About this project
MUG LIFE IS—
- A roadtrip through WY, MT, WA, OR, ID, UT, AZ and CA for 16 weeks.
- Each place visited I will be telling the story of people and their favorite mugs through photography and audio interviews.
- My journey and stories will live online on this beautiful website—muglifeproject.com
- Through all of this I hope to inspire and remind people of the power of community and how it can be created with something as simple as a mug.
Background || A few years back I spent some time on the road, traveling with a non-profit and raising awareness of those whose voices have gone on unheard. During this time I quickly learned about the kindness of strangers and the power of sharing stories. Little did I know that experience would start to develop the heart behind this project and would lead me to where I am now—typing these words into Kickstarter and looking forward to encouraging others to experience what I have grown to know and love.
Over the past year I have watched this idea grow from a funny name into a full blown direction for my life thanks to the community of loving people in my life encouraging me to go for it. Plans are being finalized, routes mapped, website so close to being finished, equipment collected, advice received, and so many emails sent. The only piece left is the funding to help make all of this possible.
The Nitty Gritty || This is a series that focuses on people and their favorite mugs. A mug can say a lot about a person and shares a unique glimpse at who a person is. But Mug Life isn’t simply about getting glimpses, it’s about taking the time to listen and learn from others. Each interview will explore the meaning of community; how that person has experienced it and lessons learned along the way. With that being said, Mug Life is equal parts photography and interview-style journalism while artfully exploring the relationship between still images and audio.
get a behind the scenes look by following me on Instagram @jmeshe and by checking out the hashtag—#muglifeproject.
The Route ||
- San Francisco, CA
- Jackson, WY
- Bozeman, MT
- Seattle, WA
- Portland, OR
- Boise, ID
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Phoenix, AZ
- San Diego, CA
The hope for this time is to travel slow and to spend a few weeks at a time in each state leaving plenty of room to experience what each place has to offer and meet the people that live there. If you live along this route and would like to be a part of this journey, please see the rewards on the right. There are opportunities to meet me along the route or even to be a part of the project.
Ways to support || Kickstarter is about all or nothing so if I don't reach my goal before the time is up, I won't receive any of it. That is why I need your help! There are many ways to support this project. Sharing this with your friends and family would be a huge help. The main ways to support are by donating to help make this happen.
- Be My Pen Pal || Along my travels, I will be picking up postcards from each place I visit. Back this project for $10 and get a handwritten note from me while on the road! You will also get the inside scoop during the gearing up for this trip and be in the loop through this whole process.
- Mug Life || Be a part of Mug Life by backing this project for $25 and receive a unique mug, hand selected by yours truly along with a note about where it was found.
- Be My Mug Life Pal || Back this project for $35 and receive a unique mug, hand selected by yours truly along with a note about where it was found AND a postcard during my travels aka a combo pack of the top two choices.
- Mega Mug Pal + Art || Back this project for $50 and receive a mug collected while traveling, a postcard with handwritten note and a set of 2 illustrated 5x7 prints inspired by the mugs documented on this journey. There will be a handful of options to choose from for the prints—photographs, portraits, illustrations, etc. This will develop as the project does.
- Lets Be Friends || Back this project for $150 and lets work it out so our paths cross while I am traveling. I'd love to meet you, give you a mug I've collected along the way and share a cup of joe with you. We can talk about life, how you feel about where you live and saunter around your city and snap photos together. **Please be within 20 miles of posted route**
- Mug Life Photoshoot || Back this project for $200 and we'll include everything from the 'Let's Be Friends' package AND we will have an hour long photo session of your choice—portrait, family, roommate christmas card photos, new years update pictures, engagement, etc. You'll receive digital negatives from the shoot to use as you'd like. **Please be within 20 miles of posted route**
- Mug Life Spotlight || Back this project for $300 and you get to be a part of the soul of this trip. I will meet you at your home, photograph our time together, include your nuggets of wisdom in the project and add our time together to the website for the world to see! **Please be within 20 miles of posted route or willing to fly me out to you**
Funding breakdown || The funding from this kickstarter will go towards
- travel expenses—gas, car maintenance, oil changes.
- living expenses—for eating, drinking and staying alive.
- shipping expenses—fulfilling Mug Life orders.
Follow along this journey via instagram at @jmeshe and look for ways to be a part of this project through the #muglifeproject. Thank you for reading this far.
Risks and challenges
For months I have been collecting mugs to use specifically for this kickstarter. I have been searching far and wide for these magical vessels and am always able to find them. If between now and December there is a rapture of all mugs, I will need some time to take a few pottery classes and learn how to make some mugs to fulfill these rewards.
Other things to take note—The absolute latest you will be receiving your rewards is by January 2015. I will be working on fulfilling these rewards as the trip is taking place and will be shipping items out in waves.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (25 days)