Riddle of the Sphinx: An Egyptian Adventure in Real-time 3D
Explore secret chambers. Discover hidden tombs. And unravel an ancient Riddle entombed by the ancient Egyptians, in real-time 3D!
NEW FUNDING CAMPAIGN in the Works...
THANK YOU to all our supporters for getting us to this point, and for showing us that there is abundant interest in seeing Riddle of the Sphinx "reimagined" in 3D. Therefore, we are planning on relaunching the funding campaign of Riddle of the Sphinx in the near future after we build more audience awareness.
You can follow the relaunch at: http://www.riddleofthesphinx.com/kickstarter
More information will also be posted at: http://lifetreegames.com/riddle-of-the-sphinx
Riddle of the Sphinx is an epic Egyptian adventure game that takes the player through these compelling archaeological ruins and history of ancient Egypt while uncovering Biblical evidence answering age-old mysteries surrounding Giza Sphinx and Great Pyramid. Players of all ages have access to amazing life-like real-time 3D environments in this family-friendly archaeological adventure. (continued below)
Riddle of the Sphinx Screenshots
Major levels of the game involve exploring real-life archaeological finds, then taking those discoveries to the next level. Players assume their role as close friend and confidant of famous archaeologist Sir Gil Blythe Geoffreys as he excavates the site of the Sphinx. The tale begins as Sir Geoffreys realizes he has unwittingly unleashed an ancient curse while translating a sacred scroll. Sir Geoffreys dies, and the scroll mysteriously disappears.
The player’s task is to locate the missing scroll, finish Sir Geoffrey’s translation, and solve the time-worn puzzle before . . . well, we won’t spoil the intricately woven plot.
But there's more! Riddle of the Sphinx is also unique is that we have woven real archaeological finds into the gameplay that have yet to be completed. You can be the first to complete these discoveries and solve the Riddle (see the Timeline video for a list of actual archaeological work in and around Giza).
Family-Friendly Adventure Game
What was most endearing to many of our fans is the family-friendly story, intellectual challenge, educational bonus, and Christian nature of Riddle of the Sphinx. We have so many testimonials of this, it was hard to choose one that reflected it well. Out of all of them, this one stood out the most...
Just how BIG is Riddle of the Sphinx?
Riddle of the Sphinx is HUGE! It really just keeps opening up into more and more environments and an incredible amount of exploration.
- Explore around and IN the Great Sphinx
- Explore INSIDE the Great Pyramid, including the existing Grand Gallery, King's Chamber, and Queen's Chamber.
- These environments are exacting replicas of the real thing.
- Over 50 million sq.ft. of detailed 3D environments
- Over 100,000 sq.ft. of truly unlimited exploration
How accurate are the Sphinx & Great Pyramid models?
Riddle of the Sphinx was created after almost six years of detailed research, 3D modeling, and sculpting the perfect Egyptian adventure (for us, at least). The Sphinx and Great Pyramid were modeled to exacting detail (inside and out). About the only item we did NOT include is the graffiti defacing the Pyramid's walls.
But there is MUCH more to just exploring the Sphinx and Great Pyramid in it's wonder and awe. We went further and turned all of the speculation of secret chambers and hidden tombs into an immersive reality and megalithic archaeological adventure game.
This is your opportunity to take your virtual tour of the last of the "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World".
How does Riddle 3D compare with the original?
Subtle dust, dynamic fire and smoke, hi-def real-time rendering, and more await you as you discover a whole new experience. Imagine sacred artifacts and rare treasures fully accessible for full examination. Imagine every detail at your fingertips!
Here's a glimpse of one of the chambers in real-time 3D:
ROTS 3D Features:
- Unlimited exploration into almost every crevice of the myriad of detailed chambers and lush environments of ROTS.
- 360° Explore & Point-n-Click Simulation modes: you can choose to explore freely or have the visual continuity of point-n-click.
- Realistic Torches & Fire with smoke plumes
- Realistic Water ripples, flowing rivers, and underwater scenes
- Realistic Physics effects such as picking up objects, moving furniture and vases, opening doors, etc.
- Dynamic Time of Day and Weather. Explore the Giza Plateau and other outside areas in all times of day or night.
- Kick up dust that has been settling for millenia: Feel and see the dust kicked up in these ancient chambers. Of course, this can be disabled if you’re an allergic archeologist :)
- 3D Sound. With 3D sound, the sound will pan to match your direction.
- 15th Anniversary Soundtrack! As an added bonus, Jeff Tobler, original ROTS soundtrack composer, will be composing new musical textures more organic in feel than the originally orchestrated style. You will be able to toggle between the original, the new, or no music.
