I've grown up in a safe neighborhood with access to an amazing education and healthcare. I've never had to worry about where my next meal is coming from or not having running water.
What I have taken for granted my whole life, millions of people will NEVER have access to at all.
I have decided to take action!
I have studied development initiatives and programs and have secured an internship with an incredible organization that sets up micro-finance, entrepreneurship, healthcare, and women's empowerment to rural areas. They set up the infrastructure for change and community development. Working with them I know I can make an impact and encourage others to do the same.
I will not only be implementing these programs, but measuring their success.
This will benefit the people, but also the development organizations because they will get a comprehensive report on what is working and what isn't.
This is a huge undertaking and I am so excited about it! I have decided to hold off on an amazing opportunity at New York University and instead I will be taking a year off and packing my bags this October for Uttar Pradesh. I am confident that I will learn more about the world and myself than I ever would in a classroom. I am beyond ready to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity!
- volunteer and intern in Uttar Pradesh, India
- help to eliminate poverty by implementing micro-finance institutions, education programs, and healthcare
- research and report the effects of these programs
- connect with rural villagers and identify their needs
- learn from a different culture and way of life
- gain valuable work experience
- explore faraway lands and have a ton of adventures
WHY I NEED YOUR CA$H
- transportation! the cost of getting around throughout the entire trip which includes taxis, shuttles, and airfare
- accommodation! basic food (rice and spice) and staying with a host family or hostel
- funding the programs! most of the money made on this kickstarter will go directly to the micro-finance, women's empowerment, healthcare, and education programs I will be working with!
(I will be traveling on a very tight budget to make this trip a reality. I am staying with a host family, eating basic food, and really only spending money on the bare necessities. Any money over and above what is needed will be donated to the people of Uttar Pradesh.)
WHAT AND WHERE
specific location- Uttar Pradesh, India
project- community development
duration- 4 to 6 months
accommodation- host family and volunteer housing
I will be:
- overseeing micro-enterprise
- supervising education initiatives
- initiating programs to reach destitute women and help rebuild their self esteem
- teaching english and proper health and sanitation practices
- assisting villagers in entrepreneurial activities
- writing and proposals and reports
- volunteering in orphanages and women's groups in my spare time
THE GOAL AND CO$T
**All donations over and above the goal will be donated to improve the programs I will be working with**
Updates will be posted regularly here and on my BLOG, so stay tuned! (www.ifyouneverdid.com)
- (46 days)