Project Progress - Making a book
Over the last few weeks, I have been absorbing the new photographs from this project. There's a certain amount of distance that I need to take in order to present the best final project, so I can look critically and objectively at my work at make the right decisions about how to present it as a whole. This project added about 250 photos to my repertoire, about 100 or so of which will make it to the final product. Making those decisions is very difficult, but about a week ago I got to the point where I could do that.
Once I did that, the challenge was figuring out how to "build" it. My last work, Khamra Obscura, was huge but the organization was built into the concept. It was temporal and sequential. This project is the opposite. I could randomize the photos, but I think ultimately that is not the best way to tell the story and get the most out of the potential. I came up with a way that embraces the concept of the non-temporality and the changing story by choosing the "milestone" photographs and arranging them in an order that forms a framework. I'm taking the rest of the 75 or so and using them to expand on those ideas, putting them between the milestones.
The "main collection" book that I will self-publish through Blurb, as I have done my last two books, will have the full set of 100 photos in the locked sequence, and the artist books (which will be shorter) will use those milestones and tell an alternate story by rearranging the intermediate shots between.
Right now, I'm about 60% of the way through ordering the images for the full version, and making progress every night. It's a difficult thing to do--like writing a poem, but you can only rearrange the words you have. Putting more in the front changes how long it takes to get to the climax, and putting too much at the end extends the denouement.
That's where I am right now! If you haven't seen the photos yet, I hope you will check them out on flickr -- read back a couple of posts from here for instructions on how to get them.