I love playing and inventing with Magnets, and since I first saw a Lorentz (or Homopolar) motor a number of years ago, I was fascinated by how fast such a simple motor could go. I started playing with various designs a month or so ago, trying to get the most speed out of them, and I found that different magnets, screws, and wire can greatly effect the maximum RPM, as well as the stability, of the motor. Unfortunately, there are quite a large number of combinations of these, and many of the stronger magnets are expensive.
The goal of this project is twofold:
First, to buy samples of as many different sizes and strengths of magnets as possible, and use those to determine the best combination of the magnets with various screws and wire that make the world's fastest 1.5V powered Lorentz motor.
Second, to create an attractive DIY kits so that Kickstarters can own that same motor!
The basic reward is the goal of the project: 'Max RPM', the final Lorentz motor kit cut out of 1/8" MDF, made with the combination of parts that results in the highest RPM. A prototype is shown below. It uses a AA battery because the AA has about 3 times the capacity of the AAA battery, while still allowing the structure itself to be compact.
A higher level reward is the Experimenter, which includes a taller, experimenter MDF version with a wide variety of magnets, screws, and wire so you can experiment to come up with the fastest as well. This will most likely be powered by a D battery, so you can experiment longer without changing batteries. The current version is below:
The Experimenter version will be sent out approximately two months before the Max RPM version. During the month after, the backers with the experimenter versions are welcome to submit their fastest combinations that I'll post in updates. The backer with the fastest verifiable combination will be posted as a special mention in the backers list, as well as in the Max RPM assembly instructions. At the end of a month the challenge will be over, and I will use the fastest combination in the final 'Max RPM' version, order the appropriate magnets, and ship them to the 'Max RPM' backers.
I've already made prototypes (see above) of the Max RPM and Experimenter models, and come up with a combination that rotates at approximately 12,000 RPM. With more magnets, wire, and screw combinations, I hope to reach 20,000.
Risks and challenges
There are not a lot of risks for completing the project. Ordering all the magnets from various magnet suppliers will take a few weeks, tweaking my already working designs to get maximum aesthetic appeal will take a few days. I have my own laser cutter, so producing the MDF and Acrylic kits will be no problem either. For the final 'Max RPM' $25 model, the bulk purchase of the magnets required will take up to a month, depending on the quantity.
One possible setback is the time it takes for the magnets to be built, and the only way to tackle that is to wait.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (27 days)