Antilia - A Majestic 3D MMO
Antilia is an MMORPG featuring a beautiful world, original races, unique gameplay, and an innovative storytelling system!
Antilia - A Majestic 3D MMO
Antilia is an MMORPG featuring a beautiful world, original races, unique gameplay, and an innovative storytelling system!
Development on Antilia Continues Beyond the Kickstarter!
For the latest information on Antilia, please visit our website at: http://antilia-game.com.
You can also follow progress since the Kickstarter via:
Email Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/KL0FP
We want to share a world that is beautiful, interesting to explore, and is filled with likable characters and friendly players. We've taken inspiration for Antilia from both Western sandbox-style RPGs as well as our favorite fantasy authors - and are carefully crafting each gameplay system to stand on its own as fun and enjoyable. It has been quite a journey for us thus far - we've had to tackle difficult technical challenges, continually grow our creative skills, and embrace the idea that Antilia's success depends on the community's feedback in realizing our collective vision.
Forra - A World Like No Other!
Antilia is set in the world of Forra, a place filled with alien creatures and exotic magical technology. Races and civilizations have come and gone - leaving ruins to explore, and valuable clues regarding their fates. By day the world is illuminated by the mysterious Miirahn Star, while streams of magic color the nighttime sky.
As a player, you'll be able to travel across Forra freely, be it on foot, by cart, or by ship. Maps and exploration markers help aid you in navigating the world. On Forra, adventure isn't just limited to slashing through enemies - we aim to put as much thought and multiplayer opportunity into acrobatics, fishing, cooking, crafting, mining, and performance arts as we put into our magic and combat.
The Taipii are builders of wondrous cities, the artists of beautiful works, chefs of delicious food, and performers of amazing feats of grace and acrobatics. With the discovery of powerful magic-bearing crystals, the Taipii have integrated magic into nearly every art, craft, and profession.
The Taipii race is comprised of multiple bloodlines:
- Felo - The Felo bloodline is marked with individuals that are capable, quick-witted, but also a bit solitary. The Felo god-pair value individuality and independence, which they pursue through more subtle means than most gods. While proud and capable, Felos don't tend to handle tasks well that require teamwork.
- Lupan - Lupan blood is associated with strength, teamwork, and communication. The Lupan gods push for a democratic government where all bloodlines are equally represented, which often puts them at odds with the Kisan Monarchy.
- Kisan - The Kisan are strong in body and will. The Kisan gods formed a governmental Monarchy in the Taipii's early history, although their power has waned since arriving on Antilia. Kisans tend to have a no-nonsense, get tasks done attitude.
- Koro - Taipii with Koro blood are easily recognized by their unusual physical features - hooves, antlers, and a shorter tail. The Koro gods became disenchanted with the political maneuvering of the other gods, and instead promote a philosophy of honor, dignity, and respect toward fellow Taipii. Those with Koro blood tend to be level-headed, agile, and graceful.
- Vulan - Vulan blood is associated with cleverness, playfulness, and beauty. The Vulan god-pair live in the city of Ariiel - enjoying its freedoms while guiding the Taipii with a light hand. Those with Vulan blood are simultaneously admired for their beauty and mistrusted for their craftiness.
Driven from their nomadic territories on Orliia by a powerful enemy, the Taipii sailed across the Southern Sea in makeshift boats and landed on the Lantros Peninsula of Antilia. Largely abandoning their nomadic lifestyle in favor of building a fortified city for protection, the Taipii civilization has flourished in the peaceful abundance of their new homeland. That is, until their enemy the Chatoi spotted them on the nearby Isle of Kasau.
In addition to the Taipii, the world of Forra is populated with many other races which are important to the story, but will not be playable until a future expansion.
The Hsakanadrynn, or Sakii, are among the longest-lived creatures on Forra. The Sakii have mastered the arts of transmutation and multiple forms - and are among the most powerful creatures on Forra. In their true form, the Sakii rule the skies, while their elemental forms allow them to weave magic that rivals the gods. In the most beautiful, remote places on Forra, the Sakii nest in tribes, and within their minds, they explore Forra across all of its magical planes.
