About this project
~September 4th UPDATE:
7000 Stretch Goal Unlocked! More info HERE.
~September 3rd UPDATE:
Please see our 48 Hour Update for additional access to add-ons for ALL tier levels, as well as a new add-on!
~August 26th UPDATE:
We aren't done yet! The project has reached its initial goal BUT there is still time to grab these amazing (!and often exclusive!) kickstarter rewards-- as well as set the next project (the second audiobook) on the road to success!! Please see below for more information about our Stretch Goals.
Author JJ Sherwood, with her team of incredible talent - editor Alexandra Birr, artist Kirk Quilaquil, webdesigner and manager Michael Broering, and voice actor Matthew Lloyd Davies - are excited to bring you the next step in the Steps of Power series: the Kings or Pawns audiobook.
The Kings or Pawns audiobook will allow fantasy fans the ability to immerse themselves in the epic series while carrying on with their hectic lives. Multi-tasking has never been more rewarding! - You can turn even the most mundane trip into a battle between the forces of good and evil.
The year is 8994 P.E., and the city of Elvorium is corrupted - rotted to the core by the machinations of depraved politicians. With his father dead and the country facing a rebellion, Prince Hairem becomes the king of the elven world of Sevrigel in one of its most turbulent points in history.
Young and daring, Hairem is determined to eradicate the corruption festering in Elvorium's self-serving and all-powerful council, which thwarts his best intentions at every turn. But Hairem's problems are far more sinister - and deadly - than merely political. The loyal members of the council are being savagely murdered by an assassin loosed within the city - an assassin whose brutality knows no bounds.
Outside of the city, the Lord Saebellus wages a vicious rebellion against the capital. He has been thwarted thus far by the brilliant General Jikun, and Hairem is certain that the general can crush Saebellus. But instead of continuing the campaign against the warlord, the council orders Jikun's army to be split, sending him on a mission that furthers only their own wealth and power. Jikun knows that the council's demands will leave Elvorium vulnerable to an attack from the formidable warlord. Although Saebellus has been recently defeated, he is far from vanquished.
As corruption and death threaten to tear the city apart from within, the rebel Saebellus seizes the opportunity to lay siege to Sevrigel's eastern capital and unleash his most powerful weapon yet: a demonic beast that neither weapon nor magic can kill. With the elven world crumbling around him, Hairem is grasping for his own power to fight against the forces that threaten Sevrigel. Will Hairem overcome the council's scheming and duplicity? Can General Jikun defeat the warlord Saebellus? Will this be the war that finally brings Sevrigel to its knees?
Kings or Pawns is just one of many novels to come. The world of Aersadore is vast, its history long, and its future great. This is a series you can step into and you never have to leave. Heroes or Thieves will be released in February 2016, Gods or Men in 2016, and Princes or Paupers 2017. And this series is just the beginning. There are countless races, characters, and even writing styles that will be addressed to make every novel perfect, thrilling, and entirely unique.
Welcome to the new high fantasy series of Steps of Power!
Kings or Pawns, as well as the rest of the Steps of Power series, is geared for adults. (While I'm not a fan of comparing my work to other authors), fans of Dragonlance, Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Brandon Sanderson will find themselves thrilled to add another fantasy classic to their shelves.
But more than that, Steps of Power is not just for High Fantasy fans. Fans of political intrigue, thrillers, and drama have found themselves right at home within these pages. Like Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire, there is far more to this world and its depth than magic and dragons.
- JJ Sherwood is the full-time author of Steps of Power. She's been writing since kindergarten and orchestrates the lives and deaths of the hundreds of characters in Aersadore with much passion and excitement. When not writing, she is obsessively cleaning, cat wrangling, crafting, gaming, and potato munching.
- Alexandra graduated from St. Mary's University with a BA in English. A lifelong passion for engaging in lively and (most importantly) grammatically correct books led her to a career in editing, and she has now been editing books for six years. In addition to editing, Alexandra can be found reading, slaying spiders, spending time with family, and trying not to freeze in the winter.
- Michael is the manager and webdesigner for the series. He ensures the business end runs smoothly, deadlines are met, boxes are carried, and the website doesn't spit you out into a dark corner of a troll cave. In addition to these tasks, Michael enjoys cosplaying, programming, gaming, and cat hoarding.
- Kirk Quilaquil, from Great Britian, is a musician and the primary artist for The Kings series. His works have been featured in Imagine FX, Game Informer, Its Art Mag, and more! He currently works for Microsoft Studio as a full time concept artist and recently worked on the MMO Sea of Thieves, revealed at E3.
- Matthew Lloyd Davies is the narrator for Kings or Pawns. He is an English-based tv, stage, and voice actor and has completed over 30 audiobooks. He is hardworking, passionate, and incredibly talented.
Like the other projects involved with Steps of Power - the art, editing, voice actor, and website - are chosen based on quality. Creating an Audiobook is a very expensive undertaking, and like all of our other projects, we do not want to cut corners. That's why we are looking for you to join our team and bring this project to life!
100% of your support will go to Steps of Power - production, printing, shipping, taxes, and tier rewards.
Physical Add-ons Require Tiers Above $35.
How to include add-ons in your pledge:
- On the Kings or Pawns audiobook Kickstarter site, press the "Manage Your Pledge" Button. It will say "Back this Project" if you have not yet pledged.
- In the "Pledge Amount" box, increase your pledge by the total amount required for all of the add-ons that you want to add. Do not change your pledge tier (unless you also want to change the tier at which you are pledging).
After the Kickstarter campaign ends you will receive a survey that you can use to explain which add-ons you chose.
**KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE** All tiers $10 and up will receive the Kings or Pawns ebook BEFORE it's official October 1st release!
All other orders will ship in October EXCEPT for the HEROES OR THIEVES PRE-RELEASE EBOOK (Estimated: December 2015), and the Kings or Pawns HARDCOPY AUDIOBOOK and DIGITIAL DOWNLOAD, and which will not be available until its completion (Estimated: Jan 2016).
+INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING is for outside of the U.S.A. orders only.
The Following Items are the Choice Items for the Tiers
Risks and challenges
The book is written, the team assembled and ready to go, and the products have been test ordered. The only possible hurdle I see is a delay with recording - but we have allowed ample time to meet our deadlines. In the event that things are delayed, you will be notified immediately. No matter what, if this project is funded, it will go on. If, for some tragic reason out of our control, we lose our narrator, we shall search the seven seas to find someone on par with his quality. The show shall go on!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)