We've been doing our best to reply to individual comments and requests for tracking/status in a timely manner. Here is an update on the status of the orders.
US - All orders (including backpacks) Have been shipped.
It seems many (but not all) backers with backpack orders did not receive a Deluxe Book in their shipments. We've done our best to reship books to those folks. But let us know if you're missing a book!
EU/CA - All orders have been shipped, mostly...
We've been hearing several issues from EU/CA backers about items not arriving. Here is a breakdown of what happened:
- We sent in the shipping list on 9.23.18.
- After hearing several issues - investigated the files that were sent to the warehouse vs a fresh export from backerkit.
- We discovered a large discrepancy of backers that were not on the original list sent on 9.23.
- Why can't we just email the backers who weren't on the original list you may ask? Well, we tried to find those specific folks in the data, and it's just not clear who's orders were sent, and who's weren't. Long story short. The data exports for both files are organized in a way that we cannot pick apart the SPECIFIC backers between the two files in the list of 3000 orders. If you haven't received your book by now, please contact us at email@example.com and we'll look into your order specifically (if we aren't already).
As a result, we've been doing our best to address issues as they've been coming up, either via email or comments on the page. We don't really have a 'one shot fix' solution to make up the discrepancies, so we're just trying to handle people who are saying they didn't get their book. On top of that, we haven't been getting a timely enough response from the EU/CA warehouse for reships to accommodate the (with good reason) upset backers - some orders we've even resent from the US, occurring VATS - which is the thing we were trying to avoid by doing all of this in the first place!
It also doesn't help that CA is dealing with a postal strike at the moment.
AU/JP/East Asia - Orders were sent out today.
The boat has arrived, but because of the issues above with CA/EU - we've been checking/double checking to make sure everything is correct. We sent the order file in last night and confirmed at 6:30am PT that it was received and being processed. (to the 2 people who ordered backpacks, we'll ship them separately from the US).
Needless to say, shipping on this project hasn't been kind to us.
TLDR (I don't care about your problems! Where is my book!?):
If you haven't received your order by now AND are in CA/EU, AND we don't have an email out with you individually, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our best to get you your product ASAP.
I am sure this update is going to come with a wave of comments about how terribly we are at our jobs/why didn't we see this coming/how irresponsible we are. We get it, it sucks when you put your money to something and all you get is a bunch of 'why it isn't in yet' when all you want is your stuff.
One of the reasons we are on Kickstarter is because we are a small (but growing!) company. At the end of the day, we are still a pretty small team, and most of the fulfillment has been handled by 2 people. However, we hate that for many of you this has been a difficult Kickstarter - some going so far as to say they'll never back anything from us ever again. That sucks. But we get it.
This project has made us realize we need to make some big changes if we want to grow and continue to do projects that don't result in issues like what we experienced on this project.
Some of those changes are:
- Ship ALL products directly from the plant to any overseas warehouses. Not to the US first.
- Deliver all print files so that product ships out at the same time, in the same container.
- Ask pricing for Tracking from warehouses, and bake that into the S&H costs.
- Hire a part-time Customer Service staff to handle ALL issues/requests as Kickstarters are going into delivery.
- Double/triple/quadruple check backer export files before they go out, even if it means doing the work over again.
No matter what, at the end of the day - we really appreciate ALL OF YOU, that took the time to support this project and bring Kids on Bikes into the world.
Seeing things like photos of peoples games and hearing stories on the forums and community groups out there (did we mention there is an official Kids on Bikes PODCAST? or that Patrick Rothfuss is playing Kids on Bikes with ONE SHOT RPG?) has really warmed our hearts and makes our team smile.
We have lots of plans for Kids On Bikes in the future, and we hope you'll stay with us for the adventures to come.
OFF TO THE NEXT ADVENTURE!