The Reisuii are brilliant problem-solvers and masters of machinery. Living in the sprawling underground caverns of Forra known as "The Deep", the Reisuii have become industrious miners - mastering the power of steam and explosives. For generations the Reisuii have been content to harvest resources underground; but, a new generation is venturing out of the mines, intent on finding new resources and building new machines to explore the surface.
Our Goals For this Kickstarter!
For this Kickstarter project, our primary goals are to expand the gameworld, improve our "first-pass" gameplay mechanics, and get a server up and running 24/7 for players.
Our mission is to build Antilia into a game that:
- Is easy for new players to install and learn how to play,
- Performs well on computers that meet our minimum required hardware goals,
- Provides as many multiplayer opportunities as possible, allowing players to team up both in and out of combat,
- Enables players to be creative and leave an impact on the world,
- Will continue to grow beyond the Kickstarter.
With that mission in mind, we've identified these essential improvements that must be made to the game:
- Official Installer - While a "zip" file gets the job done for testing, an official installer would help new players get into the game quicker and with fewer issues.
- Performance Improvements - We need to set a minimum target platform that is clearly communicated in the Kickstarter, and rigorously optimize Antilia's client to ensure it runs smoothly at a good frame-rate on that hardware.
- Server Stress Testing - While Antilia's server has been designed as a "cloud service" that can scale to handle thousands of players, testing that hasn't yet been in our reach. The server will need to be rigorously tested, and bottlenecks in the server code will need to be identified and eliminated.
- GUI Improvements - Centered largely on confusion that arises over crafted items all looking the same in the inventory, the 3D inventory will enable players to quickly distinguish their crafted and customized items.
- Fix Critical Bugs - From the alpha tests, there is a fair list of bugs that we'll need to fix. From friend lists that disappear to player characters that load last - we want to make Antilia the best game it can be.
- Server Budget - Included in the Kickstarter will be a special budget to ensure the server stays online post-Kickstarter for at least 1 year. Once all the Kickstarter goals are complete, we will release the game and start working toward expanding it.
New Game Systems
- Player Trade System - As Antilia's skills and crafting systems provide an ever growing array of customized items, players are going to need a way to share and barter directly with one another. This familiar system allows just that, while ensuring both parties agree to the final exchange before items change hands.
- New Workstation System - The 'workstation' concept is already established in Antilia with the cooking rack, smelting furnace, and anvil - but we'd like to replace the current UI-based interfaces with interactive gameplay. The new workstation system will offer a shared, 3D, physics-enabled space where one or more players can move things around, use various tools, and perform cooking and crafting tasks together. This system is the foundation upon which future cooking, smelting, crafting, and mini-games (card games, etc) will be based.
- Economy System - While it may not be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about exciting new gameplay systems, when a game's economy is broken it hurts everybody and has quickly ruined some games. The new economy system will allow us to create local economies which value rare imports over local products, and will track the supply and demand of items across time and region, as well as skill efficiency and drop rates. This will allow us to keep an informed eye on the markets, and allow us to respond quickly to bugs or exploits that might otherwise require a server shut-down.
- Training System - "How do I fish?" is the most commonly asked question in-game, followed closely by "Where is the hammer?" The training system will help new players get familiar with the game, learning the skills that they are interested in at their own pace.
- Player Houses & Buildings - We've designed a single system that will be appropriate for building both public and privately owned buildings. We aim to give players total control over their properties - including the interior, exterior, and furnishings. Individual rooms can be designated a name and purpose, and NPCs can be hired to tend storefronts.
- Books - Books will provide needed insights into the history of the Taipii and their culture, and may serve as a springboard for some quests.
- Virtual Gamemaster and Quest Journal - In place of the standard quest system we've designed an innovative event-driven "Virtual Gamemaster" system based on our own experiences running table-top and web roleplaying games. Each day unique events will be created in which participating players can reach multiple outcomes - leaving a lasting effect on the world.
- Party System - The best part of playing an online game is, of course, playing along with your friends. Adding more multiplayer opportunities is part of our mission for this Kickstarter. The addition of a party system will make it easier for players to work together as a team with their own chat channel, and give healers easy visual access to information like health and status of party members.
Improved Gameplay Systems
- Character Creation Improvements - When it comes to character customization, more tends to be better. More fur patterns, better color options, character history, and interesting bonuses and handicaps to add depth to your character.
