How would you react if your world changed overnight? Would you look for causes of optimism, and hope for a better future? Would you try to find safety, certain that the worst is yet to come? Or would you celebrate the death of the old order, and try to forge a new path for yourself in the next world?
One year ago, we crowdfunded the second edition of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins with the help of over 1700 backers. Now it's time to return to the wasteland with three new supplements, bringing new characters, families, rules, wonders, adventures, and an entirely new setting to the game.
Why another kickstarter?
The three books in this campaign were initially unlocked as stretch goals for the Legacy 2e kickstarter, but unexpected costs while fulfilling that campaign meant we needed to come back here to fund a print run for these books and get them into your hands.
If you already backed the previous KS at the £15+ level, you're already getting PDFs of all the books made in this campaign! If you want physical copies, I'd recommend pledging at the Remnant level to get one book, and then raising your pledge to £30 to get two or £45 to get all three.
We're raising funds to create three new books for Legacy: The Engine of Life, End Game, and Free From the Yoke.
Each is a hardcover, approximately 120 pages long, Royal-sized volume (156mm x 234mm). Here's what you can find in them:
The Fall has come, and devastated the World Before. But it's not like we haven't suffered catastrophes before. Every time our world falls apart, we've found a way to survive - and not just survive, but work together with friends new and old to build a new life.
In this 120-page hardcover book, you'll find many ways to point your Legacy: Life Among the Ruins campaign towards an eventual rebirth. These include:
- New rules segments: the Prophet role for characters, a Coda to be a capstone on a character's story, Havens to place down in the world and Festivals to celebrate across the ages.
- Essays on life and rebirth from other authors: Love by Sawyer Rankin, Tradition by Chris Farnell, and Culture and Religion by James Mendez Hodes.
- Five new family playbooks: The geo-engineering Architects of Tomorrow, the Coalition (formed from multiple inter-dependant factions), the radical Syndicate of the Lost, the fate-manipulating Timestream Refugees, and the colourful and artistic Eternal Masquerade.
- Five new character playbooks: the artistic Beacon, the scholarly Historian, the self-sacrificing Saint, the potent but naive Prodigy, and the trailblazing Scout.
- Three new wonders: make the world bloom again with the Green Defiance, cross-link settlements with the Transport Network, and draw strength from your suffering with the Rising Faith.
- A new quickstart: In Burning Down Babylon, a once-great metropolis is slowly collapsing into entropy and anarchy. As a serial killer triggers a flashpoint crisis, can revolutionaries, justice-seekers, humanitarians and prophetic outcasts work together to save the city from fascist paramilitaries, autocratic religions, plagues and riots?
Fighting against entropy at the end of the world.
The main shock of the Fall is over, and we survived that... barely. But the world's remnants are fragile, teetering on the precipice of eternal oblivion. And even if we can hold it together, can we stand against the monsters that are far better adapted to this new world than we could ever be?
In this 120-page hardcover book, you'll find all sorts of horrors, monsters and torments to plague your game of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins. These include:
- New rules segments: the Traitor role for characters, Nightmares that present an epic threat for the players to test themselves against, and a Doom Clock that helps GMs manage the gradual unfurling of a terrible danger.
- Essays on doom and struggle from other authors: The Horror of Isolation by Kira Magrann, Tragedy by Slade Stolar, Synergy and Creative Playing by Arthur Pinto de Andrade, and Strategy by Norman Rafferty.
- Five new family playbooks: the plague-empowered Ascendant Afflicted, the animal-human symbiosis of the Bonded Pack, the opulent necromancy of the Deathless Elite, the Evolved Survivors who lurk in the world's shadows and corners, and the Eldritch Servants - followers, appeasers or opponents of the cosmic powers that ended the world.
- Four new character playbooks: the Hellion, gifted with incredible abilities they don't particularly care about controlling; the Herald, who draws power from the icons of pre-Fall culture; the Road Warrior, whose life is a whirl of car chases and haunting tragedies; and the Warlock, who finds allies among the broken and dark things of the world and uses them for their own purposes.
- Three new wonders: the Tartarus Site, a cage for a threat that could not otherwise be contained; the Watchtower, a lookout point for new dangers that spreads an invisible web of communications across the wasteland; and the Race to the Stars, a marvel that shifts your game from the wasteland to the airless void.
- A new quickstart: in Todesfalle, a military expedition stranded on an insidious and hostile artificial planet must work with the alien castaways already living there to fight back against behemoths, protect a child with miraculous powers, and find a way home.
Free From the Yoke is a standalone fantasy hack of Legacy - you don't need any other books to play it, although the play advice in the Legacy corebook is still cross-applicable.
The game is inspired by the Medieval Rus, with a dash of Game of Thrones. An occupying force has recently withdrawn from the Homeland causing a power vacuum, with one family - the Arbiter - holding the lion's share of authority.
This game tweaks Legacy's core rules to include inter-house intrigue, ancient magic, and a ruling Arbiter who your Families must appease, manipulate or keep at bay. Included in the book are:
- Rewritten core moves: these move Legacy towards fantasy, mystery and politicking. Place a geas on your pupils when they Learn a Ritual, engage in dramatic Duels, spend your House's Coin to Speed the Wheels and more.