The Genesis of Riddle of the Sphinx
It all started over 15 years ago, with Karen and I, and a dream. Inspired by MYST (congrats to Cyan's successful Kickstarter campaign for Obduction) and armed with the powerful 3d tools and beautiful rendering engine of Strata 3D software, we thought it would be so intriguing to be able to explore the Sphinx and Great Pyramid without any restrictions. We got excited about the possibility of discovering the oft-speculated hidden chambers, secret passageways, and lost treasures that many say exists deep within these enigmatic monuments.
After many years of building the a virtual Giza Plateau (and more fictional areas), Riddle of the Sphinx was finally unveiled and the response has been amazing! ROTS has sold way over half a million copies to date.
Did you know there are scrolls cached deep within to the Queen's chamber? Did you know that there are other hidden chambers that were not accessible in Riddle? Well this time, with your help, we'll make these discoveries possible.
Here's your formal invitation to join the expedition...
We need your support to make real-time Riddle a reality! Join us on the expedition to re-make this epic adventure. It's up to you this time, not a publisher nor a retailer. We're ready and willing, and already working very hard on rebuilding Riddle in anticipation that there are enough adventure game fans who want to play this epic adventure. Plus, there is a whole generation who has never experienced ROTS. Therefore, we need your help to rebuild Riddle of the Sphinx in real-time 3D.
We're asking for a very small budget compared to most budgets for similar projects, but we feel it is realistic. You get to determine our ultimate budget.
EPISODE I - We're asking for $50k to complete the historical Sphinx and Great Pyramid areas, plus Gil's Tent and the Hidden Corridors.
FULL GAME - We're asking for $150k to complete the whole game.
NEW LEVEL & OCULUS RIFT VR - For the ultimate stretch goal, if we reach $200k we will add a whole new extended level new puzzles and Oculus Rift VR support.
To reach these goals we've come up with some exciting rewards to allow you to pledge over and above our minimum goal which will allow us additional creative license and more features, more puzzles, and much more exploration for YOU!
REWARDS - The rewards for your pledges of support for Riddle include:
- Riddle of the Sphinx itself in real-time 3D
- Exclusive ROTS 3D Soundtrack with never-before released tracks
- In-game Interactive Book of the Dead Ends Hint Guide
- Exclusive Kickstarter only Riddle 3D T-Shirt
- Special Edition Boxed Copy
- Hi-res Poster
- Limited-edition 3D-printed sculpture of the Sphinx or another object from the game,
- Gallery Quality Prints (framed, canvas wrap, and striking metal prints) from our friends at one of the best Photo Labs in the country, Diversified Labs located in St. Louis, MO,
- Our 3d Master Builder's Collection of the 3D shapes and textures found in Riddle of the Sphinx
- Some very unique in-game contribution opportunities to contribute to the project.
- Lastly, for those very generous supporters, you will have the opportunity to visit our ranch and development loft and get a sneak peek at the next game in the works, as well as lunch at a world-class restaurant in the area... our favorite place - you'll love it! (We will try to get images up soon so you can see what you're getting.)
Bottom line: your support will make Riddle of the Sphinx 3D a virtual reality. No other experience is out there like ROTS 3D.
Special Strata Design 3D CX BONUS
For anyone interested in 3D modeling, Strata's modeling software and rendering engine still captures our heart. And we encourage you to consider the current pledge reward of ROTS' 3D libraries that are native to Strata's Design 3D CX software. Plus, we are offering a special BONUS to the first 25 backers who receives the 3d collection.
A NEW Adventure Game in the works...
Riddle 3D is just the beginning. If we see there's enough interest and support for adventure games, we have a new immersive game in the design phase. We can't wait for you to get a sneak preview. But first things first. Show us how interested you are in a new immersive adventure game by showing your support for Riddle 3D.
The 3D Engine
We've narrowed it down to Unity 3D for Riddle's real-time 3D engine. The areas we've built in Unity are amazingly beautiful — much more immersive than we were able to achieve with point-and-click renderings. And the 3D effects such as dust as you walk and torches with wisps of smoke get us excited about this new 3D adventure.
Kickstarter has made it possible for indie game developers like us to bring our game designs back into the hands of Adventure Game fans! It's a win-win for all of us. You get a great game and we have the freedom to design the game with total creative license.
We appreciate your support and take your investment very seriously. Our goal is to present Riddle of the Sphinx in a better light than the original, with superior game play and graphics, while retaining the romance of the epic point-and-click adventure game genre.
THANK YOU for your support!
- Jeff & Karen Tobler, along with the Riddle 3D Team
Risks and challenges
We have been developing games and interactive media for over 20 years, including best-selling Riddle of the Sphinx and the sequel to Riddle: The Omega Stone. While these games were massive multi-year projects, we delivered a solid title each time and the games were well received. We have a proven track record of honesty, perseverance, and excellence.
Plus, we have an extra advantage bringing Riddle of the Sphinx into real-time 3D in that most of the assets and game logic are already complete.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)