- Movement, Acrobatics, and Collision - We recently added collision detection to Antilia, and as you can imagine, the next thing that happened was that we discovered a whole bunch of new ways the player can become stuck. Some basic new movement options such as jumping and treading water will need to be added - as well as more interesting acrobatic moves.
- Skill System Improvements - We've redesigned Antilia's skill system to work as an extension of character customization. Players can choose how they'd spend XP they earn in each discipline to unlock perks and tune their performance.
- Combat Improvements - With a new skill system, status effects, and the party system - combat is already going to become much more diverse in Antilia. Beyond that, it needs improved hit detection, new enemies, lootable corpses, ranged weapons, duel-wielding options, and opportunities for strategy.
- Magic Improvements - We are fans of unique magic systems in games, and for Antilia we'd like to create a system where players can literally "weave" magic. From drawing out complex traps that specifically suit the landscape to frantically throwing simple weaves at moving enemies - we want Antilia's magic system to give players a true sense of learning and mastering the Taipii art of magic.
- Fishing Improvements - While Antilia's current fishing system is a fun activity while chatting with other players - we'd like to make it more interactive and introduce more multiplayer opportunities to it.
- Cooking Improvements - With the new workstation system in place, we can replace the current UI based cooking system with something much more interactive. Players will design their own recipes, and then cook and combine ingredients as the flavor profile changes in real time. From a first-person perspective, players will experience the horror of overcooking fish in a fully interactive 3D workstation, and pots of mushroom soup will vividly burst into flame!
- Crafting Improvements - While the crafting system is already quite versatile, allowing players to customize their crafted creations for an endless variety of looks, we'd like to again move away from the UI based gameplay toward something that is more interactive and multiplayer. In place of a set of sliders, players will select what part of the crafted item they would like to change by heating it up in a furnace - and then adjust that area by applying various tools such as hammers to shape it. By turning crafting into a game system, the system will be a little more difficult to abuse by using boosted foods to quickly restore energy and mass-producing non-custom items.
New and Improved Content
- Lantros Peninsula - A vast new area of Antilia to explore, more than doubling the size of the explorable world! The Lantros Peninsula includes the City of Lantros from which the Kisan gods rule, the Tent Forest, the Red Fields from which silk can be harvested, and is known for its cold and windy weather!
- Ruins to find and explore on Kasau and Lantros - Also included will be ruined structures on both Kasau and Lantros. These structures can be explored repeatedly for treasures, and will include secret paths that require magic, a key, or solving a puzzle to access.
- New Caverns on Kasau and Lantros, and Underground Ruins - The caverns will be expanded with new areas - including underground ruins and new, dangerous enemies.
- New Clothing Designs and Accessories - While few color variations of two clothing sets got us through Alpha, we all want to see more clothing options and of course, armor. (Not to mention a wider selection of head gear...)
- Improved Audio & New Music Tracks - While Antilia is visually stunning when the detail settings are turned up, sound and environmental effects have lagged behind, and should be improved.
- Improved Animation - Our current animations are only placeholders, we'll want the final animations to appear smooth and realistic.
Kickstarter Project Budget
To ensure we can reach our goals, we've carefully budgeted each task and created the following breakdown. This will allow the development team to focus on development, and allow us to focus the funds raised on making the game rather than manufacturing and shipping products.
We have a Good Head Start!
Much of the foundation for Antilia has already been built. We've created a custom game engine which we call "Toi", and a complete suite of content creation tools for it. Antilia's server has been designed for dynamic scaling in the cloud, and with it we publicly hosted alpha tests throughout 2012 and 2013. Perhaps most importantly - we've established an internal framework for setting incremental release goals, managing issues, and completing tasks.
The Backer Rewards
- Forum Badge - The forum badge will appear next to your name on the forums, and indicate that you helped support Antilia on Kickstarter. These come in a few different colors, but if you prefer to keep your pledge a secret those who receive higher tiers can always request a lower-tier badge.
- Founders' Forum Access - Kickstarter Backers will have access to a private forum, at which they can ask Kickstarter-related questions as well as keep up-to-date on development progress (in addition to the Kickstarter site itself.)
Post-Release Access Rewards
- 6 Months Post-Release Access - Play Antilia for 6 months after the official release of the Lantros Peninsula. Extended access will be available for purchase after Antilia is released.
