathers etc
- Dream up your suggestion. You can keep it simple, or go wild and put me to the test, just make sure it fits within your category.
- Pledge away!
- When the funding period closes, I'll send you an email asking for your suggestion.
- Respond within 48 hours to ensure your suggestion is included (there's no time for hanging around!)
- I’ll then draw the final illustration featuring every single suggestion I receive and together we’ll create this super sized artwork!
- Bragging Rights! Pledgers become co-creators and will be named in the list of contributing artists alongside the final piece; on my website, in my upcoming Wonderlands book and when it is exhibited at my solo show at the DCA in May 2013 - come and see the artwork you helped create in a gallery! The final artwork will be exhibited as part of my solo show at the DCA from 4th May – 7th July 2013.
- Tagged! I’ll publish a digital version which will have your name tagged to your suggestion so you can pinpoint exactly which owl, spider or dolphin is yours. Lay claim to your little piece of inky history!
- Film I'm creating a film documenting the project from start to finish which will of course feature your name in the credits! You'll get a special sneak preview before it goes live, then we'll upload to the world wide web so you can post it on your Facebook / send it to your Granny etc etc.
- Postcards A5 (8.3 x 5.8 inches) little inky beauties, signed and dated.
- Prints Limited edition silk screen prints in crisp opaque black ink on specially selected paper stock. Lovingly hand printed by me, signed, dated and edition numbered and with a little certificate of authenticity. *For print sizes in inches and mm's, take a peek in the updates section.*
- Original Artwork Lucky Dip sections or your suggestion of the original hand drawn artwork along with a certificate of authenticity. Own a very special and unique piece of the project, signed, dated and complete with sketchy pencil lines and smudgy fingerprints!
- Book The project (and your name as a co-creator!) will feature in my forthcoming book, Wonderlands. Signed copies with a unique, special edition silk screen printed cover will be sent as rewards.
- You! Your name or initials secretly hidden within the artwork - I'll send you details of it's location!
Furthermore, I've got a few sneaky bonus rewards in the pipeline if it looks like we're going to shatter the funding target (I believe the cool kids call these Stretch Goals... Watch this space for details on stickers, pin badges and tattooooooos!
I have just 3 weeks to complete the project: collating all your suggestions, sketching, inking and printing the artwork for the exhibition; this means long days and lots of drawing!
Keep an eye on how our artwork is shaping up, spot your suggestion as it's inked and brag to your friends about the cool project you are involved with! I'll be posting regular updates:
- Here on Kickstarter
- On my blog
- Instagram (search for 'johannabasford')
It's all about You!
Without you, this project won't happen.
It's your suggestions that will shape the artwork and your pledges that will fund it. I'll provide the drawing skills, lots of enthusiasm and as many updates along the way as you can tolerate!
The lovely people at Cult Pens have donated all the pens I’ll require (my beloved Staedtler Pigment Liners!) but I still need your help to raise £4,000 by Sunday 10th March to cover 3 weeks of studio costs, lots of paper, a heck of a lot of screen printing, some fancy web wizardry that will allow me to tag your suggestions and of course video editing / photography.
This is more than just donating to an art project, it’s about becoming part of its creation and seeing your idea in black and white.
Together we can make something truly awesome :)
Fear is Good!
Inundated with suggestions? This isn't a problem, it's an opportunity in disguise! Every suggestion will be drawn, so lots of suggestions = a bigger canvas and a more complex final image. #win
Let's Make This Happen!
Thank you for reading this far. I hope this little taster of the project has tickled your curiosity and sparked your imagination.
Let's make some inky magic!
Risks and challenges
This is a big, ambitious project, which means there are some big, scary parts to it (aside from the obvious perils of hand cramp!)
My previous interactive drawings; TwitterPicutre, Smart Car and my work for the Edinburgh Fringe have all helped prepare me for this, my ultimate co-creation adventure! I’ve factored in 3 weeks for it's creation, I usually have between 24 - 48 hours.
No matter what happens, each and every one of you will have your suggestion appear on the final artwork. Every reward will be made and delivered.
It’s the very nature of uncertainty (how many suggestions will I receive and what will I have to draw?!) that makes this project so exciting and pushes me out with my comfort zone. The final drawing will be an eclectic snap shot of the inky imaginations of the Kickstarter community.
I’ve assembled a wonderful team of helpers and collaborators to assist with the printing, photographing, filming and editing. Together, we make a pretty awesome team. This allows me to concentrate on the drawing. Teamwork makes the dreamwork.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Hell yea! More Beasties for your Buck!
What’s better than suggesting one wild thing for the Wonderbeasts illustration? Suggesting 2 of course! I’ve tweaked things a little to allow you to make multiple suggestions for your pledge. Basically, you’ll now be able to get more beasties for your buck! More suggestions means a busier, more complex final drawing #win!
So, here’s how it works:
1. Pledge as much as you like, for example say you pledge £90.
2. Decide how you would like your pledge to be broken down, i.e. 2 x Woodland Creatures & 1 x Creepy Crawlie
3. When funding closes you’ll receive an email asking for your suggestions. Reply within 48 hours with your creature requests!
4. Let me know whether you would like to have the accumulative reward (i.e. the £90 one) or the various smaller rewards added together.
What’s a little extra admin if it leads to a more awesome final artwork?!
Any questions just drop me an email to hello(at)johannabasford(dot)com
Let’s make some inky magic! Jx
Of course! Wether you're pledging for someone as a gift, want to use a hilarious (but not rude) nickname, your Twitter handle or are in witness protection, just make a note of the name you'd like your suggestion tagged to in the email containing your suggestion and I'll dually oblige. Your wish is my tagging command ;)
I've had a few emails from co-creators across the globe asking for clarification on print sizes. My bad, I forget the A5 / A2 / A1 system can get lost in translation!
So, in case you were wondering...
A5 Postcards will be 210 x 148mm or 8.3 x 5.8 inches
A2 Screen prints will be 594 x 420mm or 23.4x16.5 inches
A1 Screen Prints will be 841 x 594mm or 33.1 x 23.4 inches
A0 Screen Prints will be 1189 x 841mm or 46.8 x 33.1 inches
Support this project
- (17 days)