Sekrets: The Mobile App With Something To Hide (Canceled)
The Ultimate in Secure and User Friendly Privacy Protection on your Mobile Device.
This Kickstarter project is to fund the completion of the development and UI design of an app for very securely storing sensitive photos, documents, and other files on mobile devices. (iOS and Android)
A unique feature of this Kickstarter Project is that the Backers can get a lot of exposure for their creativity in the rewards they choose.
What do I need the money for?
From the screenshots, you can see that its not pretty. The first $500 will go towards putting makeup on it. Additional funds will go towards the development of the Android version. The more funds I raise the more time I have to work on it.
What do Kickstarters get?
Unfortunately, I can't take your money and give you an app; Apple frowns on this, and I don't want to get the app removed from the app store when it gets there. Instead, the rewards are in the form of Easter Eggs! Happy belated Easter!
Easter Eggs in apps, if you didn't know, are images, text, or features that show up when you hit the right sequence of keys or gestures. In this case, YOU specify what the password is for Easter Eggs that YOU made. This can be (depending on the reward level) anything from a little text message, like 'Billay & Pinky forever!', or 'Spartans rule!', to a short story you once wrote, to a picture of you juggling 6 chainsaws, to a website snapshot of reddit the day you made the front page. Anything you want to show off, and you own the rights to is fair game! The sky's the limit! (Anything that would get the app removed from any of the app stores of course is not allowed.)
To unlock your Easter Egg(s), the user simply enters your password. You can make this password obvious (like the user name on the thank you screen), or only release it on your website, or just let your closest friends know. Unless they guess it, nobody will see your Easter Egg unless you want them to!
Additional items at all reward levels are discussed below.
Why do we need another app like this?
Like most people with a mobile device, I have at one time or another wondered about the wisdom of keeping photos and other files on my device that I wouldn't want other people to see. I took a look at the app stores and couldn't find any that I felt were secure enough. Namely:
1) I want the files to be encrypted. Its not enough that the app doesn't let me view the files without entering the correct password. Its not difficult to gain access to the filesystem and grab and view any non-encrypted files.
2) I don't want the password for the files to be stored anywhere on my mobile device. If there's a password file, even if encrypted, there's a possibility of someone getting access to it, decrypting it if its not plaintext, and having access to all the files stored.
3) I don't want anyone to know what files I have encrypted. Showing a file but not allowing me to view it until I enter the right password gives away too much information. I shouldn't even see that there are any files if I don't enter the right password.
4) Further on #3, I don't want the encrypted files to give any kind of meaningful information to a hacker that might be able to get into my filesystem.
5) I should only be able to sync unencrypted files. Encrypted files shouldn't be shown in any form outside of the app. Any external access means that someone can see that there's something hidden, which make it easier to pull the files off of my mobile device, and get them decrypted at their leisure.
6) I want to have 'decoy' passwords and files so that if I'm forced somehow to give up a password, I can give them a decoy password that will give them access to what are really just decoy files. Different passwords decrypt different files.
7) I don't want all my encrypted files shown lumped together in one giant list. I also don't want to see them lumped together by file type. I want to organize my encrypted files into the folders I decide they should go in.
8) Once decrypted, I should be able to use the data in whatever way I want, as easily as possible.
The Solution: Sekrets
I believe I have solved all of these issues in my mobile app, Sekrets.
In Sekrets, no passwords are stored anywhere, even temporarily. You can organize your files into as many folders as you like. When you enter a password, it attempts to decrypt all of the encrypted files, showing only those files that are successfully decrypted. Folders with no decrypted files are not shown. Encrypted files are stored with a randomly generated name, but inside the app, the original name is shown; the original name is encrypted with the file data. Encrypted files also have random data before and after the actual file data to make brute force decryption more difficult. The only files that can be synced are the unencrypted files. Encryption/decryption is as easy as dragging the files between folders. Viewing the files is transparent to the user, and doesn't involve creating temporary files that are not encrypted.
Sekrets also has a number of ways to import files, via your photo album, camera, or copy/paste. Even entire web pages can be archived and stored as one file. Exporting files is equally as flexible and easy to use. You can copy (for later pasting), export to your photo album, tweet, or email.
I'm so confident in Sekrets' ability to keep your files secure, I'm going to include the zipped up source code for Sekrets as an encrypted file!
The iOS version is fully functional, so what do I need Kickstarters for?
Quite simply, I'm an app developer, not an artist. The initial $500 will go towards mobile app UI designing for Sekrets. (ie making it look pretty.) The iOS version has been developed in my spare time, as will the Android version initially. If the project makes more than the $500 minimum, the extra will go towards accelerating the android development by allowing me to take time off work to dedicate to the development. All the features in the iOS version that are possible on the Android platform will be added and vice versa.
Additionally, I've found that many Kickstarters love being a part of the projects they back. I'm looking forward to suggestions and constructive criticism from those that become beta testers, or later become owners of the app. I look forward to making Sekrets better with your help!
What do we get besides the Easter Eggs?
Unfortunately, giving away copies of Sekrets is not possible due to Apple's strict policies. It would also undermine one of the goals of making the app popular, through your initial purchase, on the app stores, which in turn generates more sales. The positive side is that I intend to sell it for $1 initially.
Keep in mind that the description of the levels ('Bathroom Stall Scrawler' for example) are only suggestions. You can put whatever kind of data you want as long as its within the size of the reward you back.
For Android backers, you are invited to beta test Sekrets, and have input on changes or features you'd like. For iOS, I'm unfortunately limited to 60 devices. The top iOS backers interested in beta testing will be chosen for this.
All backers of this project also will get a 'Protected by Sekrets' sticker (designed by the UI designer) to put on their mobile device, and appear in a special Appreciation page on the app. I encourage backers to use the name they want on the appreciation page as their Easter egg password, but its not a requirement.
It is possible to combine levels to let you have multiple rewards by adding up the reward levels and pledging that amount. You can even combine them into a single larger sized Easter egg!
- (15 days)