- 12 Months Post-Release Access - Play Antilia for 12 months after the official release of the Lantros Peninsula. Extended access will be available for purchase after Antilia is released.
- Character Slots - All Antilia accounts, including gift accounts include a minimum of 12 character slots.
Early Access Rewards
- Beta II Access (Server Tests) - Beta II will be the final testing phase before the game launches, where we test the load-bearing capacity of our servers. All backers that pledge $25 or more are invited to participate in these crucial tests!
- Beta I Access - Backers with Beta I access will be able to access and play the game before the final release. In Beta I, all the gameplay functions should be complete and in testing, and the server should be available to play almost 24/7.
- Alpha III Access - Backers with Alpha III access will be able to access and play the game before the final release. In Alpha III, most of the core gameplay systems will be in place, and the dev team's focus will be on extending content. Work will begin toward 24/7 availability and server load testing.
Alpha II Access - Backers with Alpha II access will be able to access and play the game before the final release. Alpha II is our next stage of development, a lot of core systems will be in active development as we give the gameplay a second pass, and the server may not always be online.
Note: Antilia has already completed the Alpha I development stage.
- Internal Testing Access - Backers with Internal Testing Access will have access to our test servers, as an opportunity to watch the game's development progress directly. It should be noted that the test server is more likely to suffer stability issues and the data on the testing server may be regularly reset. Unlike selected testers, backers who receive this reward are not required to test in order to keep access.
- Special Event Day Passes - Throughout development we would like to continue hosting special events as we did throughout Alpha I. These day passes will let the player log in for a day even if the server hasn't yet been opened up to their early access group. (Note that there may be some limits on the number of players allowed to spend a day pass on any day. We'll organize events to accommodate more players over more days if necessary.)
Gift Access Rewards
- 6-Month Post-Release Friend/Gift Codes - This code allows you to give 6 Months of Post-Release Access to Antilia to a friend. The gift copy also includes the same level of Early Access as the backer received, and 12 Character Slots - but does not include any of the other backer rewards.
- 12-Month Post-Release Friend/Gift Codes - This code allows you to give 12 Months of Post-Release Access to Antilia to a friend. The gift copy also includes the same level of Early Access as the backer received, and 12 Character Slots - but does not include any of the other backer rewards.
- Fireworks Bundle - Celebrate special events and Antilia's release with your own in-game fireworks! These bundles come in different sized bundles, "Small", "Medium", "Large" and "Extra Large".
- Fur Dye Patterns - While later expansions of Antilia may include in-game painting of custom fur dye patterns, Backers who receive this reward can try a simplified version of this system early. These patterns can be added and removed in-game with fur dyes, and may fade slowly over time through gameplay.
- Fur Dyes Bundle - These bundles include colorful dyes you can use to apply dye patterns onto your character! The larger the bundle the more colors and dyes you will receive!
- Special Backer Equipment - Details on exactly what the backer equipment will include are still being set, but for the purpose of balance these will be largely cosmetic items.
- Digital Book - Artwork of Antilia - Receive a digital copy of the book "Artwork of Antilia" upon the game's release. This book will feature seen and unseen concept art and illustrations from Antilia's development, and will include comments from the artists and developers.
- Digital Book - The World of Antilia - Receive a digital copy of the book "The World of Antilia" upon the game's release. This book will include detailed lore information on the world of Forra and its many unique lifeforms!
- Digital Soundtrack - Backers who receive the Digital Soundtrack will be able to download a digital copy of Nathan Madsen's beautiful score direct from the Antilia website! The soundtrack will include all tracks currently in the alpha, as well as all additional tracks composed for the Kickstarter!
- Special Backer Home Decor - Details on exactly what the backer home decor will include are still being set, but for the purpose of balance these will be largely cosmetic items.
- Guild Name Reservation - Reserve a name for your business or guild as soon as player-owned-properties are implemented!
- Backer Pet - Backers will receive a unique backer pet/mount, which they can use to carry items or ride upon!
- Design a Tattoo/Fur Dye Pattern (Exclusive) - Add some unique flair to your character with an exclusive dye pattern! Work with the dev team selecting from common elements, or illustrate and submit your own design for us to replicate in-game!
