This book is for anyone who has ever felt awkward when reaching out to someone who is struggling. You know those times - when you see someone hurting and you don't know what to do or say.
Jen Marr was inspired to create this book because of this need to teach comfort as a skill. The lessons and insights in this book are based on the 25,000 connections Jen Marr and the Inspiring Comfort team made over the past several years.
Paws to Comfort empowers you with simple tools, inspirational stories, a framework to break through the awkward zone and become a better comforter with the power to change someone’s life. Just like dogs do so naturally - One comfort connection at a time.
Paws to Comfort will publish on November 11, 2019.
A simple truth is this: Everyone you know has a problem you don't know about. We all need comfort.
Consider these trends:
- The pace and stresses of everyday life keep growing.
- The world is increasingly a divisive and mean place.
- Technology that's meant to connect us instead leaves us feeling empty and disconnected.
- Studies show anxiety, depression, and suicide are on the rise.
Comfort is a skill - it's an action.
Comfort is at the intersection of compassion, empathy, and being intentional. It's pausing to see someone's pain and then showing up. It's connecting with a person in a way they know someone cares. Most people find making that one to one comfort connection awkward and tend to avoid it. But there are experts among us who instinctively know what to do. If you've watched a dog with someone who is struggling, you've witnessed it.
This is where Paws to Comfort begins. It reveals how we can be there for each other and move beyond awkwardness into meaningful connections - making the world a more comforting place.
Jen Marr, Founder of Inspiring Comfort, along with Skye Quinn, the Senior Design Coordinator of TIME Magazine, supported by Inspiring Comfort Co-Founders Mary Perry and Jill Bornstein created this beautiful book, Paws to Comfort.
Paws to Comfort is filled with emotional stories, everyday strategies, and interactive tools to make you a better comforter. The book is divided into 4 parts:
We decided to crowdsource this project because it isn’t just about selling a book: it's about building a community of comforters.
We hope you and all of your friends support our mission and pre-order Paws to Comfort and other rewards. Together, as a community, we can bring Paws to Comfort to life and bring comfort into our homes, schools, workplaces and communities.
Everyone who pre-orders the book will be named in the book in a special acknowledgment section. The first 500 people to pre-order a printed book will receive a special gift - our exclusive Comfort and Joy Holiday Ornament, crafted from beautiful white ash wood.
Do you think your workplace would benefit from many people receiving a copy of Paws to Comfort, or a workshop done by one of our founders? Please consider a larger pre-purchase bulk buy and a program. Contact us directly to work on details.
email@example.com for more information about this project.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO OUR BACKERS:
- Once the Kickstarter Campaign closes you will receive an email from us/kickstarter asking to confirm you shipping address - please respond as this is a critical step in the delivery of the book and other rewards and we cannot deliver without this response.
- Shipping and applicable taxes are included in price for all U.S. orders.
- Orders outside U.S. have an additional $20 shipping fee.
We have a goal of $58,710 for our first run of 2,500 copies and have worked hard to keep our costs down.
- Manuscript to Book -- $7,505
- Book Production and Delivery -- $21,250
- Launch and Promotion -- $17,475
- Additional Kickstarter Rewards -- $5,270
- Kickstarter Fees and State Taxes -- $ 7,210
We would really love it if we could go over the $58,710 minimum! If you can help us get to a higher level, you will allow us to:
- Produce up to an additional 2,500 first edition copies
- Market our mission to mental health organizations, schools and workplaces
- Show the world that this topic is incredibly important
To date, Inspiring Comfort has been a self-funded, social good company. With a financial investment from the founders and thousands of hours invested, we've transformed our programs. We've gone from a suitcase filled with supplies rolled into classrooms and conference rooms, to our more sophisticated evidence-based Comfort Programs.
Today anyone, anywhere can go online and purchase our inspiring do-it-yourself programs and supplies, or have Founders or comfort consultants lead custom sessions.
We have donated all of our time and many of our programs to bring this mission to life. We are now ready to take the next step in this journey with your help.
(Left to Right: Skye Quinn, Jill Bornstein, Jen Marr, & Mary Perry)
Thanks so much for all of your support! Together we can do this.
Jen, Skye, Mary and Jill
For more information about Inspiring Comfort visit our company website at www.inspiringcomfort.com
Risks and challenges
- The manuscript is almost done and is currently in design.
- The book will be ready for final editing in August.
- We are working with New Degree Press, the award-winning, innovative publishing and media company that aims to help creators demonstrate and inspire others through their work.
- We have a reputable printer and distributor to mitigate potential risks.
- We have built enough buffer into our timeline to allow for delays and to ensure a timely shipment the first week of November, 2019.
- The only challenge we could see from this project is getting serious demand, which would mean that we would need a little extra time to fulfill all of the book orders from this kickstarter campaign.
- The thing we really need right now is your support.
- (30 days)