Let's turn that frown upside down! Cone Down is the re-imagining of the disappointment that unites us all into an uplifting community-building experience. Community and kindness can turn even the toughest of days into days when your soul is overflowing with love.
We're building Art and we're building a community. Join us in the adventure of bringing big art to the playa and beyond.
Cone Down will be a 30' tall climbable ice cream cone sculpture, we are building in San Francisco with friends and volunteers. The frame will be made out of seven thousand of pounds of steel. The skin of the cone and scoop will be polycarbonate lit with thousands of individually addressable LEDs.
Cone Down is packed with fun and features:
- Interactive dance floor in the ice cream splash
- 30' ladder to climb
- Viewing deck on top with panoramic views of Black Rock City
- LEDs will have sound reactivity
- The entire cone and scoop will be lit up!
- Aerialist rigging on top
- Artists who made Rainbow Bridge animations are back and excited to have a wrap-around LED canvas to play with.
- 'Chill' lounge in the scoop with pillows (we encourage you to bring more pillows!)
- Visiting art cars can hook up to our interactive LEDs
- Black Rock Explorers are doing an ice cream social!
- 'Animal Onesie Sunset Meltdown'dance party with Heavy Petting Zoo Art Car
- Lechuga Especial DJ'ing 'Cone Down presents: Techno Hoe Down'
- Techno Gecko art car is visiting
- Galactic Jungle art car ensemble is visiting
- Ice cream will be served
- Josh Zubkoff, artist and organizer
- Srikanth Guttikonda, artist and LED lead
- Isaac Blackwood, fabricator, welder and artist
- Tracy Scott, lead software
- Michael Zee Weinstock, fabricator and artist
- Jon Dye, build team and fundraising
- Cody Smith, instigator
- RHBU Engineers, making sure this structure is safe and stable for Playa wonder
- Build Team: Alex Morrison-Rusas, Drew MacNeil, Chase Brignac, Seth St. Martin, and a few more brave souls!
- Todd Wolfson, interactivity design and build team
- Kevin Helms, electrical design!
- Yingjie Ou, Social Media
- Brigid Hughes, spokesperson
- Cassie Ott, Looking Up Board and giant tutu-maker emeritus
- Leslie King, awesome volunteer!
Our Kickstarter goal only covers around 35% of Cone Down's total estimated budget of $50,000 (after fees and rewards). We are happy to share that a chunk of the remainder comes from touring the Rainbow Bridge and rest from generous outside donations.
So your donations to build Cone Down will also help fund this 'community of doers' in the future.
- Sound system! Want us to own a sound system and incorporate it in our installations this year and for years to come? Help us hit $3000 over the total goal.
- Air conditioned chill lounge! And at $5000 mark past the total goal we all can have a 'chill' lounge that's true to it's name all week long.
Pledge $10 or more - Cone Down Sticker
Pledge $25 or more - Postcard from the Playa
Pledge $35 or more - Enamel Pin
Pledge $50 or more - Cone Down Camp Mug or Ice Cream Scooper:
Pledge $70 or more - T-Shirt, Tank Top, or Muscle Tee
Pledge $120 or more - Engraved Picture Frame & Art Print
Pledge $150 or more - Cone Down Hoodie
Pledge $200 or more - Hard-cover Cone Down Photobook
Pledge $200 or more - Cone Down Calendar of Arts
Pledge $500 or more - Limited Edition Vacuum Formed Lamp
Pledge $900 or more - Prototype Light Panel
Risks and challenges
Building for such a tight timeline and difficult place as Black Rock City has its risks, but our core team has a proven track record of delivering amazing large scale art pieces on time. As a team we've done five large builds successfully and on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)