- Design a Taipii Fur Texture (Shared) - Would you like your Taipii to have a particular look? If you're willing to share your final pattern with other players, we'll offer you a discount! Submit an illustration of your design and we'll add it to the game.
- Design a Taipii Fur Texture (Exclusive) - Want your Taipii to look completely unique in the world? Submit an illustration of your design and we'll add it to the game.
- Name/Design/Hire an NPC - Design a custom NPC which will be reserved for hire! By default, players will be able to hire generic NPCs that are looking for work - but in this case you'll get to completely customize their name, appearance, and background via the Character Creator!
- Place a Reserved Building Location Anywhere - Been eyeing a spot you really want to call your own? With this reward you'll be able to plop down a large building in your favorite spot.
- Reserved Building Location near Designed Feature - For Backers Tiers including the opportunity to create a custom landscape feature, village, ruin, or island, a reserved building location will be allocated on or near the feature. When the backer is ready they can claim their reserved foundation and start building!
- Name/Design a Landscape Feature - Work with the Dev team to design a custom feature, such as a waterfall with a running stream. You'll get to name the location, and can reserve a building foundation on or near it.
- Name/Design a Village - For those that really want to leave a mark on the world, become the founder of a village! The village would need to be on one of the main landmass bodies, with some minimum distance between it and other cities/structures.
- Name/Design an Ancient Ruin - Work with the dev team to design and renovate an ancient set of ruins! The ruins would need to be on one of the main landmass bodies, with some minimum distance between it and other cities/structures. The backer can reserve a building location on the site, and that will use the same architectural style as the ruins!
- Name/Design an Island - Become the original explorer of a small island! Work with the dev team to position and name it (must be in the ocean, not a lake or river), and reserve a building location on the island!
Special Recognition Rewards
- In-Game Badge - This simple icon identifies your character as a backer in-game, and can be toggled on/off.
- Special Thanks in Credits - You will be acknowledged anywhere we list the game credits for your support! You can list your real name, forum account name, or both! (Real names must be accurate and forum names must meet community standards.)
- Special Plaque in Lantros - Choose a character to receive a special plaque of recognition in the Lantros gardens!
- In-Game Statue - Choose a character to receive an in-game statue! The statue will behave as a special exploration marker, and can contain a short, game appropriate description. Backers who have the option to design a custom landscape feature, village, ruin, or island will have their statues placed near their feature.
Post-Kickstarter Payment Model
To ensure Antilia continues to grow and operate beyond the Kickstarter, game access can be extended in a 6-month package for $30, or a full year for $50. All backer packages at $25 and above include "6 Months Game Access" or "12 Months Game Access" as part of the reward.
We are Right Brain Games!
We are a small team, but we are hard-working and passionate about building Antilia!
- Jeff Leigh - Lead Developer of Antilia, Jeff has over 15 years of experience in professional software development, and 3 years professional project management experience. Jeff has built numerous games and game engines as a hobby, and participated in the development of the mass-multiplayer online game "Earth Eternal".
- Kathryn Crownover - Kathryn is the artistic heart of Antilia - providing design concepts, illustrations, textures, and championing the written languages of the world.
We'd like to additionally acknowledge Nathan Madsen of Madsen Studios LLC for continuing to provide the beautiful and atmospheric soundtrack of Antilia!
We believe the most important service we can provide for players is in being open and transparent about who we are and how we are developing Antilia. We currently broadcast a weekly "behind-the-scenes" live event where we create content for Antilia, discuss game design, and answer questions from our community in live chat. It is our goal to continue these efforts and expand on them to keep players and backers informed on the status of development.
Risks and challenges
Working on such a large project with a small team has always presented challenges. If a member of the development team catches a cold for a weekend, all of their tasks can be delayed. When working on innovative or experimental designs, it is always possible for the designs not to work as we had initially hoped, and for re-design work to be required.
Expanding our team would help reduce this, and thus far our approach to minimizing the effect of these occurrences is to provide as much transparency regarding the status of the project as we can - through blog posts, live streams, and as often as possible by getting backers in the game on our real servers online.
Another potential challenge could arise if the Kickstarter receives far more backers than we are expecting, raising the size and costs of our server architecture. To prevent this scenario, we aim to be conservative with any stretch goals we offer - ensuring extra funds are budgeted for server development and operational costs.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (42 days)