About this project
MINE is an anthology of comics, art and illustration in support of the reproductive rights campaign in Ireland, referred to on the internet as #RepealThe8th. It is edited by Karen Harte, an Irish illustrator and graphic designer, and Jessica Maybury, the editor of Girls Like Comics.
With artwork from artists all over the world, all proceeds will go to the campaign push after the printing costs and Kickstarter-reward-fulfillment costs are met.
Facts About Abortion In Ireland
Taken from the Abortion Rights Campaign website, here are five things you should know about abortion in Ireland:
- Abortion is only legal in Ireland when there is a high risk that a woman will die. Risk of death from suicide is grounds for an abortion. If a woman wants an abortion because she is suicidal, she has to be assessed by up to 6 doctors. These doctors have the power to decide if a woman will be allowed to have an abortion.
- Ireland’s abortion law makes it more difficult to get an abortion here than in most other European Union Countries.
- A woman who gets pregnant from rape is not allowed to have an abortion in Ireland. 197 women and girls who went to rape crisis centres in 2013 were pregnant as a result of rape. One in four chose to have an abortion. They had to travel abroad for an abortion or take abortion pills illegally in Ireland.
- A woman is not allowed to have an abortion if the foetus she is carrying will not survive outside the womb. In 2014, 140 Irish women travelled to the UK to have abortions for this reason.
- More than 3,600 women travelled from Ireland to Britain for an abortion in 2014. We do not know how many women travel to other European countries or take abortion pills in Ireland. 1,017 abortion pills were seized by Irish Customs in 2014. Many people are not able to travel abroad for an abortion, including people who cannot afford to travel, some migrants and asylum seekers because of their legal status in Ireland, and women who are too ill to travel.
Risks and challenges
Every project could potentially encounter unexpected obstacles (we hope it doesn’t come up, but it happens!).
Should costs of successfully completing this project go up, we'll be meeting those out of our own pocket.
Should the date of reward delivery become a bit later than expected, we'll keep you updated!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)