- Mechanics for the Arbiter: keep them at bay and isolate yourself from society, heavily invest in their projects and win political favour, or call on the aid of the Arbiter's Hand to back your character up on their adventures.
- New House playbooks: merchants, horselords, lorekeepers, mariners, artisans, and the clergy.
- New Character playbooks: the heroic Bogatyr, the wily Scout, the genial Ambassador, the canny Merchant, the trailblazing Explorer, the mystical Loremaster, and the plucky Vagabond.
Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd Edition is a role-playing game about the survivors of a reality-twisting apocalypse, and the new society they build in the rubble of the old world. Based on the groundbreaking Apocalypse World engine, it adds innovative mechanics for changing the scale of your game - zooming in to individuals and zooming out to entire factions, jumping forward generations, and building a new history for the world as you play.
Successfully crowdfunded in 2017, the game is now a gold bestseller on DriveThruRPG and has found fans worldwide. If you're interested in learning more about the game, pick one of the free quickstarts on DriveThruRPG or watch it played on youtube:
The books above aren't the only things you can get from this kickstarter! You can also get these following items, either by upping your pledge during the campaign or picking them after we've funded in BackerKit.
£15: Another one of the New World books. If you're already getting one of the new books from this kickstarter, pay £15 more to get another. Note for Remnant backers: This does not get you the PDF of the book.
£15/35: Legacy Life Among the Ruins 2nd Edition. Get the book that all of this is based on! Pay £15 to get the PDF, or £35 to get the PDF and Book.
£10: Resource cards. Each of the 54 cards in this deck describes a particular Resource - maybe Energy, or Recruits, or Defences - and suggests how your family might look with a Surplus of or Need for that resource. The deck contains 2 copies of cards for 24 resources, plus 6 blank cards for you to fill in your own as appropriate. Great for tracking the state of your group's families, and each card back has a unique piece of Legacy 2nd Edition art!
£15: Handout cards. 48 A5-sized dry erase cards, including one for every character, family and wonder in Legacy: The Engine of Life and Legacy: End Game, all printed in full colour and presented in a tough plastic box.
£5: Art poster set. Four A3 posters of the art from Legacy.
£14: Legacy Custom Dice Set. Get a set of 6 six-sided dice, custom-made and laser-engraved for us by Q Workshop.
£15: Legacy Handout Sheets. Get a pack of 52 dry-erase cards containing every Family and Character playbook, Wonder and basic move from the Legacy 2e corebook to reference at the table.
£7.50/15: A World of Legacy. Spend £7.50 to get the PDF, or £15 to get the physical book, for one of our alternate settings for Legacy. Try out the deep-space survival of Generation Ship, the evolutionary biopunk fantasy of Primal Pathways, the apocalyptic clash of divinities in Godsend, the hard sci-fi colony politics of Worldfall, or the gothic action of Rhapsody of Blood.
£12.50: What Ho World or Wizards Aren't Gentlemen. Try out one of UFO Press' storytelling card games - tell a story of foppish 1920s socialites or scheming sorcerers using just this deck of custom cards, with no prep, GM or random rolls required.
£17,000: Resource Cards - DONE!
At this level, we'll unlock another add-on - a 54-card deck of poker-sized cards, each for a specific resource and giving you ideas of what that resource means in surplus and in need. The pack will contain 6 blank cards for you to fill in your own ideas, and come in a printed tuckbox to keep it safe. Finally, each card will have a different piece of art on the back. This deck will cost £10 to grab once it's unlocked.
£19,000 - Game Handouts - DONE!
A deck of dry erase sheets of every playbook and wonder in these books, along with quick-reference sheets for the new character roles (Prophet and Traitor) so you can keep track of their effects on core-book character playbooks.
£21,000 - Pay rise - DONE!
If we hit this level, I'll give all the authors who worked on this book a pay rise, significantly raising the amount they were compensated for their work. I'm really happy with all their work, so it only makes sense they share in this project's success.
£25,000 - Slipcase - DONE!
If we hit this level, we'll give every backer getting all three books a complimentary slipcase to keep them in. As with the Deluxe edition of Legacy and the Worlds of Legacy box set, this slipcase will be made of study cardstock and covered in colourful Legacy art.
£30,000 - System Reference Document
If we hit £30k, I'll open up the Worlds of Legacy to everyone! Specifically, I'll put together a System Reference Document (SRD) website setting out the core concepts of Legacy, how to go about hacking them, and offering a license you can use to publish them - something along the lines of this site for Blades in the Dark. This site will take some effort to put together, but I'm excited to give this wonderful community all the tools they need to keep making Legacy games, and extra content for existing settings.
International shipping can be a real headache, especially for smaller publishers. To help mitigate some of that, I'm not charging shipping fees now but instead will charge them after the campaign using BackerKit when I'm ready to ship and know exactly how much it'll cost.
Risks and challenges
We've delivered several kickstarters at this point. Over the past year, as we've fulfilled the Kickstarter for the 2nd edition of Legacy, we've written and delivered seven thousand copies of six different books worldwide, and have thoroughly tested our skills at book writing, production, printing and distribution. Now we're fully ready to use those skills for this campaign, making it as smooth as possible.
To help with that, these games are mostly written and playtested. But don't take our word for it: over the course of this campaign, and post-funding, you'll receive regular updates about the state of the game, including playable drafts, and we're very proud of our reputation for transparency and professionalism.
- (30 days)