I'm Joe Justice, Team Lead of Team WIKISPEED. I’d like to invite you to a hands-on classroom experience on (re)launching your team or company using eXtreme Manufacturing to decrease the cost and time of new product development; and if we are lucky we’ll have a great time in the process. This is new; we’ve been teaching and coaching Scrum teams for fast new product development and then separately working with hardware teams to accelerate using Scrum. I’d like to see if there are folks interested in participating in this business process experiment. If we pull this off, this will be The Grand Ultimate new business experience: Packing all the classroom experience of a Scrum launch (agile teams delivering quickly) and advanced principles class with hands on experience building a complex hardware deliverable in real time. We’ll create a WIKISPEED ultra-efficient car from end to end together as a pack of Scrum teams using eXtreme Manufacturing process.
Our method, eXtreme Manufacturing, describes how Team WIKISPEED was able to design, develop, and build a 100mpg car in less than 3 months. Team WIKISPEED continues to produce weekly iterations of the car, and we just opened a mass production site built around teams to scale the cost benefits of flow-based mass production with the low cost of new product developments achieved with Scrum.
I’ve been running around the world for the past few years working with companies making everything from tractors to missiles. We’ve been working on perfecting Scrum in hardware, and after seeing the same sort of productivity increases we see with software in hardware, We think I’ve got it with XM.
Now, with your support, I will bring Scrum and XM to the people in a new eXtreme Manufacturing class that marries theory with hands-on work to deliver a comprehensive learning experience. We'll get the Scrum, Agile, and eXtreme Manufacturing concepts in class time, and cement them hands on building a car together across 2 days. Folks will complete the course with all of the practices to accelerate new product development in software and hardware.
The Elements of eXtreme Manufacturing
Scrum provides the basic framework for XM teams. We borrow the Scrum practice of small and cross-functional teams working iteratively in sprints. XM employs Scrum tools (such as a scrum board and a product backlog) to maintain transparency. It uses the Lean concept of continuous improvement and the Scum practice of measuring process improvement through velocity.
eXtreme Programing (XP) has influenced many XM best practices:
- User stories help drive develop from an end-user perspective.
- Pairing allows a small team to swarm on a particular task, while cross-training employees and building quality control into the manufacturing process.
- Test Driven Development, or TDD, dramatically speeds up time-to-market and lower development costs. Team WIKISPEED for example used real-time crash test data to build a computer program that simulates an actual crash test. They were able to save millions of dollars in crash tests by simulating them each Sprint. After a number of Sprints accumulating data, WIKISPEED pays for another physical test. The new information is then used to up-date the computer simulation. This lowers material costs since WIKISPEED doesn’t have to destroy a car each time they want to test it and it reduces production costs because crash tests are expensive.
Object-Oriented Architecture greatly reduces the cost of change to XM products through:
- Modularity allows for innovative design while building on iterative development. It prevents engineering challenges from rippling through the entire design. For example, the Team WIKISPEED car is divided into eight modules, which allows the team to change the suspension system, speedometer or car body at any point and not have to tweak the chassis to make the improved components fit.
- Contract First Design: As manufacturing matures, more and more customers are insisting on custom designs. XM embraces customization before the manufacturing process even starts. For example, WIKISPEED takes only custom orders of its commuter cars and is able to easily meet each customer’s need because of the car’s modularity.
The result of XM?
Risks and challenges
While we have built and delivered the individual components that will comprise this course before, nobody has yet put these elements together in one course. We might over-flow the 2-day schedule of May 1 and 2, or find it difficult to transition back and forth from lecture to hands on build. By using an agile approach and working with the attendees to ramp up the awesome, we expect to not only pull this off but have a great time together.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The class will be hosted at WIKISPEED's Lynnwood, WA, USA shop, which is accessible by light rail and bus from Seattle SEATAC (SEA) airport. The shop is nestled (NESTLED!) between highways I5 and 405, convenient from either. The shop address is 21002 44th Ave W, Lynnwood, WA, 98036, USA.
Driving and public transportation directions are available here. http://wikispeed.org/contactus/
Virtual shop tour is posted here (note, the shop is being remodeled currently for this class; get ready for awesome): https://www.youtube.com/watch…
Embassy Suites Seattle (Hilton) - 20610 44th Ave West, Lynnwood, WA 98036. (425) 775-2500. 5 min walk to WIKISPEED shop.
Almost as Close and usually a little cheaper:
La Quinta Inn Lynnwood - 4300 Alderwood Mall Boulevard, Lynnwood, WA 98036. (425) 775-7447. laquintaseattlelynnwood.com. 15 min walk to WIKISPEED shop.
Almost as Close and a little Nicer:
Courtyard Seattle North (Marriott) - 4220 Alderwood Mall Boulevard, Lynnwood, WA 98036. (425) 670-0500. 15 min walk to WIKISPEED shop.
There is an EXQUISITE stay that is a 16 minutes drive away outside rush hour- highly recommended: http://www.willowslodge.com/
I'd request one of their two "Herb Farm" rooms if available. Your spouse will love you forever.
Then, if you really want to make both you and your spouse extremely happy, reserve in advance a dinner at the Herb Farm on the same property as Willows: http://www.theherbfarm.com/
The Herb Farm is very expensive, (I've saved up and had my mind blown their twice), but it is truly one of the best restaurants in the world and actually quite a value considering the number of courses and matched wines per course included in the price. If it can be in your range, it is a memory to last a lifetime. We took my wife's mother there and she cried, saying she had never had food like that before. My wife cried too. It was amazing.
1) Sign up to help us launch the course, and book any non-refundable travel after the course receives 10 sign-ups and is funded!
2) If somehow we don't get 10 sign-ups and the course isn't able to be funded, WIKISPEED will still host a public build party that Thursday night (May 1st) and folks will at least get to be hands on with Team WIKISPEED from 7pm to 10pm, and hang out with Joe for an evening of Maximum Awesome, and beer.
2.5) We fully expect the course to be funded, we only need 10 folks in total to guarantee this awesome takes place. Awesome!
Support this project
- (58 days)